Author Topic: Suspension Sag-Bad Shock?  (Read 1331 times)

Offline troutstreamnm

Suspension Sag-Bad Shock?
« on: February 08, 2009 - 02:12:25 PM »
The rear suspension on my 71 Challenger has a sag on the passenger side that is roughly 1/2" lower than the driver's side.  I reused the springs and KYB shocks for the restoration since they are pretty fresh with only 2500 miles or so on them from new.  The passenger side also seems like it bottoms out on sharp bumps.  No visual evidence of shock problems, but could the KYB shock be bad?  Thanks for your input.
08 SRT-8 Challenger
71 GA4 Challenger
70 FK5 Charger 500

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: Suspension Sag-Bad Shock?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009 - 02:16:17 PM »
shiocks will not affect how the cars sits, the opposite torsion bar adjustment will change that so undo the left front T bars slightly . the bottoming out can be the result of a bad shock though

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline troutstreamnm

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009 - 05:59:15 PM »
Thanks CP.  I may take that shock off and see if it still is gassed up.  What would be good quality replacement shocks should I need to go that route?  I have Edelbrocks on my truck and really like them.  How are they for these cars?  Thanks.
08 SRT-8 Challenger
71 GA4 Challenger
70 FK5 Charger 500

Offline 422STROKER

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 6/3/06
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009 - 06:18:57 PM »
What kind of springs?  Do they have the same amount of leaves?  Check the heights on the front too.  I got all mine the same except for the pass side too, about the same too(1/2"-1/4") to the wheel lips.

Tom

I have the MP springs and Kyb's.
Tom
12.77 @ 108.87 15" Street Drag radial tires 3.23 gear

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009 - 06:23:20 PM »
The Eddys may be a good buy , I have not tried them but most seem to like them

Offline troutstreamnm

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009 - 11:21:40 PM »
I'm running the MP heavy duty (R/T) rear spring set.  I'm guessing the one rear shock is bad since it's bottoming out on hard bumps and that sounds terrible when it happens  :eek4: I may order a pair of Edelbrocks and just replace the KYB's since I'm not real thrilled with the KYB's anyway. 
08 SRT-8 Challenger
71 GA4 Challenger
70 FK5 Charger 500

Offline LAA66

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2009 - 12:05:10 AM »
What kind of springs?  Do they have the same amount of leaves?  Check the heights on the front too.  I got all mine the same except for the pass side too, about the same too(1/2"-1/4") to the wheel lips.

Tom

I have the MP springs and Kyb's.

I'm still working with mine after a front end rebuild. It sits 1/4" higher on the back driver side with the front pretty much level. (stock re-arched leafs).

I'm running the MP heavy duty (R/T) rear spring set.  I'm guessing the one rear shock is bad since it's bottoming out on hard bumps and that sounds terrible when it happens  :eek4: I may order a pair of Edelbrocks and just replace the KYB's since I'm not real thrilled with the KYB's anyway. 
I can't see the rear bottoming on anything but the nastiest pothole. Maybe some thing else is making a similar sound. :dunno:

Offline 422STROKER

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 6/3/06
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2009 - 12:16:27 AM »
Check the exhaust too for clearance, it will make horrible noises on bumps if touching.

Tom
Tom
12.77 @ 108.87 15" Street Drag radial tires 3.23 gear

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2009 - 03:57:58 AM »
if you adjust the T bar it will generally have more effect on the rear suspension than the front to level the rear as the leaf spring rate is very soft by comparison

Offline troutstreamnm

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2009 - 10:43:57 PM »
Whatever it is it's not a good feeling when it happens.  I'm going to get under the car and take a closer look this weekend.  The exhaust pipe clearance was not a problem before the restoration and I don't recall this happening previously.  The most likely culprit is a bad shock, but I guess it could be a spring issue.  Anybody have KYB's go bad just sitting on a rolling frame for a couple years?  It seemed to be O.K. for the first 500 miles or so after the restoration and then I started notice the slamming when hitting larger bumps.  I went ahead and ordered a pair of Edelbrock IAS shocks for the rear.  Other than the dent in the wallet, it can only improve things.  Now I'll have to get a pair for the front down the road  :naughty:
08 SRT-8 Challenger
71 GA4 Challenger
70 FK5 Charger 500

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2009 - 01:32:27 AM »
did the car have air shocks on it at some point  , the upper shock mount could have broken

Offline troutstreamnm

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2009 - 10:35:18 PM »
Not that I'm aware of CP, but I'll be sure and get some light on the mounts to check it out.  Thanks  :2thumbs:
08 SRT-8 Challenger
71 GA4 Challenger
70 FK5 Charger 500