Author Topic: I'm a little slow with carburetors so I need help  (Read 3102 times)

Offline acudanut

Re: I'm a little slow with carburetors so I need help
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2009 - 09:23:34 PM »
As Chryco was saying, you need to match the metering rod springs to your manifold vacuum. They are easy to access and your tuning manual explains it clearly. With the low vacuum (which could be caused by a number of things) the metering rods will be up and making the mixture very rich.

Also if the throttle is open too far at idle you are not on the idle circuits at all. Which is why adjusting the idle has no effect.

There is no reason why this carb could not be made to work very well on this engine as long as the right manifold is used.
Although this could be true, keep it simple.
Doc, just get rid of the spacer and try that.  Don't get overwhelmed here with different ideas and formulas.  BTW go equine and just get rid off these Anthelmintic and Boticide.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009 - 09:26:50 PM by acudanut »

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2009 - 09:35:42 PM »
Zimecterin!  :2thumbs:
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

Offline ryanb73

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2009 - 02:09:26 AM »
 :roflsmiley:  Funny you should mention that, I was just got my first parasitology exam back this morning.  Ivermectin (Zimecterin) doesn't cure all parasites, but it's close.  On our exams when they show you a parasite and ask what kills it, Ivermectin is a pretty good guess if you have no idea.  I will give pulling the adapter out a try first, especially since if that works, no need to spend $20 on another intake gasket set.  I don't know if will get a chance to do it this weekend or not.  I have exams in Anesthesia and Public Health next week, so that may take priority.  I will let you guys know how losing the adapter turns out.

Offline acudanut

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2009 - 07:00:08 PM »
  Keep us Posted.
All they have around here is Ivermectin paste 1.87. 

Offline dwbiggs

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2009 - 03:23:53 PM »
Seriously, you should use a Holley 750

No wiser words have been uttered.  :2thumbs: :stirpot:

1974 Challenger Rallye - 440+.040, 0 decked, 10.5:1, Ross Pistons, Hughes 3844 cam (238/244, .536/.540), Eddy RPM manifold, Eddy aluminum heads, Holley 750, TTI headers, .96" T-bars, IAS shocks, 1 1/8" front sway bar, 3/4" rear sway bar, XHD 6 leaf springs, Firm Feel stage 2 steering box.

Offline elevenssc

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2009 - 07:59:36 PM »
Another two cents...

I'm very familiar with Holley carbs, and not too familiar with brand "E".  If you were runnin a Holley, I'd say make sure your float levels are correct.  Running high fuel levels in the bowls will cause it to run rich too...  Can you adjust the fuel level in the "big E"?  If so, double check it is correct...

Offline acudanut

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2009 - 09:51:23 PM »
 Holley's 750 is so dang good, that Demon carbs copied it and made it look more aroedynamic (sorry no spell check here). Then Demon wants 3 times the price.  :stirpot:

Offline moper

• Resident
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2009 - 12:09:15 PM »
Also for parasites, you want to rotate the agents... I forget the other names, but we bought three different ones and alternated them (wormer for the horses).

Offline acudanut

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2009 - 08:23:06 PM »
 Hey Doc, All they have around here is Ivermectin paste 1.87.  Good or Bad ??

Offline ryanb73

« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2009 - 03:55:22 AM »
For the Ivermectin, 1.87% should be pretty good for the common things in horses like bloodworms (strongyles), bots (gastrophilus), and roundworms (ascarids), but of course you should always consult your veterinarian before medicating any pet  :bigsmile:, especially since I am still just a vet student.  Zimecterin  (not Zimecterin Gold though) actually has 1.87% ivermectin as the active ingredient, and it really is worth the money to talk to a vet about setting up a parasite control program for your horse.  They can make sure you are covered for whatever parasites you may have in your area and set up the right timing.  That way you don't end up buying and giving things you don't need or using too much of it by using it too often. 

About the Holley 750 idea: has anyone run a holley squarebore on a spreadbore manifold?  Also, Summit has their brand 750 with an electric choke for $235 right now and they look just like a Holley to me.  Anyone know anything about those carbs or running one on a spreadbore manifold? 

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2009 - 11:09:00 AM »
some manifolds are universal fit to allow both square & spread bore , if it is a dedicated spread bore intake you will need an adapter plate to run a square bore

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline ryanb73

« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2009 - 09:34:54 PM »
I removed the adapter plate, and sure enough, it fit just fine without it.  Now it seems to idle smoother and I was able to drop the idle back down to where it should be.  Now when I close the idle mixture screws all the way it dies like it should so I think I am now back to idling on the idle circuit.  I didn't have time to hook up the vacuum gauge or drive it, but spring break is in two weeks and I have lots of projects for it then so we will see.  Big thanks to all who helped!  Simple problem, but those seem to be the ones I always overlook!
Thanks again,
Ryan

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2009 - 09:39:33 PM »
PARTY TIME :bananasmi :woohoo:

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2009 - 12:12:37 AM »
 :2thumbs:

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2009 - 12:52:52 AM »
You're welcome  :2thumbs:
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!