Old gas

Author Topic: Old gas  (Read 672 times)

Offline burnt orange

Old gas
« on: February 22, 2009 - 12:43:57 AM »
Well, I put in the new battery, splashed a 1/8 cup of gas into the carb, grabbed the fire extinguisher and turned the key.  Turned over twice and started..........for the first time in 5 years!  Ran like a can full of rocks with lots of smoke. but kept running - sort of.

The problem is that the gas tank is 3/4 full of 5 year old gas.  At least I had enough brains to have poured a botthe of gas stabilizer into it way back then.

My problem now is what do I do with the old gas and how do I clean it out of the fuel lines, pump etc.?  Or, do I have to?  I have heard wonderful things about PRI-G.  Any comments?
< ° ) ) >< 

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
Re: Old gas
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009 - 04:44:40 AM »
I`d just empty the tank, fill it up with fresh gas and rock`n`roll...
*** Bart ***

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009 - 06:48:56 AM »
I`d just empty the tank, fill it up with fresh gas and rock`n`roll...

:iagree:

The stabilizer stuff says it last for 2-3 years, so I would throw out the 5 year old gas. Hopefully varnish hasn't developed in the fuel lines, but I wouldn't replace them just yet. You might get luck here. The carb might be another issue. I would imagine you have some dried out gaskets and such.

Mike
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009 - 06:52:59 AM by MEK-Dangerfield »

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline vinb

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009 - 12:15:14 PM »
Sounds like you have a lot of extra fuel for your lawn mower & snow blower..

I definitely would put fresh fuel in and don't forget to blow out the lines and change the filter...

Offline priderocks

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009 - 04:12:34 PM »
In our town, the local water treatment facility will take old gasoline.

Offline duodec

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009 - 01:47:48 AM »
If you have cans you can drain the old gas into (filter while you do it) and if its not too clouded or full of rust, you can re-add it in small quantities to fresh gas to use it  up.  If its leaded, don't use it in a new vehicle, obviously.  The last recommendation I had was it would be safe to cut it at about 4 or 5 to one with new gas.  Or as others have mentioned, use it in a gas engined tool, but you should still blend it with new gas and filter before use.