Author Topic: Tube chassis oil pans  (Read 1145 times)

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
Tube chassis oil pans
« on: February 02, 2009 - 11:23:45 PM »
Besides Milodon, any other place to search?   Mancini has one for 345.  it's a 10 qt and looks right for my engine.

I have a 12 qt milodon on it now,I ran it with my old set up, so now full tube chassis car sits lower,  but we need/ want to lower the crank center line. My partner is afraid of it being to hard to keep the front end down doing 1.06 60 ft's.  I already have the dual swivel set up and everything else on the engine already. It's just the pan is 3 inches or less off the ground now. So if I am in a wheel stand It may cause damage if it comes down hard.

I dont think it will be a problem running a 10 qt pan but not sure.   I was told to find one 7 inches in back and 6 in the front. The milodon is 6 and 6, but it has the trap doors and all.  My car is going together pretty quick now.  Chryco, you think 10 qts will be big enough?  I need to check with my partner but to late right now. Here's a pic of my engine oil lines coming from the pump. I don't want to drain the pan and starve the engine. Didnt have a problem with the 12 qt.  Oh, I already have 28 inch front moroso tires, not going larger, and the back is 17x33 so the last pic shows the 12qt close to the floor now.  The chassis is done and all the sheet metal is being done now

If you got a link, please post it....ALAN

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
  • Hemi-fied Mopar in Australia
Re: Tube chassis oil pans
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009 - 01:32:01 AM »
Hey Alan,  any chance you have a picture of the underside of the engine to show how much room is around the engines sump please buddy.   I have a secondhand sump here from a Funny Car that has all the provisions for a swining pick up.   Or i could hand fabricate you a 12 quart sump and wing each side for extra ground clearance rather than depth..   This is something that i specialize at and i fit trap doors and everything, or if you want to go for a Dry Sump, i could build that for you aswell instead :2thumbs:
1970 Barracuda   (O^--^===|===^--^O)
1971 Barracuda   (O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)
1970 Challenger  (O O [======R/T=] O O)
1971 Challenger  (O O ===== ===== O O)
I pay homage to the best Mopars ever built.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009 - 02:17:43 AM »
10 qts should be lots + what is int he filters
 try Racejunk , there must be 100s of used Alcohol hemi pans used out there , I had one on my cuda , the 2 cars I am helping to build right now both have external line 10-12 qt pans on them

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009 - 09:30:29 AM »
Thanks guys, I see mancini has a 10 qt by milodon in stock and it's 345.00 bucks

Kenny, it's wide open under the car, it's a tube chassis car.  I run dual pick ups.   I will pick up that pan from milodon in 3 weeks.  I will be selling the 12 qt with the deep sump after I purchase this other one.  When you say sump, area, are you reffering to under the crank?  It's a 4.15 crank. The pan will have the trap doors.

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
  • Hemi-fied Mopar in Australia
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009 - 05:00:12 PM »
Kenny, it's wide open under the car, it's a tube chassis car.  I run dual pick ups.   I will pick up that pan from milodon in 3 weeks.  I will be selling the 12 qt with the deep sump after I purchase this other one.  When you say sump, area, are you reffering to under the crank?  It's a 4.15 crank. The pan will have the trap doors.
Hey Alan, i was talking in reference to physical sump size when referring to sump area and the area around it to make a sump wider rather than lower buddy.  I could have made you one that is the same depth as a standard sump but made it a lot wider to hold the volume of oil you are going to need was all.

Good that you have tracked one down but. :2thumbs: good luck and keep us posted on your build please. :clapping:
1970 Barracuda   (O^--^===|===^--^O)
1971 Barracuda   (O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)
1970 Challenger  (O O [======R/T=] O O)
1971 Challenger  (O O ===== ===== O O)
I pay homage to the best Mopars ever built.

Offline Changin Gears

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009 - 05:53:33 PM »
Alan,

I run the 8 quart Milodon 3.75" front, 5" rear depth.  Even with it, I am at less than 3" ground clearance.  Never had any oil problems, but mine will only pull a 1.17 60'.

The goal never changes - Stop the 60' timer with your back tires

Offline Changin Gears

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009 - 06:33:51 PM »
You can watch my oil pan in action in this video (if you switch high quality, full screen).  The oil pressure gauge is the one on the right.

The goal never changes - Stop the 60' timer with your back tires