Author Topic: Feeling overwhelmed...  (Read 2359 times)

Offline lemming303

• San Antonio, TX
Feeling overwhelmed...
« on: January 31, 2009 - 07:02:23 PM »
I bought a 73 challenger rallye last year. I have never done much car work before. The car was in pieces when I bought it, ready to be blasted. I have my first kid on the way in April. I don't have any money right now to do anything on the car. I'm starting to think I'm in over my head. I need some support yall. I have no intention of getting rid of it. I just feel like its going nowhere.
Kevin

73 Challenger Rallye - first project

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
  • Hemi-fied Mopar in Australia
Re: Feeling overwhelmed...
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009 - 07:07:02 PM »
Times like this hits us all.............. I would cover it over and concentrate on the Family as you have a little one on its way, you can still post and be part of the crowd without the need to push to have your car done.  The biggest hurdle has been over come by you actually owning and having the car at home.  That is an achievment on its own. :2thumbs:

Get back to it when time permits and family are sitting comfortable in your own eyes, we all will be here when you need a chat and stay happy as life goes on and everything works out for the better in due time buddy. :bigsmile:
1970 Barracuda   (O^--^===|===^--^O)
1971 Barracuda   (O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)
1970 Challenger  (O O [======R/T=] O O)
1971 Challenger  (O O ===== ===== O O)
I pay homage to the best Mopars ever built.

Offline VTMopar

• '70 Challenger Convertible, '74 Challenger Rallye,
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009 - 07:19:58 PM »
Hemiken said it very well.    I know when my first child came (nearly 30 years ago) I felt a sense of uncertainty that I had never had before...... Hang in there and focus on your family.   The good thing about our cars -- is they are made out of metal and as much feeling as we may have for them -- we can ignore them without repercussions.....   

VT Mopar
VT MOPAR

Offline moparclown

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009 - 07:33:27 PM »
I agree 100% with what you guys said.I put my fastback off to the side for 6 years,still have it today,and now my kids love to ride around in it.

Offline 422STROKER

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 6/3/06
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009 - 08:06:11 PM »
Just take a break.  Not too long though.  Do as much as you can without spending lots.  Cleaning and detailing used parts makes reassembly much more enjoyable.  Maybe try and buy a small part per month if you see a sweet deal on something.  Definitely stay involved here, it will serve to motivate you. 

Enjoy the little one for sure, family first!

Tom :2thumbs:

Tom
12.77 @ 108.87 15" Street Drag radial tires 3.23 gear

Offline wally426ci

• Sr. Resident
    • maryland mopars
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2009 - 08:29:31 PM »
 :iagree: i covered mine for 6months once b/c i got burned out. Its not costing you to keep it and you'll kick yourself for selling. It will get there in time.  :wave:
{OOI====I====IOO}
      '71 Challenger
      [O[]=====[]O]
      '68 D100

Offline somedaysoon

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2009 - 08:53:10 PM »
 I bought my car in 1977, parked it in 78 got married had kids and watched the car sit . Started on it in 95 and finally got it on the road in 08. As discouraging as it was at times it was worth all the anxiety. I love this car. Pete

wagesofsin

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2009 - 09:32:51 PM »
i agree wholeheartedly!! if you own it, it aint costing you a cent to keep it. unless there is storage issues.
if not, put a nice cover over it, and do what you need to do. it will be there when you return. and wont be any worse for the wear than when you last saw it. we all have changing moments in our lives, and kids/family come first.
but when your ready to come back out, an e-body is what youll appreciate seein.
and boy howdy, what a reunion it will be.

do whats right bro, and the car will love you even more for it.

Offline quapman

• Resident
    • Auto-Grip on Facebook
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2009 - 10:37:23 PM »
Oh yes, we've all been there!

Small removal/cleaning/replacement projects are usually cheap/free such as maybe the dash cluster. You could remove it, bag/tag all the screws, clean, polish the clear lens, replace. This is the sort of thing I do in the winter when it's too cold out to work on the big stuff. If nothing else, you'll get more familiar with how it all works and goes together.

Just a thought.............

Steve
My name is Steve and I'm addicted to Challengers...

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2009 - 10:42:35 PM »
Put it on the back burner until you are ready to dive back into it. If its putting it back together that has you scared you shouldn't be. The guys here will guide you every step of the way just ask the questions and I guarantee someone here knows the answer. Good luck and congrats on the bambino! Kids are cool.
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline lemming303

• San Antonio, TX
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2009 - 04:04:46 PM »
Thanks yall. Another problem is I bought this thing on a whim. I saw it for sale and jumped on it. I had a very small set of tools, no good storage space in the garage, and like I said no knowledge of what the heck I was doing. I have been doing a lot research, typing mechanical questions on Google (How does an automatic transmission work, etc) and getting a better tool collection. I now have a huge shelf in the garage for storing parts, spray cans, and a ton of other junk. I also have a nice new Craftsman toolchest that I got for my birthday and I've slowly got more of the tools I need. I'm working on learning how to weld, which is way easier than I thought.

Its just that the car is literally in pieces and it seems like it will never get back together. I know it will be worth it to be able to watch my son drive it for the first time. Thanks for the support yall. Sometimes I need a little reassurance.
Kevin

73 Challenger Rallye - first project

Offline boydsdodge

• Top end's unlimited....Aaaauuuuugghhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!
    • Boydsdodge
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2009 - 08:11:44 PM »
I have two girls six and eight, I bought my Challenger the year my eight year old was born.
 I just started the rebuild last year,I put the car away for eight years. While I was sitting on it i did all my little parts hunting, shopping and planned out the build a few times.
It has worked out great doing it the way I have, I got some great deals by buying when I found it and not when I needed it.
Family is healthy and happy and they now encourage my building of the Challenger. As for storage, try asking neighbors or older folks that don't drive or have big garages.
Try the ones that have garages behind there house and not out front (outa sight outa mind kinda thing)
Offer to do some yard work or other barder exchange.
Just my experience.
Jackson from Toronto.

Offline Tom_440

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2009 - 02:23:50 PM »
If you don't already have one, get a Factory Service Manual to help with the "what goes where" part of the puzzle.

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2009 - 03:35:58 PM »
Take care of your family first. Buy tools like what your have been doing. If you have room, save for a 60-80 gal. air compressor. Maybe consider finding a used one like on Craigslist if you have to.  This will become your most important asset on the restoration process down the road. Make sure you get one that keeps up with tools that use a lot like a sand blaster or a DA. Then keep coming here and learn more. You'll get there it takes time. Most all get buried on projects at some point or another financially. Heck I'm up to my eyeballs right now in what I have to spend. But I will get there.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline IMNCARN82

• Resident
  • LeDZeP
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2009 - 03:36:43 PM »
You n' me both!      :drunk:   Where you at?    Lot's of help here.    :swaying:
'73 340 5 speed,RMS,BAER,... "Supercuda" (O[   ]||||[   ]O)  
'69 Dodge Charger 383,Auto                  (OiiiiiiiiiiIiiiiiiiiiiO)
13' Challenger R/T BlacktoP  6spd. (OO________OO)
71' Demon
75' Duster
87' Conquest TSI
56' Plaza
Boulder CO
Robert    "cuda bob"