Author Topic: Dash Question - metal core - same on 73 Challenger as 70 Cuda?  (Read 1081 times)

Offline Grasshopper

Dash Question - metal core - same on 73 Challenger as 70 Cuda?
« on: January 27, 2009 - 04:29:41 PM »
1973 Challenger Questions - Just starting to try and fit the dash pieces together and see what parts are missing and any foreseeable issues.

I bought the car as a project and it came with a mix of parts from at least 10 different cars.

So my question - I have a metal core from a 1973 Challenger (at least i think it is see pictures) and a dash pad from a 1970 Cuda (which right now I was leaning to just put a  cap on it).  Some parts of the core looked like they were cut.  I have tried to point these out.  Any issues?

Are the metal dash cores the same in a 70 cuda and 73 chally?  I can't seem to line up the rivets properly.

Also, is the standard dash cluster the same on a 70 cuda the ame as it is on a 73 Chally?  I couldn't get the cluster even close to fitting on the meatl core (see pictures).

Again, I didn't take it a part so i am trying to find pictures to see how it all fits.

Thanks in advance.

Offline quapman

• Resident
    • Auto-Grip on Facebook
Re: Dash Question - metal core - same on 73 Challenger as 70 Cuda?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009 - 06:37:44 PM »
Dash frames are all the same. Standard clusters are the same physically, but the fonts are different for the 70 cars. Yours look correct for 73, but you have two lenses missing (high beam, oil?).

The cluster should mount to the tabs you are pointing to with four #10 phillips-head screws. They don't always line up perfectly.

The pad you have should accept a cap and fit on your frame with no issues. Again. the holes don't always line up well, so you'll need some wiggling and probably a few swear words to get them together.

Once you get that nasty gash straightened, the only problem I could forsee would be missing holes for the plastic trim pieces. 70 Challenger trim is different from all others, so watch for that. 70J parts have "pointed" edges.

Can you get a "straight-on" picture of where the gauges mount??

Steve
My name is Steve and I'm addicted to Challengers...

Offline Katfish

• Resident
  • 70 Challenger
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009 - 07:18:41 PM »
 :iagree:

Metal frame should be the same.  Although there are cosmetic differences, all parts will interchange.  I swapped in the gauges and trim from a 73 into my 70 Challenger.

Offline Grasshopper

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009 - 11:40:36 AM »
Steve and Katfish,

Thanks guys!!  I am still new to the hobby and everything is a learning experience for me.  Never put a dash together before.

So...I have the swearing part down pretty good now!!

Just have to figure out the dash!

Thanks again,
John