Author Topic: Subframe connectors - Scratch built thru the floor  (Read 11599 times)

Offline 'Cuda Hunter

• Sr. Resident
  • Tastes Like Chicken
Re: Subframe connectors - Scratch built thru the floor
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2010 - 09:38:44 PM »
That is pretty slick.
Thanks for the update.
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2010 - 12:12:42 AM »
Thanks for the update! :2thumbs:
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline femtnmax

« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2010 - 11:01:52 AM »
I'll wait to consider relocating the park brake cable until the trany and exhaust are in.
Phil

Offline e-tek

• My website: http://edanneberg.googlepages.com/home
    • E-Tek Resto's
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2010 - 10:47:23 PM »
Just how STIFF does one need an E-body? They weren't done from the factory, even with the 383 or more engines... Jsut asking is all - mine only has a lowly 318 - no need there!!

Offline 72bluNblu

« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2010 - 02:14:10 AM »
Just how STIFF does one need an E-body? They weren't done from the factory, even with the 383 or more engines... Jsut asking is all - mine only has a lowly 318 - no need there!!

You'd be surprised. While it may not be necessary to keep your car rolling down the road, I bet you'd be surprised just how much better the car will handle with them. And the factory was a long time ago. Rust, metal fatigue, and wear and tear mean that these cars flex more now then they did before. A 318 may not pop any of your windows out of place or crack your paint at the seams, but you are giving up handling. I don't have them on my car yet, but I've seen and felt the difference, and its not a small one. Needless to say they are a "must do" for me, and high on the list (even though my car is also 318 powered).

Besides, in an accident, do you really want the weakest part of the car to be where you're sitting?  A lot of things weren't done at the factory, but you have to remember that the biggest key for the factory was dollars, not building the safest, best handling car out there.

These aren't new cars, and there's a lot of room for improvement. Frame connectors, larger brakes, and better tuned suspension are all safety items as far as I'm concerned. The better the car handles, the more likely you are to be able to avoid an accident, or, God forbid, survive one.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010 - 02:26:28 AM by 72bluNblu »

Offline femtnmax

« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2010 - 01:29:01 PM »
Park brake cable routing:  The cable routing I ended up with was just below the floor, and above the frame connectors, in much the same location as Topcat.  He was able to weld in a tube to run the cable thru, but my connectors don't reach to  the floor at this location.  When I added the 3 inch diameter exhaust X-pipe it was able to run below the park brake cable, so all worked out real well.
Phil

Offline 72bluNblu

« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2010 - 10:18:23 PM »
Nice!  :thumbsup:

Thanks for the update!

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2010 - 10:37:35 PM »
Heres the pictures of the tube I welded in. It's Stainless steel. I plan to use an accordian rubber boot at the outlet to keep moisture out where it comes out. Just by luck I stumbled onto one that looks like it'll be a perfect fit.

Mike, Fremont, CA.