Author Topic: Kevko oil pans?  (Read 14716 times)

Offline 72bluNblu

Kevko oil pans?
« on: February 24, 2009 - 03:11:30 AM »
Anyone used one/heard anything about them? I'm planning on running a high volume oil pump on my 340 when I get it into my Challenger and would like to increase the pan volume a little, but I don't want to compromise ground clearance a ton and I really just don't need an 8 qt. The Kevko 6 qt (M301) seems like a good deal for the price, but I'm a little worried about the clearance at the rear of the pan based on the pictures. I wrote them but am still waiting to hear back so I thought I'd ask if anyone had any experiences...

Link        http://www.kevkoracing.com/mopar.htm

pic

Offline Aussie Challenger

• Resident
  • In Kansas loaded for Drive to West Coast.
Re: Kevko oil pans?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009 - 03:58:35 AM »
  Looks like it will hit the drag link, you need a centre pick-up & pan, that looks like a rear one out of a truck.
Dave

Offline 72bluNblu

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009 - 04:56:51 AM »
Its a center sump, they've just added that angle piece on the back which makes it look a little like a rear sump. The truck pans they offer are decidedly different. I've seen this pan used on an a-body, just not an E. The center link is my concern too though...

Offline 408cuda

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009 - 02:28:06 PM »
I have got that oilpan under mine new 408 engine from Blueprintengines.com. The engine is in de car right now (73 barracuda) and there are no problems with the clearance at the rear so far.
1973 Plymouth Barracuda 408

Offline 72bluNblu

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009 - 03:07:41 PM »
I have got that oilpan under mine new 408 engine from Blueprintengines.com. The engine is in de car right now (73 barracuda) and there are no problems with the clearance at the rear so far.

Awesome! That's what I wanted to know. ;D. Like I mentioned I know its been on A-bodies, but yours is the first e-body use I've seen. Thanks for the help!  :2thumbs:

Offline the_engineers

• Resident
  • Cheap, fast, reliable...pick 2
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009 - 03:47:22 PM »
I bought Milodon's 30941 (360).  Only 3/4" deeper than stock.  340 P/N would be 30936.
Brooks

1971 'Cuda 360
2004 Infiniti G35 6-spd Coupe
2001 Toyota Solara Convertible
2002 GMC Savana 1500 Explorer Hightop Conversion
1972 Dodge Dart Swinger...keeping the Slant.  Rocking the turbos.

Offline 72bluNblu

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009 - 06:26:43 PM »
I bought Milodon's 30941 (360).  Only 3/4" deeper than stock.  340 P/N would be 30936.

I looked at that one too! At $300 though it seems pretty expensive, and its not compatible with a windage tray. The Kevko costs almost half as much and is compatible with a windage tray, although it also has a crank scraper so the windage tray probably isn't needed. I don't mind spending more for quality parts, but so far everyone that has the Kevko has been happy with it, and the extra 2 quarts should keep the HV oil pump happy.

Offline IMNCARN82

• Resident
  • LeDZeP
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2009 - 08:58:29 PM »
My Milodon factory replacement oil pan fits terrible. Not even close. I was going to try Moroso?   
'73 340 5 speed,RMS,BAER,... "Supercuda" (O[   ]||||[   ]O)  
'69 Dodge Charger 383,Auto                  (OiiiiiiiiiiIiiiiiiiiiiO)
13' Challenger R/T BlacktoP  6spd. (OO________OO)
71' Demon
75' Duster
87' Conquest TSI
56' Plaza
Boulder CO
Robert    "cuda bob"

Offline 72bluNblu

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2009 - 10:07:25 PM »
Interesting. Haven't heard about any fit issues with them before. Looks like Moroso only makes a deep sump 8 qt pan, and with my car soon to be lowered in the front I'm not sure I'll have the ground clearance to give up.

I think I'm going to go with the Kevko pan unless something else comes up, seems like a good compromise between capacity, clearance and price...

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2009 - 10:34:18 PM »
seems like a good compromise between capacity, clearance and price...

These are the key points of the Kevco pan. They aren't the greatest, but they are reasonably performance oriented for a  reasonable price. The scraper is kind of inadequate, the pan isn't quite deep enough, the sump isn't wide enough for large volume, and there are only two gates in it, so it isn't a world beating road race pan, but it is loads better than stock and will handle corners better than a deep sump moroso.

Offline 72bluNblu

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2009 - 10:49:24 PM »
These are the key points of the Kevco pan. They aren't the greatest, but they are reasonably performance oriented for a  reasonable price. The scraper is kind of inadequate, the pan isn't quite deep enough, the sump isn't wide enough for large volume, and there are only two gates in it, so it isn't a world beating road race pan, but it is loads better than stock and will handle corners better than a deep sump moroso.

Now that sounds like good info! So with the scraper not being that great would I be better off running the windage tray for the 340? And in your opinion what are the better pans? I'm not looking for a "world beating race pan", my car is mostly set up to be an aggressive handling street car. One of these days I'd like to get it out to a road-track or at least do some autoX with it, but its not going to be a race car.

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2009 - 11:10:05 PM »
Not sure about the windage tray as there are two schools of thought, 1) get the oil away from the crank at all costs, which a windage tray doesn't easily allow, 2) give the oil a route to get away but not allow vacuum of the spinning crank to suck up the sump, which a tray does very well. I'm sure someone with more firsthand knowledge could chime in on which results are better

Kevco's scraper does catch some oil and is good at routing it back to the sump, but a true crank scrapper has to be custom fit to the contours of the crank.

Better pans are made by Canton, Charlies, and Hamburger but they pricey fast.

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2009 - 12:20:05 AM »
I got the Stef's aluminum pan for my 416. Came with all the hardware, the pickup, magnetic drainplug and it has a trap door and teflon windage tray built-in. Fit like a glove. No regrets.

Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

Offline vinb

• Resident
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2009 - 04:11:14 PM »
Stef's makes really a nice pan...
Are they still in Lakewood N.J. ???

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2009 - 05:37:29 PM »
Yep. About 25 miles from my home. Made in the USA. :2thumbs: I've made quite a few aluminum pans for race cars but for the money it cost I didn't wanna bother. It was like $379 when I bought it a few years back.
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!