Author Topic: My dog has testicular cancer  (Read 1347 times)

Offline Ghost

• Resident
  • I miss my Barracuda :(
My dog has testicular cancer
« on: February 16, 2009 - 10:15:38 PM »
He turned 11 years old back in October, and the last year, he's had more than a few medical issues, such as numerous growths on his body.  Today, I found out there's a good chance he's got testicular cancer.  He's going under the knife on Thursday.  Hopefully, they'll be able to remove it, and hopefully, it hasn't spread anywhere else.  I've had him since I was 12 years old, and he's more than a pet, he's a member of my family.

Offline wiiildcat

Re: My dog has testicular cancer
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009 - 05:32:18 AM »
Best of luck to you and your friend.

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009 - 06:52:49 AM »

Sorry to hear about your dog Ghost. I lost my best mate (12 year old Huntaway) farm breed/working dog last year. 8 October 08. (8/10/8). Sucks for sure. Something to hopefully cheer you up, he also had cancer in his lung/throat area. They removed it successfully but said there is never any guarantee of removing it all. The good part, he lasted 3 years after removing it before it reached his brain and he started having seizures etc. Strong dog with good love and your dog will be fine bud, think positive and keep the faith. At 11 years of age with 2-3 more years that is a good long life a for any dog.

We were asked at the time he had it removed if we wanted to do the whole kemotherapy thing but we rejected it. I would suggest doing the same. Any vet will tell you it's a huge strain on the dog, expensive (albeit not a concern when they're part of the family) and it will never cure it, just prolong it IF it works at all. Plus the poor dog has to go in every 2-3 months. The vets I spoke to said they've removed most of it and if anything is left to just move on and give him the best years of his life. Just make sure the last 2 to 3 years of his life are full of love and make them the best days ever, he can't ask for any more than that. Keep us posted.

:wave:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline elitecustombody

• Supra collector
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009 - 09:35:45 AM »
Sorry to hear that, 3 years ago I had to bury my buddy Misha, I had him as a shop dog for 13 years ,fullblooded black Chow-Chow. In September last year I had to put down Two-Do,my 5 year old fullblooded Bullmastiff, cancer was shutting down his lower body,the vet said there is no chance he would survive the treatment,it sucks, he was a gorgeous dog, I miss them both
Stefan B

Elite Custom Body = AMD Sheetmetal & Glass at great prices !!

Don't do what's easy, do what's right!!

Offline pink panther

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009 - 09:48:16 AM »
sorry to hear that Ghost, hope everything goes well for your pal.
Scott   -  Member since 9/18/2005

Offline 71bigblock

• Sr. Resident
    • Steve's Mopars
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009 - 10:10:02 AM »
Thats a real bummer, man.  Hope all goes well, too.

Ok, I dont want to turn this thread around, and I apologize if I do, but what is going on?  I mean, why is everyone's dog getting cancer?  What are we feeding them/exposing them to that we shouldnt be?  Our last two dogs lived perfectly normal, long, healthy lives, all off of fresh, warm cow milk.  Their deaths were unrelated to health.  They didnt get any toys, or much dogfood, they just got leftover meat. 

Its really too bad to hear these stories, I hate to see any animal suffer.   :-\

Offline ViperMan

• Resident
  • 2017 Carlisle or BUST...
    • JS Custom Cars
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009 - 11:13:55 AM »
I have two cats that are just awesome animals - their personalities are so unique and they're both hilarious.  I know that when the day comes that I have to part with them, it will absolutely crush me.

Good luck to your pup.  Hope all goes well.
2000 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe - 8.0L V10, 6-Speed Tremec
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - Trail Rated - 4.7L V8, Auto
2010 Dodge Challenger SE Rallye - 3.5L V6, Auto (Wife's!)

Offline AprilsPink72Cuda

• Global Moderator
  • Resident
  • 1972 'Cuda 340/Wappingers Falls, NY
    • Klondike's Website (Check it out!)
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009 - 08:11:28 PM »
I will keep your pup in my prayers Ghost.  I know how you must be feeling right now.  My dogs are the most important thing in my life, so I understand that they are your family.  Hopefully this can be taken care of by neutering him. 

As far as chemo goes for dogs, they do take it much much better than humans do.  A few of my clients at my kennel are on chemo and you would never know.  One even takes it in a pill form. 

I sure hope everthing works out just fine and you get to spend a few more quality years with your special friend!

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2009 - 08:40:12 PM »
Hope the results turn out for the best on him Ghost.
We've had black labs all my life in our family. Yes, they really are part of the family. They go with us everywhere we go just about.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline heminut

• Resident
  • owner of the poor man's Hemi Cuda
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2009 - 09:46:49 AM »
Ghost, I'm really sorry to hear about your dog. I had a german shepherd that got a mammary tumor. I had surgery done on her, and the vet removed it but said it was pretty big and could come back, or show up somewhere else. A couple of months later a tumor showed up on her hind leg and the vet said the cancer was probably all through her. It was heartbreaking but there wasn't really anything that could be done for her, fortunately she didn't seem to be in any pain. I spent as much time as I could with her, and a couple of weeks later she died in her sleep one afternoon. My wife asked me if I wanted to get another shepherd and I told her no, I wasn't ready. Two years later my pastor's shepherd had a litter of pups and he gave me one for Christmas! I've never bought a dog, they have always come to me in other ways.
1970 5.7 Hemi Cuda

Offline whitesatinmopar

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 3/30/02
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2009 - 10:26:18 AM »
Good luck with this Ghost and hang tough buddy, our pets are not just like family, they ARE family. You have had him for a good long while and if things happen to not get better you at least have the satifaction of knowing you are doing all you can to help him out. And somehow he knows it too.  :wave:
1969 Polara 500 vert.
1970 Charger 500
1971 Dart Swinger
1972 R/R 440+6 (wanabe)
1973 Challenger

Offline cudadave72

• you motorboatin sob!!!
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2009 - 10:01:00 PM »
Sorry to hear that. Hope all turns out well. Just this past Saturday we had to take our 12 year old English Bulldog to the emegency Vet cause she had a stroke. Its a big wake up call of how important our pets are!! Amazingly she is doing much better in just a few days. Hope the same for you!
1972 BS23 H code Cuda, B5 blue, 340 streched to 416 cu in, 727 w/ 8 3/4 rear, 7.23 in the 1/8 mile and 11.38@117mph in the 1/4 on drag radials   Under restoration! Coming soon... 440cuin R3 Indy SMALL BLOCK monster!!!!

Offline jims challenger

• 1970 DODGE CHALLENGER
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2009 - 10:10:19 PM »
I just spent about $900 on my dog over the last month, he is my baby, and yes, a part of my family. I feel your pain, I hope all goes well....
Jim
Life can be Challenging

Offline Ghost

• Resident
  • I miss my Barracuda :(
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2009 - 01:30:11 AM »
Shadow came through surgery fine, and is resting comfortably at the Vets office.  We'll be able to take him home tomorrow afternoon.  I have tomorrow off, so I plan on spending alot of time with him.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009 - 01:31:46 AM by Ghost »

Offline wiiildcat

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2009 - 06:20:19 AM »
GREAT NEWS!!!! Now time to spoil him for a fews days huh?  :smilielol: