Author Topic: What is it worth, hypothetical question  (Read 788 times)

Offline backtobasics

What is it worth, hypothetical question
« on: January 30, 2009 - 11:49:43 AM »
I am kind of planning my future here, I need your inputs.  I am trying to decide what direction to go with a car build.

What is it worth type question on the 2 scenerio's below:

1970 Challenger. original /6 car, no fender tag.  1975 440, stock with Mopar purple shaft cam, Edelbrock intake, headers, Magnaflow duals, engine detailed to max, engine bay detailed. 727 and 8.75 with 3.55 gears. Body will be freshly restored, minimal rust will be needed to get it straight, popular desireable color, wheels of a Torque Thrust type style. 4 wheel discs. In general, a performance, hot rod type build.

Same Challenger.  5.7 Hemi, automatic, 8.75 with 3.55.  Perhaps sway bars front and rear, more of a pro touring build.

The engine part is the hang up.  I already have the 440 / 727.  I have a good friend, that is in the resto business that is suggesting the new Hemi swap, and willing to go in on the project with me, and cover the costs of the Hemi swap parts.  What is the market, crappy though it may be, for a non original restored big block 70 Challenger, and same for a restored, but updated car with the Hemi swap.   

I like old school, especially since I have the drive train, but I think the Hemi swap would bring more money, and let someone have a Challenger that runs and drives like a new car....the ultimate daily driver....

I can provide indepth details into each build, but this is more a overall principal idea....Hot Rod, big block, with 3 speed auto and a carb, versus Hemi, overdrive, and Fuel injection
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009 - 11:53:43 AM by backtobasics »

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
Re: What is it worth, hypothetical question
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009 - 11:59:02 AM »
I think that the money is not worth the swap to the new hemi. You would be better off not having someone go in with you on the project imo. I say stick with the 440, if you can swing slap a 6 pack on it as that will help with the resale of the car. As it is unless you are building the car yourself I don't see you coming out a head unless the restoration shop gives you a killer deal and then i would be suspect of the quality of the build.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline backtobasics

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009 - 01:27:05 PM »
The arrangement would be my time and labor (my car too) and he would contribute the parts for Hemi swap.   He has a shop that does this type of work, but I want to be the one to do the labor, I am pretty finicky on details.  He is a very long time friend (dad figure) so I am not worried about being scammed, etc.

I have owned the car for 15 years.  I have next to nothing in it right now.

I guess I am wondering which will sell for more and better, versus how much I have in it.   

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009 - 01:35:40 PM »
I think the 440 is a better way to go. Even though the 5.7 will be more "driver friendly" I think it will limit your market compared to the 440.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline Rare_T_A

• Resident
    • Freiss Family Mopar Site
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009 - 01:41:31 PM »
 :iagree:  TOTALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
'09 Challenger R/T  5.7 HEMI Auto
'70Challenger T/A 340 727

Fargo, N. Dak.
My web Site:  http://freiss.co.nr

My Flikr Page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/102813164@N04/

I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left!

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009 - 01:52:48 PM »
I don`t get it... do you want to build a car for what it brings when sold?  I don`t think you will get payed very well per hour in todays market.
If I read it wrong I`d advise you to build a car you like to own and drive...  :2cents:
*** Bart ***

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
  • My M46 Barracuda! Member Since:October 01, 2005
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2009 - 02:04:49 PM »
I don`t get it... do you want to build a car for what it brings when sold?  I don`t think you will get payed very well per hour in todays market.
If I read it wrong I`d advise you to build a car you like to own and drive...  :2cents:

:iagree:  Build it to own it not to sell it..
Got a pretty good start on my M46 optioned Barracuda restoration but now it is on hold till I can gather more funds.  Still need a few parts for it.  SIU Graduate 75 AAS Automotive Tech, 94 BS Advanced Tech Studies, 1997 MSED Workforce Education and Development

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2009 - 02:07:21 PM »
They almost always sell for less than you have invested.

Best of luck!

Offline backtobasics

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2009 - 03:11:16 PM »
Thanks for the input guys.

This car is an investment.   I have a total of 2,500.00 in it right now.  The body work needed is very minimal.  It will not need much to be a solid complete car. 

I want out from under the debt, for sanity in the future.  The long term keeper is a 1976 Dart Lite, twin to what I grew up in.