Author Topic: Structural considerations, torque areas, supports...  (Read 923 times)

Offline lemming303

• San Antonio, TX
Structural considerations, torque areas, supports...
« on: February 01, 2009 - 04:15:16 PM »
I'm really new to the car thing, although I am getting more informed as time goes by. My question is this. Ok, maybe actually a few.

I am replacing the floor pan on my car. I know this was already posted but I have more stuff I need to put on here besides that. When do you put in a trans shield? Also, what do I need to look for as far as that goes? I plan on racing this car quite a bit, and it's not gonna be a daily driver. I will be driving it around town some though, and maybe to work a couple days a month. Like I said though I do plan on racing quite a bit. I am going to build a very agressive 416. 727 trans. I want to go ahead and add the shield(s?) when I have the pan out since that will probably be the easiest time.

Also, I've read about torque-boxes, subframe connectors and what-not. I'm kind of confused on what they are. I saw some pics of torque boxes so I think I get those. Not so sure about subframe connectors though.

What other considerations do I need to think about as far as structural integrity goes? What about traction bars? Thanks yall.
Kevin

73 Challenger Rallye - first project

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: Structural considerations, torque areas, supports...
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009 - 11:23:48 PM »
what bracing is needed will depend on the type of racing you intend to do
Torque boxes & subframes work no matter what , the subframes tie the front & rear frame sections together under the front seats
Drag racing , road racing , open road racing , autocross , ralley , drifting  all have different rules & requirements as far as roll bars or cages , tube thickness & placement of these tubes , cornering & braking  put much different stresses on the car than drag racing & drag racing limits cornering ability

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline lemming303

• San Antonio, TX
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009 - 09:37:39 PM »
I guess I should have put what type of racing. I didn't know anyone road raced with these cars anymore. I will be drag racing. I know I need to get the NHRA rulebook, but right now I can't afford it so I was asking on here.

The subframes makes sense now that you explained where they go.
Kevin

Offline gkring

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009 - 10:59:19 PM »
Can't afford the rulebook? That's pretty rough!!
Trans shield can be a kevlar blanket or an actual metal surround shield bolted to the trans. the metal ones require more room, so check clearances since you are doing the the floor pans anyway. How fast are you planning on going? Take a few trips to the local tracks and see what you are in for. Looking at the various cars will give you better ideas of what you need and what you want to do.
Greg
1970 Challenger convertible-in process
1970 Barracuda driver

Offline lemming303

• San Antonio, TX
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009 - 01:24:22 PM »
I haven't been to the quarter mile track for anything except big events, and they didn't have any cars like what I'm building. I have been to the 1/8th mile track and saw some cars like mine. I don't plan on going too fast, prolly not any faster than 10 seconds, I don't know if I can afford all the stuff to run that fast.
Kevin

Offline ChallengerGary

• Resident
    • Challenger Gary
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009 - 05:58:22 PM »
I haven't been to the quarter mile track for anything except big events, and they didn't have any cars like what I'm building. I have been to the 1/8th mile track and saw some cars like mine. I don't plan on going too fast, prolly not any faster than 10 seconds, I don't know if I can afford all the stuff to run that fast.

Speed cost money and 10 second quarter mile times cost big money.  How much are you budgeting for your build?  Have you looked into the engine build you would like to do and how much that will cost?  What work are you willing/able to perform yourself?  If you plan on being in the 10's, don't skimp on safety or durability of parts.  cheap parts + high rev's = scary failures
2006 Dodge Ram 1500 Mega Cab 5.7 Hemi

1972 Dodge Demon - "new" project

AND TOO MANY OTHER MOPARS THROUGH MY HANDS TO COUNT

Offline lemming303

• San Antonio, TX
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2009 - 12:14:33 AM »
I plan keeping it as safe as possible. I believe I can afford a 10 second car, but not much faster. And I know it's gonna take a while to get my car that way as well.

I'm looking at ported BP commando heads, victor intake, Engle solid cam, 416 stroker, fully balance, 10.5 to 11 to 1 comp, somewhere around that. I plan to get as much power as I can without getting too crazy, no turbo or anything like that. I'm gonna run a fiberglass T/A style hood, tall gears, and street drag radials. That's what I'm looking at now, although it will be a while until I get that stuff. I'm just slowly coming up with how my car is going to be done so if I come across anything I can take advantage.
Kevin