Author Topic: Trunk hinges  (Read 3695 times)

Offline Cuda340-73

Trunk hinges
« on: May 30, 2004 - 09:15:49 PM »
I can't get my trunk lid to line up correctly, and I'm guessing it's because I'm missing a hinge spring. The trunk hangs really low on the left side. Only the right hand hinge has a spring on it -- the left just kind of hangs there, and when the trunk is off the RH stays up, and the LH hinge falls loose.

Is there supposed to be a spring on the LH side? Anyone have a pic of what it's supposed to look like?

Thanks,
Mike

Offline cuda

• 1970 340 Cuda, pistol grip 4 speed,3:91 sure grip
Re:Trunk hinges
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2004 - 10:40:33 PM »
This is the best pic i have of the trunk hinges, but i can get a better one for u if noone else has one.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline 71 DEPUTY

• IF YOU CAN'T DODGE IT--RAM IT!
    • Cardomain
Re:Trunk hinges
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2004 - 08:13:57 AM »
was there a sring setup for that side???  is there adjustment holes for that side????

some didn't have a second torsion bar!

Mine didn't!

Offline b5blueaar

• Mad Max Cuda
Re: Trunk hinges
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2004 - 12:56:46 AM »
My 70 AAR had two springs.
My 74 has one spring attached to right side hinge only, left hinge falls freely.
My 71 has one spring atatched to right side hinge only, left hinge falls freely.
With only one spring, the right side (pass side) tends to want to twist up and be above the left side when closed.
However, if you adjust your truck latch to pull the lid down onto the trunk rubber seal, that should level the lid out when fully closed.

You can also move the truck lid on the hinges enough to level it out. Loosen both bolts on one side and move the lid up or down on the hinge, it will affect how the lid sets vertically. If you make the rear bolt higher than the front, it tilts the lid up in back. Do this on the side that is sagging and it will raise the rear of the lid on that side only and level out the lid. Then you will not be dependent on the latch pulling the lid down against the seal to level it, it will be level as it closes.
Good luck.

Offline Cuda340-73

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2004 - 10:07:25 PM »
Thanks b5, I'll try out your suggestions.

Offline 71 DEPUTY

• Cardomain
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2004 - 05:40:05 PM »
BEEN THERE AND DONE THAT- TRUNK LID still would sit up 3/4" on one side.

finally got *&*#@$ off at it and ripped out the old bar and put in two hatch back lift units in and now it sits ok!!

here is a few pics of the lifts.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Cuda340-73

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2004 - 09:46:25 PM »
Thanks for the pics 71Deputy. Judging from the way mine sits, I'll probably end up doing something similar.

Offline Grancoupe

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2004 - 02:06:02 AM »
Do you have rebound bumpers under both corners of the lid?

Offline Cuda340-73

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2004 - 08:42:37 AM »
Do you have rebound bumpers under both corners of the lid?

Actually, I don't -- they were long gone by the time I bought the car. Can those be used to adjust the height?

Offline 71 DEPUTY

• Cardomain
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2004 - 09:21:28 PM »
Thanks for the pics 71Deputy. Judging from the way mine sits, I'll probably end up doing something similar.

I just measured from the rear of the steel frame of the seat to the bottom of the hinge when it is open.

then go to the local scrap yard and measure away- make sure you get the scoket part(ball) and the hinge off the doner car.

Tried to make a new one work- but it was sooooo hard due to being new that the higes where bending when I was trying to close the lid. so a partly worn out one works well!

Offline Grancoupe

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2004 - 01:32:56 PM »
Rebound bumpers can help the lid from going too far down. I would check by trying to lay a couple of spacers made out of anything thats about 3/8 in thick and about 1 in x 1 in in size. Lay then on those circular areas at the outer edges of the trunk jamb. Then GENTLY close the lid. See if the lid starts to align up. Let me know

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2004 - 02:45:16 PM »
The bumpers are important to have,without them and the trunk seal in place you`ll never get the trunk lid to align properly when closed
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline Cuda340-73

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2004 - 06:37:53 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. I'll work on it and let you know how it turns out.

Offline Cuda340-73

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2004 - 10:22:05 PM »
Today I tried to simulate the rubber bumpers by cutting a corner off of a 3M sanding pad and laying it on the bumper pad. When the trunk was closed, the side that was low (the side without the hinge) was raised about 1/2", and the side that was high was lowered by about the same amount. Looked pretty good. So it looks like my next step is to get the actual bumpers and a new weatherstrip and see if that does the trick.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2004 - 10:30:43 PM »
Sounds like that's where I would start!!  Let us know how it turns out!!  ;D