Vintage CB's

Author Topic: Vintage CB's  (Read 1597 times)

Offline 71bigblock

• Sr. Resident
    • Steve's Mopars
Vintage CB's
« on: February 02, 2009 - 10:40:56 AM »
Hey guys, I know a couple of you guys are into vintage CB's.  Super Blue and Pistol Gripper are a couple that I know of. 

Anyway, I'm buying an old Catalina 23 Channel from a guy.  $15 shipped.  He doesnt know if it works or not, but I figured I could spend $15 on a lot worse things.

I have a newer Cobra, so I figure with one in the Challenger, and one in the Truck, two people could (me and whoever else) could keep track while going to shows, would be pretty fun, no?   :dunno:

Alaskan_TA

Re: Vintage CB's
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009 - 03:36:50 PM »
I have a Chrysler AM / FM / CB radio from a '77 Dodge van, I am not sure if it is going to go in the T/A or the Coronet yet. It is a great thing to have for road trips.  :bigsmile:

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009 - 05:17:31 PM »
That's pretty cool, Steve!  Thanks for keeping us in mind.  :)

I was into the vintage stuff because that's what came with my car, not a CB but the 8-track, but the CB is pretty cool!  You have to get one of those cool whip antennas!  I may actually up grade to a Blaupunkdt cassette...I got a crate full of 80's stuff free on craigslist....more junk...  :faint:

I do have a CB but it's from the 80's and it's more of an emergency type use that can be made permanent.  Looks like the pic below.  I think I have an old Kraco unit lying around too under my piles of junk...  ::)

"Breaker break, what's your 20?"  ;D

You'll have to catch up on the CB slang... http://www.cbgazette.com/slang.html

Then test yourself... http://www.funtrivia.com/trivia-quiz/Entertainment/Trucking-101-CB-slang-166880.html
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline Pistol Gripper

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009 - 05:24:01 PM »
Sweet.

I'm kinda partial to the TRC-56

P.G.
O ne
B ig
A $$
M istake
A merica

Offline 71bigblock

• Sr. Resident
    • Steve's Mopars
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009 - 06:21:42 PM »
Cool stuff guys. 

Back in High School, a bunch of my buddies and I got CB's for our trucks.  So I have at least three whips that I know of, and cords and stuff.  But I should get something a little more retro than the setup I have. 

:cheers:

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009 - 08:55:57 PM »
That brings back the memories good buddy…   :bigshades:

Back in my day we would have a “fox hunt” over the cb’s on the weekends. What it amounted to was a group of us in our cars would play hide and seek one at a time. Someone with a base station would be fox control and run the game.

The FOX would have 15 minutes to hide some place in town (we set boundaries North South East and West) and give a clue(you could get real creative) every 5 minutes that had to be no further than 2 blocks away from where you parked in your car. The person that found the Fox first was now the FOX and could go hide. We would play all nightlong sometimes; it was a blast.

Most nights we would meet up at the park or one of the 24-hour donut places for a break.

My first handle was the keystone cop because of my crazy driving style at 16. I later graduated to BC and then thedodgeboys.

Dorf, little steve, skybird, buffalo hunter, plumbers daughter’s 1-7 yep he had 7 of em all on the radio.
Manny more I can’t remember all there handles, but what a great group of people and a cool way to spend time in your car with your girl or other friends.

Do people even cruze the strip or drag main anymore?  :burnout:
Go Fast & Have Fun...
70 6.1 HEMI 6-speed Drop Top...

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009 - 09:15:16 PM »
My brother & a bunch of the other guys we knew used to play that too.

Not me.

I was too busy parking.  :naughty:

They looked all over & never found me, I had rented a storage unit to pull the car into, nice & private.   :bigsmile:

Offline 71bigblock

• Sr. Resident
    • Steve's Mopars
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2009 - 09:22:56 PM »

My cousin and I have been out a few times, have cruised main street back and forth a few times, but thats it. 

The truck in the background pic is my Ram that I had the CB in.  I was seabass.   :rofl:

My dad talks about doing laps with his '70 Satellite mid seventies...

Nobody does laps or anything like that anymore.  Kids are too busy drinking and partying.   :drunk:

I dont think any girls are attracted to my rides.  Havent found the right girl yet.   :stirpot:

wagesofsin

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2009 - 09:28:03 PM »
i think we had a midland cb base in our house when i was a wee sinner.
i can recall hamming it up with my buds, and living in close proximity to o'hare airport being deathly afraid of any air bound noise to be the fcc coming for us for our dastardly ways!! :roflsmiley:

Offline NoMope Greg

• Resident
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2009 - 10:27:22 PM »

Too many places have outlawed cruising these days.  Too many gangs, too many people fighting, the law came down and that was it.   :walkaway:
Greg
2003 Ford Escape XLS
Currently Mopar-less :(

Offline cudax34me

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2009 - 10:43:22 PM »
cruizing died back in the 90s around here because of a---e polititions who never cruized when they were young.they said trafic was getting worse but it was actuallly thinning out considerably.just people hangin out and talking with the obvious street race from time to time.
on thae other side.i met my wife in 82 while hanging out with some cb buddies.we all had fun meeting at places having bbqs and such.those were the days.
i still have my cobra 1000 base and a uniden sideband mobile.i just need an antenna or 2.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009 - 10:52:35 PM by cudax34me »

Offline hooD

• detroit iron
  • Resident
  • Motor City Made Muscle
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2009 - 03:55:34 AM »
Been into CB's since 1970.  I still have my 1st base station rig, a Cam 88 tube radio.

I have a mobile unit hooked up in the garage on the work bench fed into an Antron 99 up in the garage rafters.  I listen to the 18 wheelers for entertainment.

Still have my uniden HR-2510 rig thats modified big time.  She's sitting idle these days though.   

"where's smokey?"   :smokin:
-Larry
member since AUG 2007
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvrWiLgDm7Y

southeastern michigan usa

1973 'CUDA 340

original owner
37,117 miles

:grinyes: *click my E-Body* :grinyes:

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2009 - 09:22:20 AM »
Sweet.

I'm kinda partial to the TRC-56

P.G.

That is way cool, P.G.!

I love the "phone" hand set!  Never saw that on a CB before!  Reminds me of the old movies from the 60's that the actors pretended to have a car phone and had those handsets.  :grinyes:

1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline heminut

• Resident
  • owner of the poor man's Hemi Cuda
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2009 - 09:36:53 AM »

The reason the cruising and dragging main street here got the attention of law enforcement wasn't because of traffic problems and wasn't really even because of fights. The biggest problem was the newer, younger kids were trashing the places they congregated at and the business owners got tired of coming to work the next morning and finding trash all over their parking lots. The owner of an auto parts store told me he didn't mind the kids hanging out in his parking lot because as long as they were around no one would try breaking into the store, but he got tired of having to clean the beer bottles off of his roof! :faint:
1970 5.7 Hemi Cuda

Offline farmertan

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2009 - 09:55:47 AM »
last summer i stopped in terre haute in. on 41 south side of 70 pulled into a mall to get some sleep, very foggy nope thats smoke, people sitting in lawn chairs by the lights. and across the street in a parking lot kids where sitting waiting for the next burn out, 85% diesel trucks (farm boys) with 5in straight pipes this whent on for hours never did see a cop.  :burnout: :woo:
73 340 4sp 2nd owner since 85    brett