Author Topic: Can't get car to align....may have found answer????  (Read 8553 times)

Offline kingtroll

Re: Can't get car to align....may have found answer????
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2009 - 10:47:45 PM »
My problem 72challorange is I have never changed these parts or seen someone do it. I am a computer guy by trade. I am afraid of doing more harm than good. What I am thinking of doing is getting all the parts ( thanks for the list guys) and then having my mechanic replace them. It's too bad you guys don't live closer because with guidance I would love to do it myself and learn a thing or two. I'd make it a beer and pizza time and certainly offer an extra set of hands on your projects. I do have my old mans Chiltons book and I still may go for it but I'll have to get the parts first. When I was a kid my dad was a pretty good mechanic (had no choice but to fix himself) and I helped him sometimes but I never helped him in the suspension area.
1974 Barracuda

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2009 - 10:55:38 PM »
If you can drive it to my shop in alabama next week. I will fix it for free labor, and supply the bushings.  I got a 2 week break coming up. Take me 1 day to fix for you...ALAN

Oh, free room n board if you come up :2thumbs:

Offline kingtroll

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2009 - 11:03:20 PM »
Damn Alan that's awful nice of you man. I wish I could take you up on the offer. Alabama is a long ways from here but if I ever am in the area I'll stop by a say hello. You ever come down to Miami you can stay at my house no prob.
1974 Barracuda

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2009 - 11:29:06 PM »
Would it help if cc.c started a little kitty fund to help you purchase the front end parts since times are keeping you in a slump?  I am sure we could either send you parts or pay pal you a bit to help you along.  I could either buy you some bushings or send you a 20 to help out. Whatcha say?

I really have believed from the very begining of me being a newbie here that this site as a family site could work together and help out many members here with the pay it forward presents. A little from everyone goes a long ways.

Offline LAA66

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2009 - 12:06:03 AM »
 The way it sounds a component suddenly gave loose in the front end, or someone smacked a curb. Either way it's probably not safe to drive like that and should be put on stands until you figure out what's going on. :2cents:

Offline NoMope Greg

• Resident
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2009 - 12:13:38 AM »
I'm in for $20.  :2thumbs:  :chatting:

King, it's really a straightforward job - one of the easier major jobs to do.  For the most part, it's mostly about taking parts off and replacing them and putting them back on.  I won't say there aren't things you have to do carefully, but there isn't anything that requires you to make very careful measurements like you would in building an engine.  If you have the Chiltons manual, it's pretty much all there as far as directions.  You will need the right tools - some wrenches and sockets (but some big ones - IIRC, the largest nut you have to deal with is 7/8"), a 1/2" torque wrench, a big hammer, a pickle fork (for splitting the tie rod ends off the drag link and the steering knuckles.  Warning - this can be the most frustrating part of the job.)  You can also take Tom up on the offer for the ball joint socket.  

If you decide to give it a shot, just take your time and do one side at a time, so that you have the other side as a reference.  It may take a few days if you're working alone and with hand tools, but if you aren't using it as a daily driver and have a place to put it up on jackstands, you'll be alright.  
Greg
2003 Ford Escape XLS
Currently Mopar-less :(

Offline IMNCARN82

• Resident
  • LeDZeP
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2009 - 12:17:48 AM »
put me in for 20 too...    sweet car!!!!   :2thumbs:
'73 340 5 speed,RMS,BAER,... "Supercuda" (O[   ]||||[   ]O)  
'69 Dodge Charger 383,Auto                  (OiiiiiiiiiiIiiiiiiiiiiO)
13' Challenger R/T BlacktoP  6spd. (OO________OO)
71' Demon
75' Duster
87' Conquest TSI
56' Plaza
Boulder CO
Robert    "cuda bob"

Offline 422STROKER

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 6/3/06
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2009 - 07:52:54 AM »
Kingtroll, I never tore one apart before until I had to.  Wasn't too bad.  Give me a shout if you need something.  I do have a box of misc bushings here somewhere.  Have a good mechanic check your car out and they should be able to diagnose a faulty suspension part.  Maybe you just need 1 or 2 things to get you by for now.

Tom :2thumbs:
Tom
12.77 @ 108.87 15" Street Drag radial tires 3.23 gear

Offline kingtroll

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2009 - 07:59:45 AM »
You guys are great. It's really not the money it's the knowledge. I have know about my company closing for some time and they have compensated me to stay. I had plenty of severence pay ( worked there 20 years) so I payed off all my credit cards and just owe the normal stuff like my house and one of my cars. What I didn't expect was the economy to come crashing down at the same time I was layed off. I do have a good chance for a new position which I hope I'll get but I was told it will take about 2 weeks before I know if I get the job. They are still interviewing. I have just not been spending money like before when I was working just in case I am out of work even longer. My wife is still working and I am collecting unemployment (first time in my life) . What I have been doing is putting aside what I can and then fixing or replacing stuff.  I have a nice amount saved for the just in case it's a long haul or a major expense comes out of the blue...we all know that can happen at anytime....but thanks for the offer guys on the money contributions but in that department thank God I am fine. I feel we are a family here and I don't think many web sites can say that and that's why I love this site and the offers for help here on all levels just proves that for any that ever doubted that. My real problem is that I have never done anything like that and don't want to screw up what may be a minor issue. I am going to look at my book and if it's just a matter of swapping out parts I may go for it. I drove the car and it wasn't squealing any more but I don't want to eat away brand new tires. It drove pretty much like it has for the last 2 years I have had her so maybe the alignment was never really right. (never rubbed though) My mechanic told me if there was an aftermarket upper controls arms out there that had more adjustability than the stock ones I have that should solve the problem. The thing is after looking at my own pics and hearing some of your suggestions it may be best to replace all the old parts and start fresh.
1974 Barracuda

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2009 - 08:01:55 AM »
kt....As they say, This Ain't Rocket Science.   Other than basic wrenches, a couple of jack stands, a torque wrench, grease pump, most anything else is available through Loan a Tool at many auto parts stores with the exception of maybe the upper ball joint socket.   Go for it Bro.
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline kingtroll

« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2009 - 08:09:07 AM »
I am going to see if I can get away with replacing what's needed for now and then when I am back working just order the parts to finish the rest. I gotta buy some jacks etcc...
1974 Barracuda

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2009 - 08:15:09 AM »
These may solve your alignment problem

McQuay-Norris Control Arm Bushing 

Part Number: FB458

Control Arm Bushing: Front Suspension; Upper; Optional; Eccentric Bushing; Provides Additional Positive(+) Camber Adjustment; 4 Per Car

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/ProductDetail.aspx?MfrCode=MCQ&MfrPartNumber=FB458&PartType=2068&PTSet=A
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline kingtroll

« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2009 - 08:30:18 AM »
These may solve your alignment problem

McQuay-Norris Control Arm Bushing 

Part Number: FB458

Control Arm Bushing: Front Suspension; Upper; Optional; Eccentric Bushing; Provides Additional Positive(+) Camber Adjustment; 4 Per Car

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/ProductDetail.aspx?MfrCode=MCQ&MfrPartNumber=FB458&PartType=2068&PTSet=A

Thanks....you may be right by the description.....
1974 Barracuda

Offline cwestra

« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2009 - 09:04:09 AM »
You're taking the approach that I would probably take as well.  Check everything (tie rods, idler, pitman, bearing loosness, etc...) and then just fix what's wrong.

Certainly doing the whole job is a very good project and can be fairly simple, however, it can also be a real knuckle-busting experience.  There's lots of encouragement in this thread, which is fine, but I wouldn't take it to mean it's an automatic cake walk.  I would hate to have you get half way into it and have it sit there because the job was bigger than you thought.  It's the taking apart phase that's typically the "challenging" part (obviously), but from a safety standpoint (yours and others on the road), you have to do a thorough job assembling as well.  Take a realistic approach to it and it'll be a more rewarding experience for you.

Hopefully you'll pinpoint the problem and get it back on the road where it belongs with little impact on the pocketbook.  Good luck.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2009 - 10:53:55 AM by cwestra »
Corey - in Northern Indiana

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2009 - 12:54:44 PM »
I will throw in $20 if it will help

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t