Author Topic: Subframe connectors - Scratch built thru the floor  (Read 11601 times)

Offline hotrod98

• Maniac Musclecars
Re: Subframe connectors - Scratch built thru the floor
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2009 - 11:41:32 PM »
I used this same method of installing frame connectors in my 70 challenger convert. Got the idea from Magnum Force. I took a piece of sheet metal and bent it over the rails in the passenger footwell area and tack wleded it in place. The carpet fit pretty good that way with no cutting. The seats all fit perfectly and the brake lines and fuel lines were not bothered.
Now, I will say that I would prefer to see a beefier set of the U. S. Cartool frame connectors for future projects because it's not all that great of an idea to be cutting perfectly good floors. Besides, the thick connectors are really hard to weld to those thin floors and make it look nice.
For those that aren't planning to race their cars, I would use the bolt in style connectors and if you wanted them to be a little stronger, go ahead and weld them in on the ends. That's what I plan to use on the 71 Cuda that I'm collecting parts for to restore next.
1971 Cuda, Tor-red, Bench seat
1971 Cuda Drag Car
1973 Cuda Clone, EFI/OD Limelight
1970 Superbird (Yes, it's real) Black Ice
1971 Barracuda Sassy Grass Green (sold)
1970 Challenger RT SE 383 Plum Crazy
1969 Road Runner Hardtop
1968 Road Runner Coupe (sold)

www.maniacmusclecars.com

Offline 72bluNblu

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2009 - 02:42:48 AM »
Good to know! What size and thickness tubing did you use for your connectors? Any pics or more info would be great, I'm getting ready to do this and want to know what my options are and what I'm getting into here...

Offline dmk67

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2009 - 05:50:03 AM »
AWESOME WORK !!! Those frame connectors look great. Thanks for the pics and detailed how to info. :clapping:

Offline femtnmax

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2009 - 09:57:29 AM »
Have you routed the brake line, parking brake cable, and fuel line yet? Looks like the front section of the frame connector covers the holes in the frame for the brake line and fuel line...
Not yet.  I should have notched the front plates.  I'm considering having a coupler in each line at the holes your asking about.
Phil

Offline 72bluNblu

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2009 - 12:31:49 PM »
Not yet.  I should have notched the front plates.  I'm considering having a coupler in each line at the holes your asking about.

Does the tubing itself get in the way, or just the end plates? If its just the end plates I imagine I can find a way around it. If its the tubing though I may have to get more creative...

Offline femtnmax

« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2009 - 10:38:28 PM »
Does the tubing itself get in the way, or just the end plates? If its just the end plates I imagine I can find a way around it. If its the tubing though I may have to get more creative...
It's the end plates.  My chalk line mock up photo suggests the square tubing may be covering some of the hole.   For the square tubing to be in perfect alignment with the rear frame rail, the front of the tubing would cover the torsion bar fitting...could not remove the torsion bar.   I suggest locate the front of the square tubing so it just clears the oval hole.   Maybe cut/grind a curved relief in the front plate so part of the plate edge wraps around the torsion bar hole.  Be sure to have the square tubing not cover any part of the hole, then notch the plate you should be ok.
I'm considering drilling a hole thru the end plate, and having tubing connectors to join the tubing in the vicinity of the oval hole.   The oval hole really helps for removing/installing the tubing, so with a break in the tubing a round hole would work for me.  Thats what I get for taking apart one month, then installing connectors a month or so later; foregetting the need of the oval holes.  Of course Murphies law, the only holes of real importance I cover up. ::)
Speaking of details, looks to me like parking brake 1974 style, the cables and links should clear the frame connectors, should be above the connectors.  Let me know what you think.
Phil

Offline 72bluNblu

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2009 - 02:52:15 AM »
Well if its just the end plates I should be able to work around it. Maybe make a round cut out of the endplate to wrap around the outer edge of the torsion bar anchor so I can cheat that direction a little more, then notch it to clear the oval. Sounds promising anyway!

Did you mean the type of parking brake setup shown below? This is the setup I have, seems to be what my car came with based on the cables at the axle being the same length. In the picture it appears that the cables would run inside of the connectors, and just the cable to the brake itself and the adjustor rod would go above the connectors. They move up and down fairly easy on my car, I don't see why they couldn't sit on the top of the connectors, you'd just have to adjust things right.

Offline femtnmax

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2009 - 11:04:19 PM »
Did you mean the type of parking brake setup shown below?
Yes, that's the set up I have.  I believe you're correct.. some tweeking as necessary but no show stopper.  Thanks for the nice photo.
Phil

Offline 72bluNblu

« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2009 - 01:55:47 AM »
No problem! Isn't my photo either, just picked it up here from another thread about parking brakes awhile back while I was trying to figure out which one I had and how to rig it, my intermediate cable and all the hardware was missing from my car when I bought it.

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2009 - 09:38:57 AM »
Femtnmax, great post! Thanks!
Do you have any pictures of the finished ,assembled product ? I'd like to see how all the brakelines etc fit?
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline femtnmax

« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2009 - 07:37:38 PM »
Femtnmax, great post! Thanks!
Do you have any pictures of the finished ,assembled product ? I'd like to see how all the brakelines etc fit?
I will in a month or so, working the front suspension right now.  At the trany Xmember I plan on adding a double flare splice to the brake and fuel lines, and rerouting them thru other holes in the Xmember.  I MAY have to shorten the parking brake cable.  I"ll go the parts yard and see if a duster cable is any shorter so I won't have to splice the cable.  I'll post pics when I have the tubing installed.  Wish me luck, hope its not the hassle it could be.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009 - 07:44:22 PM by femtnmax »
Phil

Offline Katfish

• Resident
  • 70 Challenger
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2009 - 07:41:20 PM »
Can you post pics of the interior carpet/rear seat area when you finish.  I'm curiuos how noticable it will be?

Offline femtnmax

« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2009 - 07:48:32 PM »
Can you post pics of the interior carpet/rear seat area when you finish.  I'm curiuos how noticable it will be?
I liked the earlier suggestion of filling in each side of the frame connector with high density foam, then the carpet would lay flat.  I have some foam insulation with aluminum foil on each side, it cuts real cleanly and you can stand on it without crushing it.  So I'll try this first.
Maybe also try sheet metal laid over the tops of the connectors, kindof like a second floor over the original first floor.  Any other ideas out there??
Phil

Offline Travis72

« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2009 - 03:47:18 PM »
I plan on filling that area on my Cuda with extra layers of Dynamat style insulation.

Travis
72 Cuda

Offline femtnmax

« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2010 - 09:11:33 PM »
Here's my brake line routing and park brake cables.  For the brake line, was much easier than expected, moved the line outboard under the seat, added a bend or two, and routed line thru existing hole in trany Xmember.  Will do the same for fuel line.
For park brake, the cables route above the subframe connectors, so pushes the cable against bottom of floor more than before.  Adjusted easily and seems to work fine.  Probably not up to factory design standards, but I don't use P-brake much and it does work A-OK.
Phil