Author Topic: Just gotta vent!!!  (Read 1332 times)

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
Just gotta vent!!!
« on: February 20, 2009 - 06:46:46 PM »
I've been laid off since last March but keep getting called back a month here and there. Today I get a call saying they are making it a permanent lay off! I worked at a Automation Company in town that did all automotive as a machinist. Say no more....
The foreman who hired me quit about 8 months ago so this new guy who doesn't know me from a hole in the ground says when I ask him why me? He said it's because you make too much , we have apprentices that make half what you do and we will be sending most of the work to our new shop in Mexico so the apprentices can handle the rest!! :villagers:
How do ya like them apples!!!  So I help train them so I can be replaced and then so they can send my job to Mexico???? Nice, real nice!!!
Every time they send work to Mexico it comes back all screwed up and we have to make about 80% of the parts again???
Here's a suggestion, how about passing a law that makes the big 3 put 10 year  150 mile bumper top bumper warranties on there product  so they will quit building crap that is planned to wear out just as the warranty is up,and telling the rest they either can get out or pay large tariffs on the slave labour from foreign countries!!!
Sorry I'm sure there is more to it but I had to vent!!! This is the second time this  has happened to me in 5 years!
Gotta love this economy......
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline boydsdodge

• Top end's unlimited....Aaaauuuuugghhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!
    • Boydsdodge
Re: Just gotta vent!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009 - 06:59:54 PM »
Man your not having a good month, I am real bummed to hear it.
We have had recesions before.
Jackson from Toronto.

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009 - 07:21:21 PM »
Ya you know the old saying if it don't kill ya it will make ya stronger....
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009 - 07:03:43 AM by brads70 »
Brad
Barrie,Ontario,Canada

My restoration thread 
 My handling upgrade post

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009 - 07:27:07 PM »
Ya you know the old saying if it don't kill ya it will make ay stronger....

Be strong my friend,  wish you the best

Offline 71fish

• Bless you..
    • Ken's 71fish
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009 - 07:33:49 PM »
Brad - I feel for ya. My job / dept was outsourced to Bangalore, India. We'll have to have a drink sometime.  lol
71fish - Nobody better than an E-BODY!!

Offline 340Challman

• 70 Challenger B5 A66 4 spd
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009 - 08:05:04 PM »
The whole damn country is out sourced! The only thing made here anymore is Bullsh!t and that all comes out of Washington! :2cents:
Don't look back, I might be gaining on you.
        ___               ___
             ]            [

Offline moparmaniac59

• Resident
  • Drive it like ya stole it!
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009 - 08:17:10 PM »
Sorry to hear that Brad. That really stinks. :swear: I was once an apprentice some 25 years ago and the older guys were afraid to teach the younger guys the "tricks" of the trade for fear that they would be replaced. Now the older guys are gone and took a lot of the real skill with them. It's really too bad and like you said in your own experience, the fear was really valid!! I am a marine machinist by trade and my brother is an excellent machinist. He's had some 12 jobs in about 15 years partly his fault, but for the most part it was plant closings and layoffs for reasons like you said. It stinks bad. I wish you were in my area (Virginia) as there are some opening for machinists with the Navy. I hope things turn around for you. I know a good machinist is hard to find & can usually command good money. Too many hammer mechanics out there. Good skill when seen is usually (I said usually) a quality that companies look for and pay well to keep. You can pay me now or pay me later. Can you say stupid?? It seems too many companies pay twice to have jobs re-done. Some have learned. I hope you find a good company with good benefits! :money:

Matt B.
Matt

Offline grimmey71

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2009 - 08:23:07 PM »
Sorry to hear about your job.  living in Detroit I may be a little biased, but i am so sick of the outsourcing and whatever is not outsourced has so many goverment regulations on it, it may have well been.  There was a time aroung here(not to long ago) that you would be an oddball for driving an import.  now imports are made here and our cars are made elsewhere. 

Offline plumcrazy704406

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2009 - 08:59:04 PM »
The whole damn country is out sourced! The only thing made here anymore is Bullsh!t and that all comes out of Washington! :2cents:

isn't it capitalism?

if your lining up at wallyworld to buy, your getting the end result!

so, who buy's at wallmart? Me, rarely, and only as a last resort! cheap! nasty! & disgusting!
This thought may not be politically correct, but is an opinion offered. It may be correct? or it may be wrong? It is not designed to appease those needing shelter from the real world.

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2009 - 09:06:23 PM »
I buy at walmart on occassions.  Says delmonte, libby,green giant, holsom, wonder, bama jelly, jimmy dean, and other labels like borden, kraft and such. Are these china brands?  I buy my food where ever I can find a bargain. 

I dont buy furniture there, and no kids, so no toys either

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2009 - 09:22:21 PM »
I worked for the same company for 24 years and got layed off after 9/11. They put the guy that I trained in my position. A few years later I saw a job that exactly matched my skills and applied on career builder. Came to find out the guy that took my job couldn't hack it and they went outside to find somebody else, and thus payed out their noses to steal somebody from another company. I recently heard from another contact on Career builder that they just had another big layoff. I did 7 different jobs there and shed more of my blood on the floor than anybody else, and never once bad mouthed them on the shop floor like 90% of the people they chose to keep did every day. I want almost 10 years without a raise in the 90's and didn't complain. That's why I work for myself and a few close friends now. Industry hasn't tanked in America because of the workforce. It's the management that's clueless. Look at the car companies and GE. There are no Lee Iacocca's anymore.  :grinno: 

In retrospect I'm glad it happened. At least I had most of my retirement fund left. The poor bastards that have lots of time in there now (the few that are left) must have lost 75% of it with the market the way it is because it's tied right to the stock market. 9/11 cost me 25% of mine.  They'll kick them all out the door when the opportunity arises at the worst possible time. They have too much vacation time.   
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

Offline boydsdodge

• Top end's unlimited....Aaaauuuuugghhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!
    • Boydsdodge
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2009 - 10:14:40 PM »
Hey brad, what area are you in?
Newport Motors has just moved to Shelburne Ont and he might need some help. It's full service Engine machine shop.
Jackson from Toronto.

Offline NoMope Greg

• Resident
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2009 - 10:39:40 PM »
isn't it capitalism?

if your lining up at wallyworld to buy, your getting the end result!

so, who buy's at wallmart? Me, rarely, and only as a last resort! cheap! nasty! & disgusting!

:iagree: Right there with you.  After too many years of having cheap stuff break or fail to do the job, I've learned the value of the old saying "You get what you pay for."
Greg
2003 Ford Escape XLS
Currently Mopar-less :(

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2009 - 11:22:05 PM »
Thanks for all the encouragement! Ya I too hate Walmart ( Chinamart!!) and avoid it like the plague. I'm in Barrie, Shelbourn is quite a commute from here but thanks! I have a Bridgeport  mill , lathe tig mig bandsaw and tons of other stuff in my Garage. The stock car crowd has given me some work , but everyone is in the same boat it seems money is tight! I have an friend that build race engines here in Barrie and he sends me some work when he can but he is struggling too!
Brad
Barrie,Ontario,Canada

My restoration thread 
 My handling upgrade post

Offline Ornamental

• Oslo, Norway
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2009 - 11:59:22 PM »
Sad to hear about your job.
I have to wonder, if the jobs are continuously being outsourced, who will have the economy to buy stuff later on? I fear this trend is pushing USA in the direction of a third world country...
Panther Pink '72 Challenger Rallye.
Grey '70 Challenger R/T

-There are two kinds of pedestrians: The quick and the dead.

***Per Arne***