Author Topic: Ordered my EFI manifold and fuel rails tonight!!!  (Read 1851 times)

Offline quagmire

• Traction Impaired......
Ordered my EFI manifold and fuel rails tonight!!!
« on: February 12, 2009 - 07:25:43 PM »
I'm not sure where this would be best to post, but I just ordered the new Edelbrock Super Victor EFI small block manifold and fuel rail kit tonight for my conversion.  It should ship tonight.  I just wanted to let anyone interested in or currently doing the conversion that Jegs has a sale right now for about a $100 off for the manifold.  I paid under $400 for the manifold and rail kit shipped.  Just a heads up for you guys.  I'll take pics when I get the goods.  - Dan

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: Ordered my EFI manifold and fuel rails tonight!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009 - 07:36:15 PM »
I used the big block version for the EFI car I converted with a 1200 CFM Accufab T body , worked out great  :2thumbs:

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline quagmire

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009 - 09:57:54 PM »
That's good to hear.  I cannot wait to get this all set up and dialed in.  Carbs just aren't my thing, I'm probably too spoiled from growing up in the EFI era.  I was initially considering getting my current manifold (RPM Air Gap) reworked since it's practically brand new, but it would have cost way more money.  And from what I've heard it is harder to do on a dual plane anyways. 

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
  • My M46 Barracuda! Member Since:October 01, 2005
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009 - 10:06:00 PM »
I will watch your thread for sure.  I want to do the same thing for my car sometime.  Let me know how it goes with your conversion I like the fuel injection more myself.  Guess just worked on too many injection systems and like it more than the carbs.  Gordon
Got a pretty good start on my M46 optioned Barracuda restoration but now it is on hold till I can gather more funds.  Still need a few parts for it.  SIU Graduate 75 AAS Automotive Tech, 94 BS Advanced Tech Studies, 1997 MSED Workforce Education and Development

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009 - 10:28:19 PM »
What web site did you go to?  Just wondered so I could look at it myself.  Thanks Gordon
Got a pretty good start on my M46 optioned Barracuda restoration but now it is on hold till I can gather more funds.  Still need a few parts for it.  SIU Graduate 75 AAS Automotive Tech, 94 BS Advanced Tech Studies, 1997 MSED Workforce Education and Development

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon

Offline quagmire

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2009 - 10:35:00 PM »
Jegs is the one who has it on sale, Edelbrock's website has more detailed info on the parts.

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009 - 12:00:19 AM »
I have looked on the jegs site but did not find the one you ordered for some reason.  My internet is slow today also.  Thanks Gordon

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon

Offline quagmire

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2009 - 12:20:18 AM »
The manifold part number is 350-28155, the rail kit is 350-3641.  You can enter the numbers in the search bar at the top of the home page. :thumbsup:

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2009 - 12:24:38 AM »

Thanks Dan that will help.  Going now to look up the part numbers.  Gordon

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2009 - 09:01:04 AM »
How are you going to do the rest?  The injectors, Distributor and the fuel pump and lines and brain box and wiring for all of it?  Just wondered.  Thanks I did find them.  Gordon

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon

Offline quagmire

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2009 - 11:37:10 AM »
I already have a brand new steel 3/8" feed line that I installed a 6 AN compression fitting on that I've been running for awhile, I will buy a 1/4" steel stock return line and modify it the same way to make it look stock and easy.  My 3/8" sender already has a return line port I plugged so that will be easy too.  From the hard lines to the rails and Aeromotive fuel pressure regulator will be 6 AN braided lines and fittings.  I will splice a high flow EFI pump somewhere along the main line powered by a relay.  I will also be using at least 42 lb/hr injectors. 

As for the ECU, I plan on building a Megasquirt unit for it.  For the money they can't be beat and they have ridiculous amounts of support and modifications available to do anything the more expensive systems can and more.  I will make my own harness for it.  I'm actually helping my brother set up one on his soon to be turboed 04' Tiburon so I should be pretty experienced with it by the time I finish mine.  I have to install it in parallel in a way that all of the emissions systems will be happy and not know we are controlling them, the Challenger will be cake. 

For ignition I'll be using the locked out MSD distributor and coil controlled directly by the Megasquirt ECU for full timing and rev limiting too.  Eventually I plan on going to a wasted spark coil pack system and ditching the distributor.  I'd have to get a trigger wheel installed on my crank pulley and a bracket made for the sensor.  I will cut down an old stock distributor to be used as a plug for the hole in the block. 

Really the only thing I am not decided on is the throttle body to use.  Some of them are crazy expensive and I don't have that kind of money to drop on them.  So I am currently hunting around for one.  I am also trying to find some kind of bulkhead connector to use at the firewall so I can disconnect it right there.  My current wiring harness just goes through a grommet, which will be a PITA when I get the body work and paint done. I figure I will need a connector suitable for about 60 wires, anyone have any ideas?

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2009 - 10:16:04 AM »
That is a great deal for a manifold and rails. I don't see the sale price though.

I get injectors from the junk yards. They are in all sizes for next to nothing.

As far as throttle bodies, I paid as little as $250 for a new 1000 cfm one on ebay.
I also found a $15 used holley 4 bbl type TBI unit at a swap meet. If you get one of these used ones, you can take off the 4 top injectors then use the body for the throttle position sensor, idle air control motor, and vacuum ports. I also saw an internet aticle where someone just took a 4 bbl Holley carb and adapted a TPS to it and blocked off the bowl sections with plates. 

Rob
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline quagmire

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2009 - 11:24:55 AM »
I just rechecked, I think that sale is over unfortunately.  It looks like the manifold is back up to $365.  That's an interesting idea for the TBI throttle body, I wonder how well it'd flow after modifying it. 
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009 - 11:27:06 AM by quagmire »

Offline quagmire

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2009 - 12:03:43 PM »
Ok, I just received the manifold and rails.  Looks real nice, this thing has to be an inch taller than my Air Gap!  Most EFI throttle bodies aren't as tall as carbs so I should be okay. 

Couple quick questions though:

1.  This manifold does not have coolant passages in the rear, only up front.  Will this cause any problems?

2.  The middle intake runners on both sides of the intake are a little larger both in width and height than the outers, I assume this has to do with being able to port match it or something?

I'll post pics once I get them on my computer.

Offline quagmire

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2009 - 02:44:25 PM »
Pics: