Author Topic: Ever feel like its one thing after another ?  (Read 2503 times)

Offline Scatterbrain

• 1973 Challenger
Ever feel like its one thing after another ?
« on: January 30, 2009 - 10:57:41 AM »
In the last year, my wipers stopped working, fixed that.  Then my radiator went out, got a new one fixed that problem.  Then my fuel sender broke, fixed that, but couldn't get it to seal correctly.  Then my water pump went out, took care of that by replacing it with a new one.  Blew out one of my air shocks, fixed that by installing an add-a-leaf set.  Fixed the leak in the seal around the sending unit, then developed a leak in the fuel lines.   Replaced the fuel lines last week and now my blinkers don't blink anymore.... ARG!!!  I don't wanna fix my blinkers now, scared of what is next.   :banghead:

Anybody else get this same feeling?

Offline Oldschool

• Administrator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 9-05-06
Re: Ever feel like its one thing after another ?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009 - 10:59:52 AM »
Ah, the joys of driving 35 year old treasures......    :working:     :horse:    :cheers:   
Ken  --  In Georgia

MOPAR-------"Built To Run------Here To Stay"

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
  • My M46 Barracuda! Member Since:October 01, 2005
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009 - 11:07:49 AM »
Ah, the joys of driving 35 year old treasures......    :working:     :horse:    :cheers:   

Would have to  :iagree: with Ken on this one.  Been there and done that for sure.   :working:
Got a pretty good start on my M46 optioned Barracuda restoration but now it is on hold till I can gather more funds.  Still need a few parts for it.  SIU Graduate 75 AAS Automotive Tech, 94 BS Advanced Tech Studies, 1997 MSED Workforce Education and Development

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009 - 11:09:57 AM »
I know exactly what you mean. My car has been the same way. First I had my tranny go out, so I replaced it with a spare I had, Then I developed an oil leak and have spent a few months chasing that, then I had my progressive linkage on the carbs start to bind (turned out to be a throttle return spring so easy fix), then I had the 2nd transmission go out (my fault didn't check the condition of it before I installed it, just replaced the filter and pan gasket), so I rebuilt a 727 and installed it. Then  I developed water leak (turned out to be a header bolt so I fixed that), now I am having troubles with my new transmission (I think its in the valve body, luckily I have another so I can test that theory). Just one thing after another. And what really sucks is that I live in an apartment and when something breaks I typically have to borrow the car trailer from a friend of mine and tow the car 4 hours to my parents house to fix it. On top of that it is my only car now. Good news is I ride a bike to work since I am only 3 miles away, so having the car break hasn't been a huge inconvienence except when it rains. Then either my wife has to get up at 5:30 to take me to work or I take her truck and then take some time from work to take her to work at 8:30 and then pick her up at 5. Oh well that's life I guess.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline ViperMan

• Resident
  • 2017 Carlisle or BUST...
    • JS Custom Cars
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009 - 11:10:22 AM »

Pfffft...  the Viper's 9 years old and I'm having the same problems!  Check engine light came on week after I got it, needed diagnostics, minor repairs, then an O2 sensor was going bad, now I've got a noise in the front suspension and one in the rear body, trying to get this cruise control installed and then some guy tells me how to put ABS in...  now I wanna do THAT too...  :)

I think it's just the joys of being an automotive enthusiast.  :)

Jeff
2000 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe - 8.0L V10, 6-Speed Tremec
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - Trail Rated - 4.7L V8, Auto
2010 Dodge Challenger SE Rallye - 3.5L V6, Auto (Wife's!)

Offline hotrod98

• Maniac Musclecars
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009 - 12:12:53 PM »

I drove these cars when they were new and they were like that back then as well. These cars were total junk from day one, but for some reason we still love them. I was repairing rust on these cars when they were five years old and that was here in the dry, sunny south. Everyone tends to glorify the musclecars while forgetting how horribly they were built. My brother had a Chevy so at least we had a way to get to school on those cold mornings when the 440's refused to start. I guess we could have bought a six cylinder mopar. They were always dependable.

Do like I do, fix it and just be glad that you own a cool car. A lot of guys would kill to have cars like ours. ;D
1971 Cuda, Tor-red, Bench seat
1971 Cuda Drag Car
1973 Cuda Clone, EFI/OD Limelight
1970 Superbird (Yes, it's real) Black Ice
1971 Barracuda Sassy Grass Green (sold)
1970 Challenger RT SE 383 Plum Crazy
1969 Road Runner Hardtop
1968 Road Runner Coupe (sold)

www.maniacmusclecars.com

Offline wally426ci

• Sr. Resident
    • maryland mopars
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2009 - 12:28:10 PM »
I feel like that too. I also feel like everything I want to do to my car at this point is at least $500.  :money:
{OOI====I====IOO}
      '71 Challenger
      [O[]=====[]O]
      '68 D100

Offline R/T hedkace

• Resident
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2009 - 12:41:09 PM »
In the last year, my wipers stopped working, fixed that.  Then my radiator went out, got a new one fixed that problem.  Then my fuel sender broke, fixed that, but couldn't get it to seal correctly.  Then my water pump went out, took care of that by replacing it with a new one.  Blew out one of my air shocks, fixed that by installing an add-a-leaf set.  Fixed the leak in the seal around the sending unit, then developed a leak in the fuel lines.   Replaced the fuel lines last week and now my blinkers don't blink anymore.... ARG!!!  I don't wanna fix my blinkers now, scared of what is next.   :banghead:

Anybody else get this same feeling?
I would kill to be dealing with all those issues again  :walkaway:

The other side of the coin?...............sell it......... problem solved  :dunno: :grinno:

Don't drive one for 15 years, and let me know how "big" those "little" problems are then  :walkaway:
 We are all very lucky that we flow the blood of those in love with Mopars............"problems" and all  :ylsuper:

Jeff     
    Defending the Earth from "uptight" mods!!   an endless crusade..........

1970 Dodge Challenger R/T 440 4speed Dana
1970 Dodge Super Bee
1969 Barracuda
 Massachusetts

Offline Scatterbrain

• 1973 Challenger
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2009 - 02:58:43 PM »
After 35 years the car is still a badass.  Gotta say though, it is fun when its on the road and everytime I tackle each project it just drives a lot better than before. 

Offline quapman

• Resident
    • Auto-Grip on Facebook
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2009 - 04:55:37 PM »
I have been going through the same crap with my 99 Ram truck.

Bought it in June, put a tranny in, in July.

Radiator in July...noticed the leak in the trans shop parking lot.

Water pump last month.

Tensioner pulley last week.

It never ends!

Just be glad that most of us on this forum can fix these things ourselves and don't have to pay someone $40-$100 an hour to do it!

Steve
My name is Steve and I'm addicted to Challengers...

Offline arcticmopar

• Yukon Canada
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2009 - 04:59:58 PM »
My brother had a Chevy so at least we had a way to get to school on those cold mornings when the 440's refused to start.
 Not that I dont believe you hotrod98 but I remember just the opposite as a kid. There was an original 440RT 69 charger up here in the Yukon (rusty but never for sale then!) :stomp: The only time i ever saw it move was in the middle of winter when his chevy p/u would'nt start! :clapping:
 But ya I hear you scatterbrain I cant wait for spring to go for a drive. I can wait for what is going to fail next. :banghead:
RUNS WHITH SISSORS!  and  DIGITALY CHALLENGED!

Offline HemiOrange70

• Resident
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2009 - 05:05:42 PM »
Wait until your older, then it is your knee is out, then your back is sore, then tou know, the least of your worries is your wipers...LOL

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2009 - 10:20:28 AM »
oddly this is exactly why I drive Mopars I have rarely experienced this with Mopars however the 2 GMs I have ever bought [first & last one] were constantly causing problems , I had one where the starter would snap off approx every 14th start so once a week I was replacing the starter

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2009 - 11:52:19 AM »
You probably had the wrong starter shim   :lol:
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2009 - 01:55:44 PM »
Ahh the joys of old cars. Every spring its always a crapshoot. Whats leaking, stuck, corroded, ect. Hang in there, do the fix right and move on my friend , its all we can do.  :grinyes:
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl