Author Topic: Rear Suspension Question  (Read 3911 times)

Offline LAA66

Re: Rear Suspension Question
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2009 - 09:16:49 PM »
 If the springs in the rear are stiff you probably don't need a sway bar. Set it aside and check that the other components are correct. :2cents:

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2009 - 09:24:15 PM »
I saw 4 leafs on the right side right?

Offline daveh

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2009 - 10:06:17 PM »
There are actually 6 leafs I have attached pics but they are hard to see.  The two bottom leafs are fairly short 13" second to the bottom and the bottom one is 9".  The 13" leaf if strapped in with the rest and the 9" one isn't.  And both bottom leafs are cut right at the pearch.  Funny thing is that each side is installed the opposite way.  One one side the smaller leafs face the front and on the other side they face rear.  Now maybe that's the way they are susposed to be installed.  I've been in the Chevy world for 25 years.  Mopars are all new.  I may be able to take the bottom one out and get the shocks on but will the shocks still be too far extended?

The person who did the work did a nice job overall and I'm sure they are correct.

What if I get a longer 8" link for the sway bar would that work?

Thanks again
Dave

Offline LAA66

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2009 - 11:02:07 PM »
 I'm no expert but the U-bolts don't seem right. Too much thread showing.

I heard the bottom plates are set opposite like that for axle wrap at launch. Maybe someone else knows more of this. :clueless:

Offline daveh

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2009 - 11:27:24 PM »
No the U bolt length won't make a difference.  Thanks

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2009 - 03:55:57 AM »
yes a longer sway bar link will help , energy suspension sells link kits with poly bushings in different lengths

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline cwestra

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2009 - 01:58:11 PM »
What year did you say your car was?  I don't think '70 (& newer) e-bodies ever came with 6 leafs.
Corey - in Northern Indiana

Offline daveh

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2009 - 04:27:36 PM »
Mine is a 71 Challenger Convertible. 
I looked it up in the Paddock catalog and that is the correct amount of leafs, boy this is getting frustraiting.  After a little more investigation I think heavy duty springs were installed.  This would change all of the rear geometry.  Looks to be almost 2 inches higher.  Thanks agian.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009 - 04:51:37 PM by daveh »

Offline cwestra

« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2009 - 05:49:41 PM »
You're correct.  It's referred to as 5-1/2 leafs.

Offline daveh

« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2009 - 08:46:41 AM »
Thanks CWESTRA.  I'm going to try to find longer shocks and longer sway bar links.  At least I'm not going crazy.  I like the height, this way I won't have to install air shocks.

Offline daveh

« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2009 - 02:55:44 PM »
FOLLOW-Up

Hey guys I found that a mid 70's truck shock is a little longer and fits well.  It's a little fatter then the stock because of it being a truck shock but overall not a bad fit.  I also found a longer sway bar link from a toyota truck that's is a little longer and they were only 4 bucks each.  Haven't installed them yet hopefully this weekend. 

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2009 - 02:25:41 AM »
 :2thumbs:

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Roppa440

« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2009 - 08:39:55 AM »
I fitted a set of KYB "Gas-adjust" shocks to my Challenger and found that the rears were not really long enough to allow more than an inch of downward travel from the normal ride height position.

Rather than mess around trying to find correct length shocks I simply fitted 4" shock extensions to them. Now the shocks are about mid-way on their stroke and hopefully will work better on street and strip.
Dave
1970 Challenger R/T
1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

Offline somedaysoon

« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2009 - 09:10:20 AM »
 How about some different pics. Not so close up, back up a little and if possible get a little more light under there. I'm kinda thinkin along the lines of Moparal, wrong leafs.  Pete 

sorry my bad didn't see there was a page 2
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009 - 11:26:29 AM by somedaysoon »

Offline cwestra

« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2009 - 10:59:08 AM »
Just putting my rear end back together with new springs and I am having the same problem with attaching my rear sway bar.  A lot of weight is still off the car, including engine, trans, interior, etc...   Does anyone know if the car will set down much lower in the rear when these components are back in?  I have included some pictures below including one of the rear shackle.  It is being pulled pretty far forward even with a jack under the axle.  Any help would be appreciated.