Author Topic: 2003 sebring problem. Any help appreciated!  (Read 1027 times)

Offline ItsJustMe

2003 sebring problem. Any help appreciated!
« on: February 01, 2009 - 06:08:06 PM »
Ok, so my wifes 2003 sebring wont rev over 2500 rpm's in any gear and the gear selector indicates it's in all of the gears at once (all squares around PRNDL are all lit up).  I'm assuming its a module that tells the computer what gear the car is in.  The problem is that I don't know where this is supposed to be?  I looked on the transmission and there are not any electrical plugs connected to the shift linkage.  Where would this be?  It has a 2.4 I believe and auto tranny (obviously).  Thanks in advance!

Offline quagmire

• Traction Impaired......
Re: 2003 sebring problem. Any help appreciated!
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009 - 06:21:42 PM »
You'll need to get the code(s) pulled first before you do anything else.  It could be a TCM, PRNDL switch, wiring, shifter module problem or any number of other things.  Without the code or datastream values you won't have much to go off of.

Offline ItsJustMe

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009 - 06:53:06 PM »
Thanks for the response.  Are any of the above mentioned possibilities a common problem by chance?  The computer isn't showing any codes and I was hoping someone would say, "Yes, that's definately the....".  No such luck I guess.LOL  Again, thanks for your input! :cheers:

Offline quagmire

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009 - 06:59:05 PM »
No, without any further testing I couldnt 100% say any one thin is wrong.  I've seen way too many techs or DIYers get burned doing that.  You may want to start with checking all fuses, and are any lights on?  What kind of scan tool are you using?  Some very basic ones may not be able to pull trans or manufacturer specific DTC's.

Offline Stacked440

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2009 - 11:28:08 PM »
If you know anyone at the local chrysler dealer have them hook it up to their DRB, otherwise quirky problems like that you'll never track down.
-Kyle-
1971 Challenger R/T clone 440/5-spd
1973 Duster - 5.7L Hemi swap project

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2009 - 11:55:52 PM »
Another thing you could check would be if the grounds are good, clean, tight and corrosion free. As others mentioned, there isn't much else you can do without checking for codes and seeing what the computer is trying to do. Have you had any repairs done to the vehicle recently? I checked and there are no TSB's for your symptom. Oh yeah, is this a sebring convertible, coupe or sedan?

Let us know what you find out.
70 Cuda, 7.0L Gen-III Hemi, Viper T56 w/9310 gearset, 3.91's, Megasquirt MS3x v3.57, Innovate wideband, Firm Feel upper arms, torsion bars, springs and strut rods, QA1 DA shocks. I did everything on this car except the fancy paint stuff and I drive it...and I can't seem to stop messing with it....

Offline ItsJustMe

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009 - 08:16:40 AM »
Thanks for the tips guys.  I could take my chances and start replacing a few things BUT I hate throwing parts at a car without knowing if it will fix it.  I'm going to drop it off at the dealer this morning and see what they have to say.  I'll let you guy know what the outcome was.  Thanks again for all the quick tips/replys!

Offline ItsJustMe

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2009 - 11:03:17 PM »
Of all things, they replaced the cam sensor and it worked!  Crazy, I would never have thought that but I guess it was sending funny signals to the computer and it was affecting the trans too.  Odd I know, but it's fixed.  Thanks again for your help!

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2009 - 11:44:57 PM »
3rd cam sensor I have heard of in 10 days that neede replacement

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline quagmire

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2009 - 11:21:37 PM »
The cam sensors on those engines drop out all of the time, worse than the input and output speed sensors on the older Chrysler auto trans axles.