Author Topic: Rear Suspension Question  (Read 3909 times)

Offline daveh

Rear Suspension Question
« on: February 08, 2009 - 09:36:03 AM »
Hey guys as most of you know by now I just bought a 71 Challenger Convertible.  It's in decent shape but it's tough trying to figure out what someone else did.  Here's todays question, my rear suspension seems to not be right I can't seem to get the sway bar on easly I can pry it on with force and Lots of force which shouldn't be the case if I do put the bar on then the links bend which really shouldn't be the case.  Also the new shocks I have are a 1/2" short fully extented and they are new.  The car is on jack stands,  The rear is a 489 case.  I have attached some pics let me know what you think? Thanks Dave
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009 - 09:41:16 AM by daveh »

Offline cwestra

Re: Rear Suspension Question
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009 - 09:59:35 AM »
I have posted a couple of pictures of the set-up on my '70 Cuda before I began my restoration, which I believe to be factory set-up (ignore the rust).  I know that doesn't answer your question but maybe you see something different from yours.  There is a bending moment on the link, as mine were both bend when I removed them, but not as severe as yours seem to be. 
Corey - in Northern Indiana

Offline ksierens

• 70 Challenger Resurrection
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009 - 10:25:48 AM »
I would start by makeing sure the frame brackets are located right.  I didn't sake it, but someone posted a picture of the measurement for the bracket. 
1970 Triple Black Challenger R/T  440 Six Pack - 4 Speed - 3.55 Dana
Kurt - SE Michigan

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009 - 10:32:31 AM »
Are they the right leaf springs and hangers?  B body springs would throw the geometry off where the perches ride if I'm not mistaken. 

Is the sway bar upside down?

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009 - 12:21:32 PM »
Pics of my '73 coupe...unaltered suspension...measured from bottom of frame
  car is supported by frame, rear end hanging free

« Last Edit: February 08, 2009 - 12:24:01 PM by bullitt99 »
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline ksierens

• 70 Challenger Resurrection
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009 - 01:12:36 PM »
Is the sway bar upside down?

If it was upside down, it would not align with the rear end since it is offset to one side.
1970 Triple Black Challenger R/T  440 Six Pack - 4 Speed - 3.55 Dana
Kurt - SE Michigan

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2009 - 02:29:18 PM »
to start with your suspension is at full drop with the shocks not even connected so that si what is causing most of your porblem , with the shocks on & the suspension at normal ride height everything will sit normally

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline cwestra

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2009 - 02:34:15 PM »
Jack stands appear to be under axle.  This should be simulating normal ride height.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2009 - 02:55:24 PM »
yes he has stands under the axle but the diff is still hanging very low

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline heminut

• Resident
  • owner of the poor man's Hemi Cuda
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2009 - 03:41:41 PM »
Maybe the car has Super Stock springs in it? I run Chrysler Imperial shocks (2" longer than stock) with my S/S springs.
1970 5.7 Hemi Cuda

Offline daveh

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2009 - 05:18:58 PM »
UPDATE:
I took the sway bar off the frame bracket and bolted it to the links the frame brackets were about 1-1/2" from where the should be on the frame.  Like I said I didn't rebuild the rear so the springs could be hevier or not stock???  Not sure

Also because I can't get the shocks on should I go by a longer set and if so how much longer.  What other dodge should I ask for shocks for.  It's easier asking for a certain vehicle than telling the guy lets find one that fits because you know those guys don't want to waist time on me and if I keep unsnapping the shock ties they stay open and they won't fit in the box.

Would it be easier for me to just buy the aftermarket sway bar that bolts to be bottom of the axle?  I'm not so concerned about originallity.  Thanks

I appreciate all of your help.
Dave

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2009 - 05:29:41 PM »
Measurements I took of the frame mounts.... 1/2" on the shock should not matter...
  longer sway bar sets would be easy to obtain.

Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2009 - 05:32:21 PM »
The stock shocks should fit right.  You must have the wrong shocks installed.  There are dimples in the frame where the bolt holes are to be drilled as well

Offline cwestra

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2009 - 05:57:10 PM »
You say that you can't seem to get the sway bar on easily.  Wasn't it on when you bought the car?  The dust on top of the bar suggests you are not installing a bar but that it did come that way when you purchased it, correct?  What happened that caused you to replace the shocks?  Any indication that the springs were recently replaced?  You may want to find out what was done back there by the previous owner.

Offline daveh

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2009 - 07:45:45 PM »
One side of the sway bar was not connected the other was when I got it and there were not shocks mounted.  The complete suspension is new and I can's talk to the previous owner because he isn't the one who did the work it was the owner before him and I don't know who that was.  I think I'm going to see if I can get longer links any suggestions on the longer shocks?  Thanks for all of your suggestions this is really great.  Any other ideas are also appreciated.
Dave