Author Topic: Here's mine  (Read 3844 times)

Offline boydsdodge

• Top end's unlimited....Aaaauuuuugghhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!
    • Boydsdodge
Here's mine
« on: February 10, 2009 - 06:27:46 PM »
1971 Challenger, I am second owner, original paint, gonna try my best to save as much as I can during the build.
Was a 318 auto console car.
On the way to being a 340 5spd road racer/street car.
Jackson from Toronto.

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
Re: Here's mine
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009 - 06:28:40 PM »
Looks like a great place to start!  :thumbsup:
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Offline IMNCARN82

• Resident
  • LeDZeP
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009 - 06:39:38 PM »
I like the vintage trans am/ super car thing too!!    You got an above average start for sure!  Nice car!!!    There's another one like this around here with dog dishes.  Are you going with minilites then?   Can't wait for updates and MORE PICS!!!!! :2thumbs:Rob
'73 340 5 speed,RMS,BAER,... "Supercuda" (O[   ]||||[   ]O)  
'69 Dodge Charger 383,Auto                  (OiiiiiiiiiiIiiiiiiiiiiO)
13' Challenger R/T BlacktoP  6spd. (OO________OO)
71' Demon
75' Duster
87' Conquest TSI
56' Plaza
Boulder CO
Robert    "cuda bob"

Offline boydsdodge

• Boydsdodge
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009 - 09:05:15 PM »
I spent the last year stripping the complete under carriage and refinishing it, then rebuilding the complete suspension with all new heavy duty pieces, boxed lower control arms, Firm Feel upper arms 12" disc swap, Mopar rear heavy/duty springs, reinforced K-frame, new 3/8 fuel and brake lines, aluminum master, new clutch and brake pedal set up from keisler, new 1.16 torsion bars, fitting up the SuperLites, etc...
I will try to resize some pics that I have taken along the way and post them for you.
I have just finished up all the lower welding on the exterior sheet metal this week and then I am starting on the roof rot from the vinyl. I wish some one made roof window sections for rot repairs. It's a very common area on these cars and not everyone wants or needs to do a full roof skin and 1/4s.
Jackson from Toronto.

Offline 70shaker6pk

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009 - 09:14:14 PM »
Looks like you have a very nice car and will look great when you finish it!!   
'JS23V0B'  1970 Challenger R/T N96 440 Six Pack

Offline 340Challman

• 70 Challenger B5 A66 4 spd
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009 - 10:08:06 PM »
I like your chop version. :2thumbs:  But I also like the looks of it as is. I like mild to wild. :droolingbounce:

Keep the pics coming. It keeps me motivated. :bigsmile:

Kevin
Don't look back, I might be gaining on you.
        ___               ___
             ]            [

Offline femtnmax

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009 - 10:15:25 PM »
Great looking car your starting with!!
Tell me more details about your boxed lower control arms, reinforced K-frame, and did you make your own 3/8 fuel line, or bought from ...(how was the fit).  Looking good.
Phil

Offline elitecustombody

• Supra collector
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2009 - 12:46:50 AM »
looks like a nice project,I wish it was easier to find them in this shape
Stefan B

Elite Custom Body = AMD Sheetmetal & Glass at great prices !!

Don't do what's easy, do what's right!!

Offline boydsdodge

• Boydsdodge
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2009 - 08:38:39 AM »
I bought the reinforcement plates for the lowers from Mancini Racing.
All went well with that and look great. Then I used Firm Feels and Rick Ehrenburgs ideas of re-welding all the joints, seams and adding reinforcement to the K-frame, if I lived in the States I would have just bought the Firm Feel K-frame . but it turned out great in the end. The fuel line and brake lines are from Canada Line and Tube that is a supplier here for Fine Lines, It all fit as it should, I kept all my original lines to compare.
I am going to use my vent line as a return line for fresh fuel circulation.
The wheels are SuperLites from Australia that I ordered from a distributor on Ebay,
I ordered all 15x8s but the 8s are not going to work up front, I am ordering a complete set of 7s so I can make to sets that will work on E-bodies.
I'll sell off the spare set, I figure once other E-body guys see the wheels here in Toronto it should be an easy sale.
Jackson from Toronto.

Offline jrwoodjoe

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2009 - 12:47:52 PM »
WOW, that looks like a great car as it sits. Just curious as to how bad the original paint is because it looks pretty nice in the photo. I like the P-Chop rendering! Very cool...can't wait to see your progress.

Joe

65 Barracuda
70 Challenger

Offline boydsdodge

• Boydsdodge
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2009 - 05:22:54 PM »
Thanks, it has door dings and light scratches around the body, it sat in an underground parking garage for 20 years.
I bought it from the original owner after 10 years of asking, I found it in 91 and did a search of all the numbers and then more searching old city records for the phone number to the address. ( this was before the internet so I did some pretty good detective work)
He was really pissed the first and other times I called him, he was angry that I was able to track him down from serial numbers and licence plate.
Our conversations were short and he was always to the point. NO. is what I would here, I was always polite like I am to my elders and asked if it was ok I called him again in the future.
So every April I would call and say hi and just tell him that I am not trying rush him to sell, I just wanted to make sure he didn't forget that I was interested.
This went on for 10 years, then in the spring of 2001 he said to me "you know what? I don't think I will be driving anymore."
He hadn't driven the car since 81.
Then he said " there are 3 other people that have asked for the car besides you"
My heart jumped I wasn't expecting him to sell that year I had a one year old baby girl and a new biz I was dealing with. I asked him how many other people have called you every year and said hi?
He told me that didn't matter and that he had told them that when he was sure he was done he would let them know.
He had to decide who was going to get the car with interviews.
I was a bit bummed at this point.
He held his interviews and then called me one day and said if you want it meet me tomorrow with the cash.
Wow I had to scramble to get the coin and I was home that week playing mister mom, so off I went down town to meet with him. He was a cool guy in his 70s owned the car from late 70. He ordered the car but it didn't come with a vinyl top that he had ordered so the dealer had one installed, he only used it to get from Toronto to South Carolina and Florida to visit friends and family, he said that he never drove the car around the city he hated driving in the city. ( he lived in the center of Toronto.)
So to cut the story short, I got it after the interviews because he said the others did not show the respect for the car that I had, and he wanted to go to a good home.
He liked the Dart I drove to meet him in, with my kid strapped into the baby seat.
I had shown him that I had restored the car I was driving and he liked that a lot.
 I have tried to call him but the number does not connect.
Here is a pic of it when I picked it up from him.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009 - 05:27:17 PM by boydsdodge »
Jackson from Toronto.

Offline NoMope Greg

• Resident
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2009 - 07:38:37 PM »
THAT is a cool story!  :2thumbs:

Just goes to show what most people here on C-C already know - it pays to be nice to people.
Greg
2003 Ford Escape XLS
Currently Mopar-less :(

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2009 - 08:40:09 PM »
Hey keep me in mind when you sell the rims? I'm in Barrie.
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline e-tek

• My website: http://edanneberg.googlepages.com/home
    • E-Tek Resto's
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2009 - 10:46:48 PM »
Effin' awesome story!!!! Us Canucks are so darn nice eh?!
There's no way I would have done as much as you have already - but I'm an original-lover! The rendering still looks awesome. Good luck with it.

Offline boydsdodge

• Boydsdodge
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2009 - 11:07:08 PM »
I put the car into warm storage after going over it and deciding on the build. I held it there for 6 years while I collected all the parts i would need and my girls did a bunch of growing.
I'll try do shink a tone of pics for you guys, does anyone know how to do a group resize on my pics?
Jackson from Toronto.