Author Topic: What rattle can spray primer is compatible with epoxy primer?  (Read 4267 times)

Offline Chlngrcrzy

What rattle can spray primer is compatible with epoxy primer?
« on: January 27, 2009 - 01:26:05 PM »
What can i use for touch ups untill i am ready to prime the whole car? I have already covered it with ppg's epoxy primer, but i still need to do a number of sheet metal repairs. Once i finish with all metal repairs, then i will clean those areas up and hit it with epoxy again. But i can never tell when i will be back to continue on, so i want to keep the meatl protected.

Offline Oldschool

• Administrator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 9-05-06
Re: What rattle can spray primer is compatible with epoxy primer?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009 - 01:39:31 PM »
There are a couple that are used over epoxy with success. SEM and DuPont both make a decent rattle can primer.  Dupont's is a little pricey, but it works.  The key is to use very light coats and avoid heavy applications.  Multiple light coats are way better than one or two heavy coats.  Take your time and it should be fine....     :2thumbs:   
Ken  --  In Georgia

MOPAR-------"Built To Run------Here To Stay"

Offline elitecustombody

• Supra collector
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009 - 02:50:09 PM »
Sherwin Williams GBP 988 Self Etching Primer is one of the best,it actually bites into metal or any surface,prepped or not,it's not a heavy build primer,so it's perfect for keeping the metal from flash rusting and when you have to go back into it for any reason,welding,body work,it won't give you hard time, I've been using this stuff for a while and love it, I think I pay around $8 per can
Stefan B

Elite Custom Body = AMD Sheetmetal & Glass at great prices !!

Don't do what's easy, do what's right!!

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009 - 05:34:08 PM »
I was told to get this stuff and got a can at 13 bucks a can. Is this stuff any good? Transtar 6183 self etching 1k primer. It says FINISH-TEC on the can in vertical letters.  :dunno:
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline elitecustombody

• Supra collector
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009 - 06:41:53 PM »
 I'd use better product line than Transtar,cause it's some of the cheapest ,but it should work
Stefan B

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009 - 06:45:44 PM »
How much is the good stuff? I kinda thought 13 bucks was high for a shaker can of primer lol.
*Brett*

Offline 340SIX

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009 - 07:00:46 PM »
[qupte]Self Etching Primer is one of the best[/quote] You should not use self etch ontop epoxy or 2K it is acid that makes it stick to a bare metal surface with out sanding.
The acid may mess up the primer you spray it on

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2009 - 07:03:29 PM »
What I was told to get this for is stuff like the hood latch support and top plate. Things that need to be body color but were not installed on my car. I have to media blast these pieces and was told to put this stuff on as soon as possible.
*Brett*

Offline elitecustombody

• Supra collector
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2009 - 10:21:11 PM »
How much is the good stuff? I kinda thought 13 bucks was high for a shaker can of primer lol.

I didn't mean it was the cheapest,it's just Transtar is a low budget line,that's all, I'm sure the stuff you got will do it's job on the small pieces you are planning to use it on
Stefan B

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2009 - 10:25:09 PM »
I didnt take offense, was just wondering what the good stuff costs compared to what I have. Now I can really make you cringe because I dont know the difference between a good primer that will adhere and take paint well and the white label stuff they sell at Walmart and Autozone lol.
*Brett*

Offline elitecustombody

• Supra collector
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2009 - 10:37:16 PM »
[qupte]Self Etching Primer is one of the best You should not use self etch ontop epoxy or 2K it is acid that makes it stick to a bare metal surface with out sanding.
The acid may mess up the primer you spray it on

are you speaking from years of experience and use or just from something you read on some forums by some clown that only reads labels but yet has no idea what is what and has no hands-on experience?

I posted from years of personal experience,I have used this primer on just about any surface,from bare metal & aluminum,to E-coated ,factory etch primed,painted ,polyester primed,2K primed,raw TPO plastics,ABS plastic,urethane,body filler,seam sealer and chrome parts with great results, as with anything, one must use common sense,medium light coats with few minutes between coats will do a much better job than heavy wet coats ,that's the only trick 
Stefan B

Offline 340SIX

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2009 - 01:30:36 AM »
are you speaking from years of experience and use or just from something you read on some forums by some clown that only reads labels but yet has no idea what is what and has no hands-on experience?

I posted from years of personal experience,I have used this primer on just about any surface,from bare metal & aluminum,to E-coated ,factory etch primed,painted ,polyester primed,2K primed,raw TPO plastics,ABS plastic,urethane,body filler,seam sealer and chrome parts with great results, as with anything, one must use common sense,medium light coats with few minutes between coats will do a much better job than heavy wet coats ,that's the only trick 
I worked at a shop and have used this stuff for years. You may be able to get away with using it. But you may not, the etch has acid in it to make it stick/grab the bare metal with out sanding{a chemical bond vs a machanical bond}
We never did it since the acid in the etch may soften/react with the epoxy primer{we used PPG-DP} on cars we striped 100% followed by  2K used slick sand and a producty called ultamite  for 2K 
Times do change the etch they make as of today may not do it but the tech sheets say do not do it.