Author Topic: 9 1/4 rear questions?  (Read 717 times)

Offline 72bluNblu

9 1/4 rear questions?
« on: February 02, 2009 - 01:46:32 AM »
There's a 9 1/4 rear end for sale near me out of a Chrysler Imperial with disk brakes. I was wondering how the 9 1/4 compares to the 8 3/4, or if the brakes could be swapped easily? Anybody have any info?

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: 9 1/4 rear questions?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009 - 03:42:49 AM »
the Imperial 9 1/4" diff is basically not as good as the 8 3/4" & is too wide for the Chall
 the disc brake system will swap & work but the distance between the axle flange & the brake mount flange si different between the disc & the drum system , the disc can be clearanced to fit & work on the 8 3/4 " diff or you could order axles with the axle flange closer to the housing flange to get the system to fit properly

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline 72bluNblu

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009 - 04:21:26 AM »
Interesting. I kinda figured the 9 1/4 wasn't as nice as the 8 3/4, hard to get around how nice it is to just be able to drop the 3rd member out. Clearanced how? Would you be able to make a spacer, or are the 8 3/4 axles longer in relation to the flange? I suppose I should ask too, are these discs worthwhile to begin with? and would I need to change the axle bearings like all the aftermarket kits? Or would I be better off going with a scarebird kit?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009 - 04:28:33 AM by 72bluNblu »

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009 - 11:47:04 AM »
I had to notch the bracket to allow the caliper to slide over enough with new pads so it didn`t bind , no big deal to do it & not unsafe
 if you can get the brake system cheap go for it , i has a park brake etc as well , if the rotors are too worn or damaged pass on it as there are no parts for this set up

Offline 72bluNblu

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009 - 04:29:04 PM »
That was my next question! If I can't get parts I'll skip it, doesn't look like the rotors are in the best shape, even if I could use them I'd probably be out of luck next time I have to turn them, and since my car is a driver it might not be all that long. Plus I'd need a new master cylinder straight off the bat, if I couldn't get that I'd be stuck.

I'll just stick with the 11" finned drum set up I bought over on a-bodies... :biggrin:

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009 - 02:14:11 AM »
or use the scarebird system , one member had a set of the adapter brackets for sale on this site , not sure if they sold though