Proper Black for Tail Panel on Cuda

Author Topic: Proper Black for Tail Panel on Cuda  (Read 3104 times)

Offline cwestra

Proper Black for Tail Panel on Cuda
« on: January 26, 2009 - 07:58:07 PM »
I am looking for the proper black used on tail panel for my '70 Cuda.  Semi flat appears to shinny and flat seems like it might be too flat.  Any recommendations would be a great help. 
Corey - in Northern Indiana

Alaskan_TA

Re: Proper Black for Tail Panel on Cuda
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009 - 08:04:31 PM »
The original stuff is called Organisol.

Offline cwestra

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009 - 08:44:53 PM »
Did they use that on the tail panel too?  I know it was used on my fiberglass hood. I don't know of anyone still using that anymore.  I hear is was a pain to get right.  Hoping for a good "modern day" alternative.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009 - 09:59:01 PM by cwestra »

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009 - 09:44:46 PM »
Here's an article on it I saved.

If you want the 88% correct textured finish you must use DDL9355 Lacquer. 88% correct because the texture additive changed slightly from the orig. If you want the catalyzed, semi-gloss, smooth sheen finish enamel it's DCC9355...
Organisol Black Revised 01-2009

You must lay the paint down wet or the texture will stand up instead of lay down and you will have an extremely rough finish that attracts everything.

Use the slowest thinner you can find and add some retarder as well if it is above 80 degrees. If possible use over black primer.

Allow surfaces to dry for several weeks before painting cover coats. This is important.

Put 2 light cover coats of semi gloss black over grey primer, allow to dry at least 24 hrs or more before organisoling

Use a gun with a big tip 1.4mm or larger

Cross coat the large area surfaces in 3 directions –eliminates streaking of texture diag first, short length, long length with overlapping passes. It must go on wet.

Test spray before committing to car. Practice a little. Use SLOW thinner !!!! Lay on WET!
Do not lay on dry, paint horizontal.

Patience!!!!! Thin per instructions min 150%

After getting full coverage of texture typically 4 coats thin each progressive coat 25% Use your judgment Think about 6 coats.

Allow each coat to dry for at least 30 min.
Allow each coat to dry for at least 30 min.

Texture must cover surface completely-there should be no gaps in the texture. The purpose of laying it on cross coating & wet is to get the texture to lay down. I am no expert, but I do paint and I have done my fair share of wresting with this paint.

Edge it in with a touch up gun,

Use fine line tape on all paint edge breaks

Do the bottom side of the hood first-part of your practice

Paint All other surfaces at the same time as the top side of the hood.

Make sure grille is out of the car

Across the tops of the fender & across the front header panel be sure to add 1 extra coat of Organisol to resist the long term wear of the paint from stones etc..
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline cwestra

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009 - 12:23:37 PM »
Thanks for the details on the painting techniques Topcat.  It certainly sounds like you have had some experience with the stuff.  I have not, but know enough to realize it's not a typical paint.

I am familiar with the 9355 number from my research previously, but  I recall my jobber having trouble crossing it with his product (MS/Valspar).  Is this the original Oraganisol P/N or an equavilant match from PPG or BASF? 

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009 - 12:47:50 PM »
Actually I never had sprayed Organosol before. But I wanted to keep these notes on it for when I need to do the tail panel area. Probably not quite as difficult as doing a hood to come out looking right. Organosol is a laquer paint originally. That probably explains why its a little more work to get it coming out right.

There is a Chrysler TSB that should be able to be found from Barry's website: TSB D69-23-6 regarding Organosol.

As far as cross referencing the #'s, I would say to let your painting sales rep try and find it based as a laquer?
Or contact Roger Gibson Restorations. I do know he has it available.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline cwestra

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009 - 01:17:23 PM »
Great.  Thanks, again.

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2009 - 06:16:13 PM »
spray can available... select parts then paint
http://www.totallyautoinc.com/
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline RUSTY Cuda

• One big step foward!
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2009 - 06:33:07 PM »
I used ppg's mix which my local supplier had the codes, not knowing any better I didn't do anything special in the process, don't wanna step on the TOP Cats toes, he evidntly put a lot of work into his painting, just saying I had good success with my regular amature method , was a one step shoot, no clear, Shot 2 coats over gray primer,I think the paint they gave me had two additives, I could dig out the bill if anyone needs the specs.
Now I didn't go over it with a magnifying glass & can't say how close to original it is, but it looked pretty good to the naked eye.

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2009 - 06:43:53 PM »
spray can available... select parts then paint
http://www.totallyautoinc.com/

The Totally Auto stuff is......

.............totally awfull.  :2cents:

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2009 - 07:01:05 PM »
The Totally Auto stuff is......

.............totally awfull.  :2cents:

Really? I haven't used their black but I have used their argent (dark and light) with pretty good success.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2009 - 07:17:44 PM »
The batch I bought form them had chunks in it. Organisol if propery applied has a light texture to it. This stuff had actual chunks. It was rougher than 35 grit sandpaper.  :screwy:

Offline cwestra

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2009 - 08:25:09 PM »
I understand that it is supposed to have a texture comparable to sandpaper, however, not sure what equivalent grit.  Chunks sounds like a little too rough.  How did you get it to come out of the gun even?

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2009 - 08:56:21 PM »
I had 12 cans, when a tip clogged I would swap another one on from another can, I soaked each one as it clogged in laquer thinner to clean them. After tryng the third can I gave up.

The texture is VERY light, this is a close up from the low mile T/A hood;

Offline FY1Cuda

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2009 - 10:14:47 PM »
We were happy with the TotallyAuto Organisol.  The can came with two nozzles, and as Barry alluded, they were both needed. It lays down very evenly unlike some spray can paints and looks very good under bright sunlight.