Author Topic: Just gotta vent!!!  (Read 1328 times)

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
Re: Just gotta vent!!!
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2009 - 06:58:31 AM »
My company`s work has also been sent to China and we are hurting.Everyone is quick to blame Walmart but they are no worse than anywhere else these days,they do have plenty of products made here you just need to know which brands to look for.Anyone buy stuff from Harbor Freight?A good % of thier product is made overseas.
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline plumcrazy704406

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2009 - 09:15:48 AM »
I buy at walmart on occassions.  Says delmonte, libby,green giant, holsom, wonder, bama jelly, jimmy dean, and other labels like borden, kraft and such. Are these china brands?  I buy my food where ever I can find a bargain. 

I dont buy furniture there, and no kids, so no toys either

sorry, not implying everything there is offshore, eg: but i was surprised to find a bag of garlic we purchased there was from china. i would guess if someone did the numbers, you may find up to 75% of product line is offshore. anyone have the numbers? my groceries generally come from a grocery store, my produce from the farms we come across on our weekend drives or a local farmers market. as greg said, i would rather pay a little more, support the local economy, and get far better quality. i guess i really am crazy.

:bigsmile:

:canada:
This thought may not be politically correct, but is an opinion offered. It may be correct? or it may be wrong? It is not designed to appease those needing shelter from the real world.

Offline 340Challman

• 70 Challenger B5 A66 4 spd
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2009 - 10:09:52 AM »
My wife and I are very picky about what we buy and where it comes from. If it is not food we try to buy American or Canadian and even european, but if you really look at what is available 90% of things come from China or Asia.
Food, we will not buy anything if it comes from China :nono:  With what we know about China's don't give a sh!t attitude when it comes to safety and health, no way am I going to eat that crap. :puke:
Don't look back, I might be gaining on you.
        ___               ___
             ]            [

Offline priderocks

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2009 - 08:32:59 PM »
Given what you know about the world today, what would you tell your kids? I tell my kids to get a government job. The stress of getting laid off, your job outsourced, your company going overseas is huge. For someone entering the workforce today, they need to give thought to their choice of professions very carefully. Otherwise, what seems like a good job today may tomorrow be done overseas. This is not our parents world. I don't blame management. They deal with economic forces today that their predecessors did not even envision.

Offline plumcrazy704406

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2009 - 09:01:28 PM »
Given what you know about the world today, what would you tell your kids? I tell my kids to get a government job. The stress of getting laid off, your job outsourced, your company going overseas is huge. For someone entering the workforce today, they need to give thought to their choice of professions very carefully. Otherwise, what seems like a good job today may tomorrow be done overseas. This is not our parents world. I don't blame management. They deal with economic forces today that their predecessors did not even envision.

4 kids, one out in the world, 2 in university(one going for med), one going next year, and we often think and discuss if we as the oldies had to do it all again, we would be plumbers or electricians. most people can't do either and need to hire someone to do it for them. Heck we do all the minor repairs as it is, but have to hire a real plumber or electrician every so often. 24-7 business is there if you wish. not knocking any other trades, but its shocking most can't fix crap!

:poopoke:
This thought may not be politically correct, but is an opinion offered. It may be correct? or it may be wrong? It is not designed to appease those needing shelter from the real world.

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2009 - 09:32:22 PM »
This is not our parents world. I don't blame management. They deal with economic forces today that their predecessors did not even envision.

In some cases that's correct, but in some failure is self inflicted. I'll give you another example of what the company I worked for did. Their best salesman quit when the President of the company hired one of his 'friends' for more $$$ than he made. The guy worked there 2 years and never made a single sale. Meanwhile the guy who left took all his customers to his new company with him. A direct competitor of ours.
30% of the work the company had disappeared.
Maybe because he knew what we charge for every job and just underbid us on everything? DUH? Did the company then relent and and try to get him back? NO. That's just managerial failure. The owners son who was running the place refused to admit he totally screwed up when everybody there (300 people) all knew that he did. He took a company that made 32 Million one year in the 80's and lost 1 Million the year before I got the axe along with half the workforce. He makes Jeffery Imelt look like Executive of the year.   
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2009 - 09:07:00 PM »
Seems maybe we are reaping what we sowed? Honour and integrity seem to be a rare thing in our culture so it seems???
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0