Author Topic: Kevko oil pans?  (Read 14722 times)

Offline vinb

• Resident
Re: Kevko oil pans?
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2009 - 08:44:39 PM »
Jesel, Manley, SLP & Stef's are about 5 miles from me..

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2009 - 09:51:45 PM »
Where you from?
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

Offline EFI-Cuda

• 1974 Cuda 408
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2009 - 05:06:24 AM »
I also have a Kevko oil pan in my 1974 Cuda's 408.  I love the pan.  I also got there oil pump pick up which looks like it flows better than the stock pickup, and that can't hurt the HV oil pump at all.  I also had no problems with fit. 
Cuda 408, Ford EFI, Magnum heads, Vortech V-2 Si-Trim, A-518 transmission and 3.23 gears.

Offline 72bluNblu

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2009 - 03:21:13 PM »
I also have a Kevko oil pan in my 1974 Cuda's 408.  I love the pan.  I also got there oil pump pick up which looks like it flows better than the stock pickup, and that can't hurt the HV oil pump at all.  I also had no problems with fit.

Thanks EFI-Cuda! The pics look really good, glad to hear of someone else that doesn't have fit issues. I'm sure that there are better pans out there, there's always something better if you can afford it. But it seems like the Kevko is a big improvement over stock without the expense of a custom pan.

Offline EFI-Cuda

• 1974 Cuda 408
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2009 - 05:14:37 PM »
One additional point about the Kevko oil pan is that it doesn't hang much lower than the stock K-member.  In fact, it might hang exactly as low as the stock k-member, but I haven't taken any measurements.  I think this is a plus because I always worried about low hanging oil pans and the increased chance of pan damage if you hit something by accident in the street.

After building my 408, I read that using a stock oil pan could cost you as much as 40 HP because the crank would be spinning in the oil.  The Kevko pan is suppose to offer the extra clearance neccessary to avoid this plus it holds an additional quart of oil.  I think it was well worth the money.
Cuda 408, Ford EFI, Magnum heads, Vortech V-2 Si-Trim, A-518 transmission and 3.23 gears.

Offline moparmaniac59

• Resident
  • Drive it like ya stole it!
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2009 - 09:07:53 PM »
Hope you don't mind me asking a question here on your thread since it's about oil pans. When using a deep sump pan, do you need a different dipstick for the deep sump?? Also I just bought a 440 Source 7 Qt aluminum deep sump pan. Looks like nice quality. I too was concerned with ground clearance. Anybody have any experience using their pans?? The Kevco looks like a good pan! :2thumbs:

Matt B.
Matt

Offline vinb

• Resident
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2009 - 10:15:38 PM »

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2009 - 01:04:59 AM »
You must be Italian.  :lol:
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

Offline 72bluNblu

« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2009 - 12:41:14 AM »
Got the pan! Came in a couple days ago. Looks pretty cool, some interesting baffles/doors in it. The oil level plug looks a little wonky, maybe got mig'ed in a little crooked. No biggie though, only use it once to figure out where to put the mark on the dipstick anyway. Looks like a pretty well made pan, should get the job done! Here's the pics...

Here's some closer detail of the doors...

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2009 - 12:47:33 AM »
 :eek7:

Offline boydsdodge

• Top end's unlimited....Aaaauuuuugghhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!
    • Boydsdodge
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2009 - 07:08:10 PM »
And?
Jackson from Toronto.

Offline 72bluNblu

« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2009 - 12:41:18 AM »
And?

Not on the car yet, waiting for my heads to get back after porting so I can assemble the 340 and get it in. One of these days...

Offline boydsdodge

• Top end's unlimited....Aaaauuuuugghhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!
    • Boydsdodge
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2009 - 08:16:58 AM »
OK cool just thought I'd check to see how thinks were with the pan.
Are you going to ad any baffles for cornering?
Jackson from Toronto.

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2009 - 08:55:00 AM »
They do have a small lip on them to slow down side to side movement, but looks like it could be improved a bit. Depending on how the pickuop fits, you could tack some sheet steel to the sides to help out some.

I'm going to pick one of these up in the mext month and tinker around with it. I really want to get my engine back in the car with out a drag pan on it.

Offline 72bluNblu

« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2009 - 11:10:08 PM »
 :iagree:

Most of the baffles and doors and trick stuff is still mainly for front to back movement, not side to side. Although it looks better than most of the drag pans, so that's a plus. And its a BIG improvement over stock.

Lemme know what you do to yours, and the pace I'm going you'll probably have yours modified before I get to mine  :violin: