Author Topic: Inner Roof Rust removal help.  (Read 2508 times)

Offline buddydog

Inner Roof Rust removal help.
« on: February 05, 2009 - 12:00:36 PM »
Hey folks,
I know there is no easy answer for this one and I've read quite a bit about rust removal (and inhaled plenty of iron oxide in my time) but in a couple of weeks I am getting the car in and will begin the stripping process. I am stuck on just how to treat the areas in the rear roof area of the passenger compartment.

My project is an original vinyl top car that I plan to restore so even though there is a bit of pitting on the exterior I am not too concerned as it will be blasted, sealed and filled. On the other hand, I only need to replace the drivers rear quarter and thought I could tackle all the lower interior rust then. What about the higher areas and the passengers side?

I know my blaster isn't going to be able to reach every nook and cranny, nor will I be able to get in there with a wire wheel. What to do? Should I consider removing that quarter too just in an effort to clean things up? Is this something I should treat with a stabilizer/remover/Por-15? The interior is just surface rust so no structural repairs are necessary and I know once everything is reassembled this is an area that will never see the light of day again in my lifetime but I would sleep better knowing i tackled it the best way.

Opinions please....

Offline cuda-cable

• MOPAR or no car
Re: Inner Roof Rust removal help.
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009 - 12:23:07 PM »
I just sprayed mine with Tremclad, it will never get wet

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009 - 12:26:27 PM »
I usually prime and paint the area body color. If its really bad I hit it with POR 15 first.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline elitecustombody

• Supra collector
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009 - 12:39:02 PM »
blast all as much as possible before application of any corrosion preventative chemicals,

I know I would not sleep well if I just hosed POR-15,Rust Bullet or any kind of sealers over any rust,
Stefan B

Elite Custom Body = AMD Sheetmetal & Glass at great prices !!

Don't do what's easy, do what's right!!

Offline cwestra

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009 - 12:44:25 PM »
Try and get into as much of the area as possible with a wire brush to remove any loose rust.  Clean thoroughly and brush or spray with rust inhibitor (POR15 or Rust Encapsulator).  I agree that once it is all put back together and the car is sealed up there should be no problems with it.
Corey - in Northern Indiana

Offline Kapteenikosmos

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009 - 01:18:20 PM »
Por 15 seems to hold amazingly well on rusted surface when just the flaky rust is removed. I did a test panel when I first bought por15 which was probably 4 years ago or so. After the paint I tossed the panel into the woods and I have been checking it more or less frequently during these years. No problems so far. The test panel was a rusted out piece from my trunk floor and I just painted it with some leftover por15 I had from painting other stuff without any major surface preparations. Por15 really hates oil so that is the only big thing that needs to be cleaned for sure.

Bit off topic perhaps but the point was that in my opinion it should be pretty good way to protect those hard to reach places if you just shove some por there.

1967 six banger Mustang
1973 Challenger (under restoration)
1997 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (daily driver)

Offline buddydog

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009 - 03:17:44 PM »
Thanks guys.

I used Por-15 on my 53 Chevy frame and it is doing great to this day (of course it's still sitting in the garage being put back together but hey!). I am in the final stages of getting the roof chop buttoned up so I can paint and move it out of the garage and get started on the Cuda. This all seemed easy before we had our daughter! Something about naps and quiet?!?!

Anyway, I thought it'd be okay if I did me "best" in there and went with the Por-15 but I wanted a few more opinions before I got too far ahead of myself!

As always, thanks!

Geoff

P.S. I just picked up my new rear quarter from Matt's Classic Bowties yesterday and it looks great. They were great on price and allowing me to pick up instead of shipping!

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009 - 03:26:52 PM »
I recently did mine with Rust Bullet. Came out great using a low cost air gun. Didn't want it going thru a good one. Reduced it a little first before spraying it on. Some people claim that Rust Bullet is better than POR-15. I haven't used POR yet but have been happy with the results of Rust Bullet so far. I hear it's more of a sandable epoxy without any lifting or peeling drawbacks I've read about before about POR. But again I haven't used POR and have seen good results using the Rust Bullet.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline elitecustombody

• Supra collector
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2009 - 03:44:06 PM »
yes, I heard that POR will lift off and crack, nothing negative on Rust Bullet, but I'm sure if you follow instructions,there should be no problems, most likely people miss-use or fail to follow instructions,that's when bad things can happen
Stefan B

Elite Custom Body = AMD Sheetmetal & Glass at great prices !!

Don't do what's easy, do what's right!!

Offline Scatterbrain

• 1973 Challenger
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2009 - 03:52:32 PM »
I used the Rust Encapsulation stuff from Eastwood on my Corvette's frame.  The directions say to wire brush any loose rust and spray.  It is available in brush on and rattle can forms.  I used the rattle can and it worked out really great.  Its also self leveling. Here is a shot of the rear crossmember.

Offline IMNCARN82

• Resident
  • LeDZeP
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2009 - 05:16:05 PM »
Great topic !   That eastwood stuff...  That's the one step process?    I've been trying a rust encapsulator type of product from NAPA. it's like a milk. Turns it black. I tried a rattle can of Duplicolor bedliner over it. Seems to stick real good.  This is on a rough floor.   I was considering the Eastwood stuff.     They were on classic car guy the other week talking it up.  hafta order it.   Looks nice!  Is it like a satin type of finish?  How rough does it get? Looks smoother than bedliner.   Always looking for tried and true methods.  Where do you get rust bullet? does it come in black?   
'73 340 5 speed,RMS,BAER,... "Supercuda" (O[   ]||||[   ]O)  
'69 Dodge Charger 383,Auto                  (OiiiiiiiiiiIiiiiiiiiiiO)
13' Challenger R/T BlacktoP  6spd. (OO________OO)
71' Demon
75' Duster
87' Conquest TSI
56' Plaza
Boulder CO
Robert    "cuda bob"

Offline cwestra

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2009 - 05:35:11 PM »
I used Eastwood Rust Encapsulator on my car extensively.  Comes in satin black, silver, red, grey.  If flows on very nice, similar to others I suppose.  The rattle cans are very convienent compared to quarts that you reduce and spray through your gun.  I've done both but even at the higher cost, have favored the spray can.  Lot less hassle.  Just be sure to shake well before spraying to aviod clogging nozzle.  Black is similar to chassis black.  Maybe a little bit flatter.  Eastwood runs sales on it periodically, especially in todays market.

Offline IMNCARN82

• Resident
  • LeDZeP
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2009 - 05:42:18 PM »
yeah i hear ya'    Sounds like it's worth it. i want something nice.  How many cans to do an underbody?     Just spray on and that's it? 
'73 340 5 speed,RMS,BAER,... "Supercuda" (O[   ]||||[   ]O)  
'69 Dodge Charger 383,Auto                  (OiiiiiiiiiiIiiiiiiiiiiO)
13' Challenger R/T BlacktoP  6spd. (OO________OO)
71' Demon
75' Duster
87' Conquest TSI
56' Plaza
Boulder CO
Robert    "cuda bob"

Offline cwestra

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2009 - 05:55:22 PM »
For a surface that large I would go with quart can and spray from a primer gun (1.5 or 1.8 tip).  You would go through quite a few rattle cans.  They say a can covers approx. 10 sqft.  Cost is around $25 per.  Sprays better from a gun anyways.  A quart should easliy cover the underside.

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2009 - 07:08:08 PM »
The Rust Bullet was about 35 bucks for a Qt. And don't forget the respirator either way; rattle can or air spray method.
Mike, Fremont, CA.