Author Topic: ballancing 360 crate motor  (Read 1815 times)

Offline boydsdodge

• Top end's unlimited....Aaaauuuuugghhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!
    • Boydsdodge
ballancing 360 crate motor
« on: February 15, 2009 - 08:11:31 PM »
What torque convertor or flywheel ballancing with 360 crate motor?
Jackson from Toronto.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: ballancing 360 crate motor
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009 - 09:30:29 PM »
Theoretically the std 360 balance is correct , but my experience with a Mopar Crate is that I would take the engine apart & rebalance the whole thing , it seem the factory doesn`t bother to do this & doesn`t get remotely close either

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline boydsdodge

• Boydsdodge
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009 - 09:51:57 PM »
I recently bought a 68 cuda with a 360 crate passon 4spd, when you get to 65 and up the veiw in the mirrors get so bad that it's like looking out the window of the Enterprise when it hits warp speed.
the vibration is not in the steering wheel but seems to surround you.
So I was thinking that maybe the flywheel was ainternal ballance, but not sure what that would feel like as I have never done a mix up like that.
There is a growly kind of deep vib from when ever but real bad above 65.
So before I go out and start looking it over I wanted to know what flywheel I am looking for?
The car does need just about ever suspension bushing you can think of and I am sure it will need drive line bushings, other then that everything else is new in the drive line.
Jackson from Toronto.

Offline sixpakshaker

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009 - 10:42:09 PM »
360's are external balance with the crank damper and the flywheel or flexplate if automatic. I have run and mixed flywheels and not had problems. But, sounds like you have other issues. Bent rims, drive shaft out of balance, belts gone in tires?

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2009 - 11:06:18 PM »
If the motor has the externally balanced dampner like the production 360's, than it also needs the right weights on the vert or the right aftermarket flexplate or flywheel for a production 360.
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2009 - 11:36:15 PM »
the flywheel will have large holes drilled in the back if it is a balanced flywheel but as I said the one I had did have the balanced flywheel on it & the dash was moving over an inch vertically at 2500 rpm

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2009 - 11:39:16 PM »
 :22yikes:
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2009 - 01:41:10 AM »
Yeah got the GFY warranty as well , 30 day warranty how do you get it shipped installed & running in 30 days  :dunno:

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2009 - 01:45:55 AM »
With extreme difficulty?  :lol:

Offline 73EStroker

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2009 - 10:56:13 AM »
Jackson, you may have other problems as well. Like diff pinion bearings or driveshaft. Best to go through an isolation process first. If it is vibrating that bad I would keep the driving just to testing mode until it is fixed. I would check the balance and u-joints on the driveshaft second. First would be to ensure it is engine problems. This can be done by doing the same RPMS in 3rd gear what 65ish MPH is in 4th gear. If it is a speed related problem then it may not be engine. If it is engine balance then the vibration will occur at the same RPM regardless of what gear you are in.
Barry (Salmon Arm)

Offline boydsdodge

• Boydsdodge
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2009 - 11:14:13 AM »
I am thinking it's a combination of parts causing this, even if they are all new.
The total lack of bushings in the car is a good start.
The trans from Passon has less then 200 on it, the drive shaft was installed with the trans and it's new as well, the rear diff is from Mancini's and it has I believe maybe 3000 miles on it.
I think its after the engine because it surrounds you when it happens but the steering wheel is fine, not completely but nut like the rest of the car.
Can trans do any vibing ? I will get the drive shaft rebalanced when I have it torn down for the bushings.
What is the likelihood of the rear diff causing this?
It's another clear cold day today so I think that I will take it out again and make some notes.
Traffic is light because of the holiday.

Jackson from Toronto.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2009 - 12:35:11 PM »
when you are in the vibration range cruising at say 50 MPH & push in the clutch does the vibration change as the engine drops to idle if so it is the engine causing the problem

Offline oldkimmer

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2009 - 12:50:13 PM »
.............1 way 2 tell if is the engine is to lean over the fender and rev it up then down quickly while ur other hand or ur belly is on the fender while it is reving down u will feel a vibration...............kim..........
The beast has been unleashed........Thems the hazzards..........Unleash the beast......

Offline boydsdodge

• Boydsdodge
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2009 - 05:48:32 PM »
Cool thanks guys, but is there a difference from 360 LA and Magnum on the weight needed to balance?
Jackson from Toronto.

Offline Daves74chally

• "Yea.... I need another new pair of tires"
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2009 - 11:10:21 PM »
At least you dont have my problem, Did a stroker on my 360, had in internally balanced. Though I could get away with knocking the weights on the torque converter like my engines teacher said. At about 2000-2500rpms it makes me cry on how much it vibrates.  So I ordered a new torque converter from tci and should be in the chally this week. Hope it solves the problem. 
1974 Dodge Challenger 414 stroker, 727 trans, 8 3/4 posi [OO/`````\OO]

Buffalo, NY