Author Topic: deck lid repairs  (Read 665 times)

Offline Chlngrcrzy

deck lid repairs
« on: February 08, 2009 - 06:20:25 PM »
I need some suggestions on how to fix these rusted through areas on the underside of my deck lid. For the most part it isn't too bad, but it looks real tricky, and it is such a small area to work. Anyone else ever repaired this particular area? New deck lids are 400 to 500. So i really don't want to go that route unless i have to.  :feedback:

Offline femtnmax

Re: deck lid repairs
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009 - 11:00:36 PM »
I have the same problem.  The seal surface and out toward the "skin" is rusted thru.  Looked difficult for an amature bodyman like myself.  I'm spending $$$ on a decent paint job, and want to keep water out of the trunk, so I bought a new AMD trunk lid.  I'll supply photos and the good and bad when both rear quarters are replaced and all parts fitted to each other.  The deeper I get into the body, below all the old paint and bondo, the more trouble (spell $$$) I'm finding. 
Good luck.   
Phil

Offline Chlngrcrzy

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009 - 11:21:30 PM »
Oh wow do i hear you. Somedays i look at the car and wonder what is original. I will probably save the lid for last, get all my other metal repairs done first, then if i feel inspired  maybe tackle the lid repairs or just go buy a new one. :dunno:

Offline 71ChallengerSE

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009 - 05:56:02 PM »
I don't know how bad your lid is but mine was real solid, it just had a lot of large tricky holes around the lip, so I bought a brand new Goodmark one (the AMD ones weren't out at the time) Best 60 bucks I spent for the car :2cents: