Am I on the right track on choosing wheels and tires?

Author Topic: Am I on the right track on choosing wheels and tires?  (Read 2001 times)

Offline Ornamental

• Oslo, Norway
Am I on the right track on choosing wheels and tires?
« on: February 14, 2009 - 12:15:44 PM »
I have a Alterktion kit to go on my Chally, but I should have new wheels to go with the new larger brake disks, I'm aiming for 17".
But, what bolt circle, offset, rim width, backspacing should I have to go with the Alterktion?

For the stock rear axle,  5x4 1/2 bolt circle, but what should the rest be?
Like most others, I like wide rear tires, but not to the point where it either rubs against the wheel wells, or have a negative effect on the handling. Trading good handling for good looks is a no-no.

These are the wheels I'm considering, my favorite seems to be the Black Rogue at the left:
http://store.summitracing.com/compare.asp?N=700+400082+4294923105+4294793320+323818+115&Ns=P_Rank|0&autoview=sku

« Last Edit: February 20, 2009 - 01:44:03 PM by Ornamental »
Panther Pink '72 Challenger Rallye.
Grey '70 Challenger R/T

-There are two kinds of pedestrians: The quick and the dead.

***Per Arne***

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: Q about Alterktion and wheels: Which bolt circle, backspacing...
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009 - 09:38:39 PM »
as far as I know it will still use the 5 on 4.5" bolt pattern & same track width as original , brake kits ofr the MustangII spindles should be plentiful no matter what diameter brake you want to use

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline go-fish

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009 - 10:08:59 PM »
So you're asking whether you want to change the bolt pattern on the wilwood hubs? Just put the studs in the 4.5 pattern. (For all who don't know, the Wilwood hubs that come with Alter-K's have several bolt holes drilled for you to chose what bolt pattern you want. It's a Wilwood kit and was designed to be used on a multitude of cars.)

The rear is still 4.5" pattern so it should be a no brainer. When I was doing my suspension and rear end I was realy considering a Chevy bolt pattern because there are more wheel choices. I have the choice on the front because of the Alter K and was going with a Strange rear and could've ordered the axles with any bolt pattern. In the end I decided any of the wheels I wanted could be had in ford/Mopar OR Chevy patterns. I went with 4.5".

I believe the track on the latest Alter-Ks are stock. Mine is older and is 2"wider than stock.

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009 - 09:32:09 AM »
I have a Alterktion kit to go on my Chally, but I should have new wheels to go with the new larger brake disks, I'm aiming for 17".
But, what bolt circle, offset, rim width, backspacing should I have to go with the Alterktion?

Late model Mustang wheels work I have a set temporarily on my car until I order my new ones.
17 x 7 \ 5.5 backspaces I think.
The rear would be stock ebody fitment. There is a lot of wheel info on the rms web site that Bill has posted.

Fish & CP are right; use the 4.5 set of holes if you have the wildwood mustang spindles.
Go Fast & Have Fun...
70 6.1 HEMI 6-speed Drop Top...

Offline kslush

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009 - 05:42:07 AM »
Using an Alterktion front and going with a 17x7 in front with a 4.75 backspace.  I've seen others with it too.  Haven't got it together yet though.

Offline Ornamental

• Oslo, Norway
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009 - 01:38:17 PM »
Thank you all for the replies!

go-fish, how old is your kit?
Replacing the axles with ones that have a Chevy bolt circle would be a little sacreligious, but very practical for getting a wider selection of wheels. :)

I've had repeated problems with loading the RMS site, so I didn't think to check it again. :banghead: 
Seems like a 8" wheel will work up front.

Stock rear end though, which I don't know the limitations of (but I do understand that changing to an Alterktion on the front won't change anything on the rear ;)), but after some searching, I believe that 8.5" width should be fine, but I'm still in the dark about offset, and how much BS I can have. The 18" wheels I'm looking at for the rear have the choice of 6.125 BS and offset at +35.00mm, or 5.750" BS and offset at +25.00mm.
Would any of those be ok?

The gearing is 4.10, so a little height on the rear tires would be good, right?
Rear tires I'm thinking 275/50/18 = 28.8" height.
Front: 245/50/17 = 26.6" height.
Panther Pink '72 Challenger Rallye.
Grey '70 Challenger R/T

-There are two kinds of pedestrians: The quick and the dead.

***Per Arne***

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
Re: Am I on the right track on choosing wheels and tires?
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009 - 02:06:07 PM »
Those numbers look pretty good.  The fronts should be no problem at all.  The rear might be a bit iffy, but a friend of mine has a set of 255/60-17 on his rear, which I believe is a 29" height.  The only question would be the width.