Author Topic: Gettin' ready to sing!  (Read 633 times)

Offline ViperMan

• Resident
  • 2017 Carlisle or BUST...
    • JS Custom Cars
Gettin' ready to sing!
« on: January 28, 2009 - 10:28:59 AM »
I just felt like sharing this.

This Saturday morning I'll be driving up to my Alma Mater - PennState University - to participate in the 20th Anniversary Reunion and Concert of the Dreamers of Phi Mu Alpha.  The Dreamers are an a capella group which was created in 1989 when a request was put in to the Phi Mu Alpha professional music fraternity's Alpha Zeta chapter at PSU to perform for a local function in State College, PA.  What was originally intended to be a one-performance gig of some 50's doo-wop songs quickly snowballed larger than the chapter ever imagined.  Today, the Dreamers perform weekly during the collegiate football season, perform for numerous greek activities and other campus-related social functions, THON fundraiser and awareness events, and host their own concerts every semester.  They are most known for "Singing Valentines," during which they can be hired for $10 to go anywhere on or nearby campus to sing a song of your choice and deliver a rose.  They do this for usually four days, and are often booked every fifteen minutes from 8 am straight through 'till midnight.  It is the chapter's most significant fundraiser of the entire year.

I sang with the Dreamers from Fall of 1999 until Spring of 2001.  I sacrificed my last two spring break vacations to travel with the Dreamers through PA, NJ, MD and NY, promoting music in the schools.  I participated in Singing Valentines, and sung at the Annual THON event, which raises MILLIONS of dollars for cancer research and medical assistance to children with cancer and their families.  I'll be reuniting with many of my fellow Dreamers members, and will be singing in a huge concert that will represent 5 generations of the group.

The concert is open to the public for a $5 admission fee, more information is available at http://www.clubs.psu.edu/up/sinfonia/dreamers/

Jeff
2000 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe - 8.0L V10, 6-Speed Tremec
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - Trail Rated - 4.7L V8, Auto
2010 Dodge Challenger SE Rallye - 3.5L V6, Auto (Wife's!)

Offline moparmaniac59

• Resident
  • Drive it like ya stole it!
Re: Gettin' ready to sing!
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009 - 05:04:38 PM »
Kudo's to you Jeff. That's awesome that you did that and it sounds like you thoroughly enjoyed doing it. Hope you have a great time. On a side note I was looking on Racingjunk.com and saw a modified '99 Viper for 32K. It is black on black with black rims and looks AWESOME!! You get the chance, check it out!!! Wish I had 32K, I think I'd make an offer. Right now I think I'm about 30K short!! :roflsmiley: :roflsmiley:

Matt B.
Matt

Offline Aussie Challenger

• Resident
  • In Kansas loaded for Drive to West Coast.
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009 - 05:31:05 PM »
  Great to see you helping out like that, but the biggest decision is which car will you take??   :burnout:
Dave

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009 - 06:39:43 PM »
Are you going to do a solo??   :stirpot:

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009 - 10:35:19 PM »
vi ga roe, vi ga roe  vi  - agra    That's very noble of you Jeff. :2thumbs:

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2009 - 12:20:29 AM »
Cool!   

Offline ViperMan

• Resident
  • 2017 Carlisle or BUST...
    • JS Custom Cars
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2009 - 11:41:53 AM »
Roads are still pretty bad for a Viper, but it's been my dream to cruise around the PennState Campus in a Viper for a loooooooong, looooong time...  So if - at the last minute - conditions improve, the Viper's goin'.  ('Cuda wouldn't make it through the mountains!)

Yes, I will most likely be singing the solo for "Every Rose Has It's Thorn," and possibly doing vocal percussion for songs like "Freshmen," "All Right Now," and/or "Hooch."  We'll also be performing a Polka Power medley by Weird Al Yankovic, in which many members get to sing snippets of various solos.  We'll also be doing a Britney Spears medley (that song is HILARIOUS) which I might have to help out with on vocal perc.

Singing with the Dreamers was probably one of the most significant things I did in my entire life.  It was such an incredible experience, I'd do it all over, again and again and again.

Thanks for reading, guys.

Jeff
2000 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe - 8.0L V10, 6-Speed Tremec
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - Trail Rated - 4.7L V8, Auto
2010 Dodge Challenger SE Rallye - 3.5L V6, Auto (Wife's!)