Author Topic: Challengers in Movies  (Read 4679 times)

Offline challenger72rt

• My l'il girl w' Dodge hat
Challengers in Movies
« on: May 29, 2004 - 10:47:06 AM »
Being from Ottawa, Canada, I have to admit that I get too amused whenever American TV mentions Canada.  It's an odd patriotic thing.  

In that same light, I get giggly whenever I see a Challenger in a movie.  Not just blatant like Vanishing Point, but just brief cameos.  There is a sweet Chally 'vert in The Craft, and Ass-ton Kutcher has one in Just Married, although it makes Joe Dirt's Superbird look like a show car ::)

I recall reading a brief article, where the Oliver Stone says he used an orange Challenger 'vert for Natural Born Killers because he thought it looked like a car a psycho would drive  ;D

As much as I hate to admit it (especially that LAME ejector seat BS) I really liked parts of 2Fast 2Furious because of the Hemi Chally.  The street race where the little turbo was farting, and Fabio revs the Hemi, echoing into the night gave me chills as a flood of stop light showdowns came flooding back.

Other than Phantasm, I don't recall any 'Cudas (except the infamous Nash Bridges 'Cuda,..sweeeeeet)

Does anybody else sit up in their theatre seat when they see a Chally unexpected on screen??  

Feel free to share examples of films with an E-Bod that really caught your attention.

My favorite TV reference has to be good ol' Al Bundy, and his undying dedication to his Dodge (err, well, his Duster).  The car wash episode was the BEST!!  When they thought they lost his Dodge, but it turns out that when they washed off all of the dirt, it was a different colour..a gorgeous sparkling red.  

Manager:  I apologize Mr. Bundy for losing your car.  We could replace it..how does a new Honda sound?

Al:  Like an old lawnmower I WANT MY DODGE!!!
"Once upon a time I had a really bad Monday"

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re:Challengers in Movies
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2004 - 11:42:12 AM »
Oliver stone was close , I have a Chall but not a vert ever  8)

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline 360 'CUDA

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2004 - 12:03:27 PM »
I don't watch this show but my wife does.....

She called me in once to the holloween episode of
Dawsons creek a couple of years ago.

The kids are driving down a deserted highway when
an all black '72 Challenger chases them around for
twenty minutes. At the end the Chally "crashes" into the
ditch with no damage but when the kids open the
Challys door no one is in it

ooohhhh, scarey :D

Offline challenger72rt

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2004 - 12:21:11 PM »
I recall the show Viper..very cheesy Canadian show about a Dodge Viper R/T10 that changed into a metal plated GTS with a host of gadgets that make KITT look like a can opener.  The mechanic drove a plumb crazy '72 for the first few seasons, then went to a '71 Cuda for the final year.

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2004 - 08:58:00 PM »

I don't watch this show but my wife does.....Dawsons creek. :D

Yeah rightttt  ::) LMAO!!!!  ;D ;D ;D

1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline Katfish

• Resident
  • 70 Challenger
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2004 - 10:41:35 PM »
There is a pretty nice white Challenger in Terminal Velocity, Charlie Sheen is driving it around until the bad guys fill it full of bullets in a shoot out scene.  The movie is actually pretty good with lots of action and a neat scene where Charlie pulls Natasha Kinski out of the trunk of a free falling Cadilac while skydiving!

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2004 - 11:36:53 PM »

Yip I saw that.........what about that "Drama" series FX or something used to have all kinds of Muscle cars including a 1970 plum crazy Challenger.......... :D
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

lemonboy69

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2004 - 12:25:05 PM »

I wish someone had taped myself, Rev, and her husband Chris in the movie theater when we went to see 2Fast... there were a bunch of ricers in the theater and when that Chally came on screen and fired up... we jumped up and cheered!!! :o ;D ;D ;D Great times!!!

Anybody pay CLOSE attention during Space Jam?? When MJ first gets to his house, there's a '70 or '71 Challenger convert with a luggage rack that drives by with people screaming "Hey Michael!".... anybody ever seen that one?? ::) ???

LB

Offline challenger72rt

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2004 - 06:59:32 PM »
oh yeah!  Terminal Velocity!!  I have that on tape!  I forgot!  aLSO tHE wRAITH!!  eXCELLENNNTTT!!  

The TV show Fastlane had a lime green Chally also

Offline 360 'CUDA

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2004 - 08:36:29 PM »
Oh yeah (The Wraith)

first Sherilyn Fenn movie :-*

I guess some guy named Charlie Sheen was in it too :-\
« Last Edit: May 31, 2004 - 01:46:12 AM by 360cuda »

Offline DodgeFreak

• Cars and trucks are my friends..
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2004 - 01:38:31 AM »
Don't remember the name of the movie...but i seen one with a Yellow Superbee at the begaining..sweet as...heck...and then there was anothe show with a lime green chally.. ;D sorry can't remember the names been along time sincei have seen em.
74 Plymouth Duster- restoring

77 Dodge D150 shortbox- as long as i don't change my mind will be a step side dually diesel or a 383 powered truck

04 durango 4.7

lemonboy69

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2004 - 12:39:06 PM »

That Yellow SuperBee wouldn't happen to be this car would it?? ::) ;) :D

LB

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline 71'cuda340

• Mopar OR slow car!
Re: Challengers in Movies
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2004 - 12:13:32 AM »
In the movie "Tomcats" .  The main character owns a 71 Cuda but it's repo'ed by the mob. :(

Offline Jim68Cuda

• Why oncha burn sum rub op dem tars
    • Mopar Picturebook
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2004 - 09:44:38 PM »
As far as TV shows, don't forget Mannix. After the 68 Dart GTS 340 convertible, he went to 70,71 & 72 Cuda convertibles (the 72 having been a converted 71). In 73, and the final season of the show, he was driving a Challenger hardtop with a sunroof.
Other shows with E-bodies included Jane Hathaway's red Challenger vert in the last season of Beverly Hillbillies, and Chad Everett in Marcus Welby MD had a red 70 Challenger RT convertible in at least one episode (or was it some doctor on "Medical Center"). On the Doris Day show she started out with a red 69 Barracuda convertible, but by 1970 or 71, it was a Challenger convertible. The Brady Bunch had both 71 and 72 Barracuda convertibles (the 72 being a converted 71). And I remember seeing at least one episode of Mission Impossible with a 72 Challenger convertible (again a converted 71).
There was a detective type show in the 80's that I only saw a few times and can't remember the name of, but the main character's driver was a 70 or 71 Challenger.
As for movies, didn't a 71 Challenger get blown up in Terminal Velocity ? and of course the chase scene in the original Gone in Sixty Seconds with a 72 Challenger on the back of a tow truck. And in the 70's there was some low budget moonshine running movie (with Marsha from the Brady Bunch), that featured alot of well worn Mopar muscle cars including a Road Runner and a Challenger. There was a Challenger convertible in Natural Born Killers. The movie sucked and the Challenger was barely shown. 
Jim
68 Charger RT
68 Barracuda Formula S fastback
68 Barracuda convertible
68 Barracuda fastback
67 Coronet 500 convertible
67 Coronet 500 hardtop

BH23cuda

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2005 - 01:04:21 AM »
71 cuda 440-6 in "Road to Redemption"  A Billy Graham movie shown tonight. 
Christian bikers, good message and a Cuda...does it get any better?