Author Topic: Wheel guys! Think these will fit? 17's  (Read 1759 times)

Offline 72bluNblu

Wheel guys! Think these will fit? 17's
« on: February 14, 2009 - 01:52:08 AM »
Ok wheel guys, think these will fit?

They're 17x9, with a 17mm offset, so that'll be about 5.17" of backspace. I know Goody's set up has 5.9" of backspace in the rear with a 7/16" spacer (=5.5" BS) and the stock rear, but his are 18x9...I'd like to use the 17x9's all around, maybe even run the same size tires all around (hey miketyler got 275's to fit up front so why not?), I'm trying to set this thing up for handling.

My set-up is stock in the back, no mods or spring relocates. In the front I have stock spindles at the moment, looking at getting the Magnumforce dropped spindles (shouldn't matter, need to fix the ride height with the 1.12" t-bars) and 11.75" disks. I already have tubular UCA's and LCA's.

I assume I'll need a spacer in the front, somewhere between a 1/2" to 1" right? Anyone see any other issues?

Thanks!  :biggrin:

« Last Edit: February 14, 2009 - 01:58:47 AM by 72bluNblu »

Offline autoxcuda

• Spring Fling
Re: Wheel guys! Think these will fit? 17's
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009 - 05:17:18 AM »
Ok wheel guys, think these will fit?

They're 17x9, with a 17mm offset, so that'll be about 5.17" of backspace. I know Goody's set up has 5.9" of backspace in the rear with a 7/16" spacer (=5.5" BS) and the stock rear, but his are 18x9...I'd like to use the 17x9's all around, maybe even run the same size tires all around (hey miketyler got 275's to fit up front so why not?), I'm trying to set this thing up for handling.

My set-up is stock in the back, no mods or spring relocates. In the frdont I have stock spindles at the moment, looking at getting the Magnumforce dropped spindles (shouldn't matter, need to fix the ride height with the 1.12" t-bars) and 11.75" disks. I already have tubular UCA's and LCA's.

I assume I'll need a spacer in the front, somewhere between a 1/2" to 1" right? Anyone see any other issues?

Thanks!  :biggrin:

Mikey Tyler's has 315's and has a spring reloc. I think there are guys running 275-60-15 without reloc., but many times those cars are sorta raised in the rear.

Shouldn't need spacer in the front with only 5.17 backspacing. Are your upper ball joint the flat or domed style? Need flat style.

Should be be able to fit as much as the same net 5.6" backspace at Clair does here: http://www.moparfins.com/CLAIRDAVIS/Cobra_Wheel.htm He might have some reduced turning radius due to tire to inner frame interference. But the distance from the tire to inner frame rail might be differ for an A-body.

The spindles, upper and lower ball joints and tie rods are all the same part numbers at a 73-74 challenger. ent.

If you run into interference in the front it will be the front lower fender lip.

Looking at Mikey Tyler's post, I think I'd still go with the 5.17 backspace. You could always run a 1/4" spacer. He's running a 1" narrower rim.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009 - 05:22:29 AM by autoxcuda »
Spring Fling XXX
April 22 & 23 2016

at Woodley Park Van Nuys, CA.
Special 30th Anniversary Event!
600+ Mopars, 300+ swappers,  50+ manf. midways.
Thrus: Mopar Track Day at Willow Springs Raceway
Fri: Caravan & Cruise
Sat: Mopar Cruise-In

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009 - 07:29:28 AM »
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline 72bluNblu

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009 - 03:00:56 PM »
Mikey Tyler's has 315's and has a spring reloc. I think there are guys running 275-60-15 without reloc., but many times those cars are sorta raised in the rear.

Shouldn't need spacer in the front with only 5.17 backspacing. Are your upper ball joint the flat or domed style? Need flat style.

Should be be able to fit as much as the same net 5.6" backspace at Clair does here: http://www.moparfins.com/CLAIRDAVIS/Cobra_Wheel.htm He might have some reduced turning radius due to tire to inner frame interference. But the distance from the tire to inner frame rail might be differ for an A-body.

The spindles, upper and lower ball joints and tie rods are all the same part numbers at a 73-74 challenger. ent.

If you run into interference in the front it will be the front lower fender lip.

Looking at Mikey Tyler's post, I think I'd still go with the 5.17 backspace. You could always run a 1/4" spacer. He's running a 1" narrower rim.

Yeah I don't have much choice on the backspace, that's actually the smallest one offered. But looking at that other page gave me quite a bit of hope, that's a really tall tire for an A-body! I might have to use a small spacer, but I don't think it will be a huge deal. My UCA's are CAP tubular models, they have the flat top ball joint, so that shouldn't be an issue with the 17's.

I'm a little confused on the whole offset thing though. I figured 0 offset on a 17x9 would give 4.5" BS, so 17mm offset gives 5.17" BS. The calculator I just started using though lists the 0 offset for the 17x9 at 5", so now I'm at 5.6" BS per the calculator, which means I'd need a spacer in the front and possibly the back too.... :clueless:

On the other hand, when I run Mike's and the A-body's tire combo's compared to the ones I want (say 255/45/17 in front) it gives me the all clear. My concern though is the tie rod clearance looking at that A body, not sure I can get away with the extra rim. Which means I would just need spacers in front, although I could probably get away with a small one and longer studs. The rear will be right there, maybe a small spacer. I guess I should just decide if I want them and run the spacers if I have too...

« Last Edit: February 14, 2009 - 03:28:28 PM by 72bluNblu »

Offline autoxcuda

• Spring Fling
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2009 - 02:46:45 AM »
Yeah I don't have much choice on the backspace, that's actually the smallest one offered. But looking at that other page gave me quite a bit of hope, that's a really tall tire for an A-body! I might have to use a small spacer, but I don't think it will be a huge deal. My UCA's are CAP tubular models, they have the flat top ball joint, so that shouldn't be an issue with the 17's.

I'm a little confused on the whole offset thing though. I figured 0 offset on a 17x9 would give 4.5" BS, so 17mm offset gives 5.17" BS. The calculator I just started using though lists the 0 offset for the 17x9 at 5", so now I'm at 5.6" BS per the calculator, which means I'd need a spacer in the front and possibly the back too.... :clueless:

On the other hand, when I run Mike's and the A-body's tire combo's compared to the ones I want (say 255/45/17 in front) it gives me the all clear. My concern though is the tie rod clearance looking at that A body, not sure I can get away with the extra rim. Which means I would just need spacers in front, although I could probably get away with a small one and longer studs. The rear will be right there, maybe a small spacer. I guess I should just decide if I want them and run the spacers if I have too...

17mm converts to .67" or .7" rounded off. After playing with a bunch of rim calculator and researching the definitions of "rim offset" and "backspacing" I see the difference...

Offset is the distance from the centerline between the rim mounting surfaces.
Backspacing is the distance from the outside edge of the rim. On a steel rim there is the thickness of the metel and the rolled up lip of the steel rim. On a aluminum rim there is less or no lip but the aluminum is thicker.

It seems the companies all assume that distance from the inside rim mounting surface to the out side edge as .5" or 1/2 inch. http://www.bigcustomwheels.com/rt_specs.jsp

Actually that 5.6" is more common and used for late model Mustangs. So it makes sense to find more rims for sale with that backspace/offset. 5.17" backspace in not as common.

Clair's Valiant runs 5.6" backspacing with no tie rod interference.

1//2" spacers in the front should be plenty, if you need them. I think Mike Tyler could run 5 or 5.1" backspacing with his 275/40/17 17x9 rim setup and have .25 of added fender to tire clearance.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2009 - 03:02:50 AM by autoxcuda »
Spring Fling XXX
April 22 & 23 2016

at Woodley Park Van Nuys, CA.
Special 30th Anniversary Event!
600+ Mopars, 300+ swappers,  50+ manf. midways.
Thrus: Mopar Track Day at Willow Springs Raceway
Fri: Caravan & Cruise
Sat: Mopar Cruise-In

Offline 72bluNblu

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009 - 06:17:13 PM »
Thanks!

All the info has been very helpful!  :2thumbs: On another note though, I finally saw some pictures of these rims actually on cars, and I really don't like the look off of the website! The sale page makes them look like they have more dish than they really do, just don't think the look would be right on the Chally. But with all this info on rims, I think fitting a set when I figure out what I want will be a lot easier!  :biggrin: