Author Topic: Official super bowl thread  (Read 4589 times)

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
Re: Official super bowl thread
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2009 - 09:33:45 PM »
Cause the fix was in.  Steelers + Ref's = Super Bowl win.

Horrible game.  Blown calls galore; all in the Steelers favor.  Minus out all the blown calls and none calls and the Steeler's get crushed.

And I'm not a fan of either team.

Are you refering to the TD that wasn't a TD and the fumble that was a forward pass? The ball has to be in the QB's hand as it moves forward for it to be a pass. If he's in the vertical position heading to the ground standing in the pocket and the ball travels 3 yards it's either a fumble or intentional grounding, not an incomplete pass. Wrap this excuse up and bring it out the next time they win it because I've heard the same thing all 6 times they've won. You won't have to wait long. All I head the Cards say (the actual players that played in the game and their Coach) was that they played as hard as they could but Pitt made the big plays they had to make to win the game. The Cards didn't lose it, Pitt won it. I'll take their word for it.  ;D
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2009 - 09:44:39 PM »
Well we both missed that then.  But we both caught what Harrison did... Proof to the point of non-calls.

The powers-to-be took what would have been an amazing run by an improbable team and handed the Super Bowl over to a larger-media team.

Arizona fans must be pulling their hair out.

It always sucks worse the next morning when you wake up and realise your team didn't make the play they had to make to win. Whatever excuse you need to invent to feel better is OK....  :crying: :poopoke:
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

Offline JoltinJoe

• BALZ TO THE WALZ MAN
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2009 - 10:02:24 PM »
Are you refering to the TD that wasn't a TD and the fumble that was a forward pass? The ball has to be in the QB's hand as it moves forward for it to be a pass. If he's in the vertical position heading to the ground standing in the pocket and the ball travels 3 yards it's either a fumble or intentional grounding, not an incomplete pass. Wrap this excuse up and bring it out the next time they win it because I've heard the same thing all 6 times they've won. You won't have to wait long. All I head the Cards say (the actual players that played in the game and their Coach) was that they played as hard as they could but Pitt made the big plays they had to make to win the game. The Cards didn't lose it, Pitt won it. I'll take their word for it.  ;D

Sorry, by blown calls I am referring to the calling of phantom penalties.  Not the items that you are talking about.  I should have been more clear... The phantom penalties and non-called penalties is how they control a game.

But regarding what is said by the players/coaches, you know they can't say what's really on there minds.  You don't even get that on the college level.
HIS: '68 GMC 3/4 ton pick-up truck, '73 Barracuda, '87 Firebird, '01 Jeep Cherokee and finally a '70 Barracuda Convertible!
HERS: 1980 Toyota Starlet, 1995 SAAB 9-5 and then '01 SAAB 9-3 and currently '08 Saab 9-3 convertible!
NEXT IS MINE: purple 2010 Dodge Challenger!!!

Offline JoltinJoe

• BALZ TO THE WALZ MAN
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2009 - 10:03:55 PM »
It always sucks worse the next morning when you wake up and realise your team didn't make the play they had to make to win. Whatever excuse you need to invent to feel better is OK....  :crying: :poopoke:

??? As I said before Sonny, I am not a fan of either team...
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009 - 07:18:00 PM by joltinjoe »
HIS: '68 GMC 3/4 ton pick-up truck, '73 Barracuda, '87 Firebird, '01 Jeep Cherokee and finally a '70 Barracuda Convertible!
HERS: 1980 Toyota Starlet, 1995 SAAB 9-5 and then '01 SAAB 9-3 and currently '08 Saab 9-3 convertible!

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2009 - 10:23:19 PM »
That was the second most viewers watched Super Bowl. Last year was the highest. 97.5M vs. 95M
But get this... the highest viewer rating ever was the last episode of M.A.S.H. 100 million.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

sleepychallenger

« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2009 - 10:27:09 PM »
That was the second most viewers watched Super Bowl. Last year was the highest. 97.5M vs. 95M
But get this... the highest viewer rating ever was the last episode of M.A.S.H. 100 million.
Thats because MASH rocks. i have all the seasons on DVD :)

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2009 - 10:38:26 PM »
You can cut up any NFL game film and find 50 blown calls on each team. Some are just more painful then others, like fumbles that aren't fumbles and TD's that are overturned. Those are the calls that can actually alter the outcome of games. Fortunately the huge plays the refs blew on the Steelers didn't cost them the game. The game I saw Sunday was a team (Arizona) that did nothing for most of the game to make me believe they were going to win. They played good for about 10 minutes in the 4th quarter. They really didn't deserve it but they had a lead with less than 3 minutes left after being outplayed for 3 quarters. It was 20-7 entering the 4th quarter. They simply couldn't stop Pitt when they had to on the last drive when they had all the momentum and Pitt had to go 88 yards after the holding penalty. They had their chances but didn't take advantage. That's what always seperates great teams from good teams. It's not the plays that were made, it's always the play they didn't make.

Offline NoMope Greg

• Resident
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2009 - 10:41:17 PM »
Well, lets face it - neither of these are great teams.  This wasn't even the best Steelers team.  The '85 Bears would have eaten the Steelers for lunch and had the Cards for dessert.

In the end, it was a pretty thrilling game.  :2thumbs:
Greg
2003 Ford Escape XLS
Currently Mopar-less :(

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2009 - 01:33:04 AM »
I think athletes get bigger and better each year and comparing teams from different eras is stupid. The two best teams this year played in the SB and they each won 3 playoff games to prove it. I think they both played great and they both exceeded all expectations anyone had for them when the year started. I see no reason to put either team down for any reason. I think most of the Billion people that watched it would agree. Maybe next year we'll see a better game, but I doubt it.

NFL teams are judged by what they do over a period of time, not just by one good year, and by the quality of the opponents they beat. Does anybody remember Dieter Brock or Tony Eason? Those are the great QB's the 1985 Bears team had to face. Brock came from the CFL and only played that one year for LA and retired. Eason was the Pat's starting QB in the Bears-Pat's SB game that year. He had 11 TD's and 17 INT's during the year and a 67.5 QB rating. By comparison, Warner had 30 TD's and 14 INT's in the regular season with a 96.9 QB rating and another 1147 yards in three playoff games with 11 TD's and 3 INT's and a 112.2 QB rating. He also wears a SB ring and this was his third time in the big game. That's a BIG difference. And as everybody talked about all week, the Card's coach came from Pitt and knew everything they were going to do. Another big advantage for Arizona. And the last SB they won they had to win 3 road games and beat Payton Manning in a Dome and go to the thin air in Denver back-to-back. They've earned everything they have won the hard way. There were no easy games and no patsy teams along the way.  :grinno:   

Offline whitesatinmopar

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 3/30/02
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2009 - 08:58:41 AM »
How bout that one play when the Steelers player was beating on the guys back while he was on the ground.  :horse:

Harrison WAS penalized 15 yards for that stupid move, he was lucky he wasn't ejected for that. Overall it was a GREAT game, both teams showed respect for each other and there was no cry babies and excuse makers "on the field", but they WILL show up in the overall NFL fan base, happens every year no matter who plays or who looses.

And as far as that last play by Warner, ya got to be kidding if you seriously think it should have been ruled a pass, for one thing the trojectory of the "forward" movement of the ball was lower than his arm/hand, his arm above his elbow is what even made it go forward, meaning it came out when he lost control of it (after being hit) when he was taking his arm backward to throw.............close, but a fumble al day long.
1969 Polara 500 vert.
1970 Charger 500
1971 Dart Swinger
1972 R/R 440+6 (wanabe)
1973 Challenger

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2009 - 03:33:58 PM »
Well the NFL is what it is. If any team doesn't like the officiating system that the NFL has they can withdraw from the league and find another to play in. All complaining ever gets you is a fine. Have a 14-20 point lead and it's a mute point and your fate doesn't lie with human error with a Zebra that misses one play. Likewise with the Cards. If they just would have put the points up they did in the rest of the playoffs they would have won. 30>33>32>23. Analyse it all you want but that was the game right there. If Arizona scores 30 like they did in the other 3 games they win. Gotta play good for more than for 10 minutes in the 4th quarter to win a SB game. I expected Pitt to put up 30+ after they put up 23 against the #2 Defense in the league in the Ravens game and 35 vs. SD. They left some points on the field when they settled for FG's when they should have had TD's but they didn't need them in the end. The key was they didn't draw a total zero for 2 quarters like their opponent did. It's not that hard to figure out. If you need 21 points in the 4th quarter against the best D in the league to win you're probably gonna come up short, and they did.

Offline JoltinJoe

• BALZ TO THE WALZ MAN
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2009 - 03:52:24 PM »
Well the NFL is what it is. If any team doesn't like the officiating system that the NFL has they can withdraw from the league and find another to play in. All complaining ever gets you is a fine. Have a 14-20 point lead and it's a mute point and your fate doesn't lie with human error with a Zebra that misses one play. Likewise with the Cards. If they just would have put the points up they did in the rest of the playoffs they would have won. 30>33>32>23. Analyse it all you want but that was the game right there. If Arizona scores 30 like they did in the other 3 games they win. Gotta play good for more than for 10 minutes in the 4th quarter to win a SB game. I expected Pitt to put up 30+ after they put up 23 against the #2 Defense in the league in the Ravens game and 35 vs. SD. They left some points on the field when they settled for FG's when they should have had TD's but they didn't need them in the end. The key was they didn't draw a total zero for 2 quarters like their opponent did. It's not that hard to figure out. If you need 21 points in the 4th quarter against the best D in the league to win you're probably gonna come up short, and they did.
You might want to stick to automobiles Chally  ;)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009 - 07:16:37 PM by joltinjoe »

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2009 - 04:38:40 PM »
Been watchin Football for almost 40 years and I've always been a loyal Pitt fan. Franco Harris went to HS in the next town over from where I grew up in Mt Holly. Football is not a complex game. You run, throw, block and tackle (like Arizona failed to do on the game turning 100 yard INT return when 8 guys whiffed) and try to get 1 more point than your opponent at the end of the game. Sometimes Pitt wins and sometimes they get beat but in every case I can ever remember they got exactly what they deserved in the end, win or lose, just like Arizona did Sunday and like every NFL team gets every week they play.  :smokin:

Offline JoltinJoe

• BALZ TO THE WALZ MAN
« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2009 - 07:14:17 PM »
Been watchin Football for almost 40 years and I've always been a loyal Pitt fan. Franco Harris went to HS in the next town over from where I grew up in Mt Holly. Football is not a complex game. You run, throw, block and tackle (like Arizona failed to do on the game turning 100 yard INT return when 8 guys whiffed) and try to get 1 more point than your opponent at the end of the game. Sometimes Pitt wins and sometimes they get beat but in every case I can ever remember they got exactly what they deserved in the end, win or lose, just like Arizona did Sunday and like every NFL team gets every week they play.  :smokin:
Is this the "baffle them with bullsh*t" part?  :blah:

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2009 - 07:51:10 PM »
Do you SERIOUSLY think games are fixed??  If so, why not have the cinderella Card's be the the winner? It would make for a great story as it's their first against a team that had already won 5 Super Bowls.

Did you bump your head recently??   :screwy:

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.