Author Topic: WIW - My /6 Beater Duster w a 318 in it  (Read 1832 times)

Offline ChallengerGary

• Resident
    • Challenger Gary
WIW - My /6 Beater Duster w a 318 in it
« on: February 04, 2009 - 02:10:25 PM »
 A WIW question on a v8 vs /6

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay - trying to plan my steps to getting out of debt and am re-evaluating my current driver situation. As some of you may know, just after Christmas I picked up a /6 Duster that had a great body but needed some love (no pun intended)

http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=53095.0

Well, I am really trying to aleviate a TON of debt at my house and since nobody has bought my '92 Ram Charger I am considering selling the Duster and getting the RC back on the road. A buddy of mine has offered to rebuild the trans for me in barter for some paint & body work on his rat rod. It'll only set me back cost of parts for my tranny and he will buy material for his body work.

That being said, now I am in a quandry about the Duster. I plan on having the interior finished within the next couple of weeks. At that point, I can sell it as it is (or will be once done) OR I can drop in a 318/904 combo that I have "laying around."

Now the question is - What is it worth with the /6? What would it be worth with the 318? FYI - I plan on putting a new timing chain, freeze plugs, aluminum intake, and 4 barrel on the 318 if/when I drop it in...

WWCCD??? (What Would Cuda Challenger Do?)
2006 Dodge Ram 1500 Mega Cab 5.7 Hemi

1972 Dodge Demon - "new" project

AND TOO MANY OTHER MOPARS THROUGH MY HANDS TO COUNT

Offline 'Cuda Hunter

• Sr. Resident
  • Tastes Like Chicken
Re: WIW - My /6 Beater Duster w a 318 in it
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009 - 02:16:53 PM »
I feel, with the way that the economy currently is that the /6 is still a good selling pitch.  Not much money out there and I have seen alot of /6's selling lately.  Seems people are really concerned with gas mileage.  Those who love old cars but don't want a gas guzzler are going to be more likely to purchase the /6.  In my opinion, leave it alone.  Someone will purchase it with the 6.  If it doesn't sale quick enough, it never hurts to try the 318.  Not real sure on a worth, but I think the /6 is a good idea. 
  You might want to try selling it over at ForABodiesonly.com. aka FABO. 
That's my two cents anyway!
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Offline 72bluNblu

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009 - 02:24:39 PM »
I'd probably leave the /6 in it. Converting it to a 318 is a little more involved than just dropping it in, and the 318 probably won't raise the value considerably compared to the /6, especially if the /6 is the original motor. As long as the /6 is running well, I'd leave it alone. With the market the way it is, you're probably only looking at a couple thousand dollars either way.

Offline ChallengerGary

• Resident
    • Challenger Gary
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009 - 02:25:59 PM »
I was kind of thinking along the same lines.  I've actually posted this same question over on FABO already.  Any idea what kind of $$ I'd be able to get out of it once I finish up the interior?

Offline NoMope Greg

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009 - 02:43:22 PM »
My guess is the 318 adds maybe $500 - no more than $1000.  Far more valuable is the paint and bodywork and the interior work.  My guess is that with all the interior work done, with patience you could sell it for about $4 - $5k with the \6, maybe $6k with a 318. 

This Duster is for sale at a local used car lot, 318, restored interior, Go-Wing, they want $8900.  It's been posted for at least three months. 

There's also this one, which looks similar to yours or the Dart Sport that Mopar Muscle built.  It's also a \6, looks to have nice paint and a nice interior, though probably not as new as yours.  The seller wants $3500.  I'm betting it sells fast.

Why don't you fix the tranny on the RC and then sell it?  I bet more people will be interested if they don't have to deal with repairs immediately.  That sounds like the most inexpensive route - little cash outlay and the more economical car stays.
Greg
2003 Ford Escape XLS
Currently Mopar-less :(

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009 - 03:16:21 PM »
Green & white two tone /6 Duster -  :droolingbounce:

I wish you would have had it for sale when I was looking for one!

I would still like to have one but I have no money now.

Barry

Offline ChallengerGary

• Resident
    • Challenger Gary
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009 - 11:06:43 AM »

Why don't you fix the tranny on the RC and then sell it?  I bet more people will be interested if they don't have to deal with repairs immediately.  That sounds like the most inexpensive route - little cash outlay and the more economical car stays.

Basically, I am looking at it from a pure return on investment stand point.  My Ram Charger with the tranny fixed will still only be worth about a grand.  The Duster when done will easily be 3-5 times that.  I will be able to take the money from the Duster plus the money from my RR clone that I just sold, pay off a couple of things, and then re-invest some into getting my 70 Challenger R/T ready to sell.  There are a few things I have to buy for it in order to get it to a point where people would be willing to buy it.  I have a lot of parts for it but figure I need about 3 grand +/- to git 'er done.  She needs a new dash pad, door panels, exhaust manifolds/headers, exhaust, and brakes.  I plan on jumping on the R/T as soon as the Duster is ready to sell.

Offline lumpy

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009 - 01:55:36 PM »
You can pickup nice rust free Dusters around here for next to nothing $1,000-$1,500. Unless it's a cream puff or a 340 car they just aren't worth much.

Offline lumpy

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2009 - 02:00:20 PM »
But then again, I could be wrong............

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/cto/1012127611.html

Offline ChallengerGary

• Resident
    • Challenger Gary
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2009 - 02:08:47 PM »
OMG    :puke:   :puke:

Offline NoMope Greg

• Resident
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2009 - 04:29:05 PM »
But then again, I could be wrong............

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/cto/1012127611.html

He must be asking for all that money to recoup the cost of that nice anodized valve cover and intake manifold.  :eek7: :grinyes:
Greg
2003 Ford Escape XLS

Offline NoMope Greg

• Resident
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2009 - 04:32:10 PM »
You can always do something like this to it..........

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1971-PLYMOUTH-DUSTER-ONE-OF-A-KIND-CUSTOM-SHORTY_W0QQitemZ280304765572QQihZ018QQcategoryZ6410QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Hey, that car is located in Jackie's town.

I think it's kind of cool.  Not "I want to buy it" cool, but "Hey, look at that!" cool.
Greg
2003 Ford Escape XLS

Offline ChallengerGary

• Resident
    • Challenger Gary
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2009 - 05:09:31 PM »

I think it's kind of cool.  Not "I want to buy it" cool, but "Hey, look at that!" cool.

That's like saying a chick has a great personality  :poopoke:

Offline lumpy

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2009 - 11:15:50 PM »
That's like saying a chick has a great personality  :poopoke:
          :roflsmiley:

That car would be fun to cruise around in at Mopar shows :2thumbs: