Author Topic: camshaft degreeing  (Read 710 times)

Offline willard

• 1970 Challenger R/T
camshaft degreeing
« on: January 31, 2009 - 04:43:18 PM »
I'm waiting for my new camshaft to come and went through this manual on cam degreeing to gain some knowledge  :grinyes: :
http://www.lunatipower.com/Tech/Cams/HowToDegreeACam.aspx

Is degreeing a cam always necessary? Assuming I assembly the cam+roller chain properly (dots lined 6 and 12 oclock) it should function as designed? The procedure described at lunati site seems to be a verification rather than an adjustment.

Am I right?
1970 383 R/T SE

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
Re: camshaft degreeing
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009 - 10:39:07 PM »
Big lift cams and wide durations with little to no valve reliefs , it is just about a must.  Here's my take.  If you have a QUALITY name brand chain like cloyes true roller, and a known cam maker like com,or lunati it pretty much stays within 1 degree. But MP cams and chains are just about always off.  Piston to valve is critical too.   You will feel better if you degree it, and it doesnt take but a few minutes when you have all the stuff

Offline Changin Gears

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009 - 11:40:20 PM »
3 out of every 4 cams I check need to be moved.  Could be the cam, the sprockets or the crank.

The goal never changes - Stop the 60' timer with your back tires

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009 - 01:27:48 AM »
Yup, its worth it if only to know where your at with everything. I always have to refresh myself when I go to degree a cam. The tools you need are few and relatively inexpensive and the peace of mind is well worth it. Don't forget the loktite on the cam bolt though. That one 600 dollar misake sold me on 3 bolt cams forever lol.
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2009 - 02:51:01 AM »
Dial it in , I have seen cams off by as much as 12* , ever wonder why some engine make power while a similar build doesn`t , it comes down to attention to detail , I refuse to install a cam without degreeing it

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline willard

• 1970 Challenger R/T
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2009 - 05:16:03 AM »
Thanks guys!
Got this one: http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=CCA%2D2109&autoview=sku plus voodoo cam.
Degreeing is not that hard job.
Good point on that loctite on the thread  :2thumbs:
1970 383 R/T SE

Offline moper

• Resident
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2009 - 10:10:20 AM »
Assuming I assembly the cam+roller chain properly (dots lined 6 and 12 oclock) it should function as designed? The procedure described at lunati site seems to be a verification rather than an adjustment. Am I right?

As was said, and you decided, degreeing is the best way to do things. There is always a tolerance for parts. Blocks, cams, gears, chains, machining, etc. The "better" parts and machining are not cheapest. ever. So the verification of the "right way" to install a part is a must do for any good builder. Degreeing finds the stacking up bad tolerances and allows the builder to correct them, so the parts so carefully chosen really work as intended. Like Neil said, there are reason why some engines really run hard, and some with mega hyped parts simply dont. That verification step, in every aspect of a build, is why.