Author Topic: VIN tags  (Read 1634 times)

Offline Purple73Cuda

VIN tags
« on: February 25, 2009 - 12:56:26 PM »
I have seen VIN tags and fender tags for sale for years. Do you guys encounter E bodies with VIN tags that don't match the body numbers since the E bodies have gone up in value? Do people have problems registering these cars?
John
'73 Cuda 340
'70 RR 440+6
'66 Charger 383

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
Re: VIN tags
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009 - 01:05:45 PM »
Yeah it is becoming a big problem. People are rebodying slant 6 cars with 440 6-pack and hemi vin tags. If you search on here for vin fraud and rebody, things like that you will find tons of threads on the subject.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009 - 08:39:07 PM »
I saw two VIN swap cars at Carlisle last year, & I was not going out of my way to look for them.

Swapping a VIN from one car to another is a felony of course, but it can also bite folks in the butt if the car is in an accident. If the car gets hit or totaled & the insurance adjuster notices that the VIN does not match the body, then they do not have to pay the claim.

The only legal way to deal with a car with no VIN tag is to get a state issued replacement.

Barry

Offline Purple73Cuda

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009 - 07:43:39 AM »
I would imagine that it happens to E bodies more often because of the value. Also the seller could say that the rivets are different because they changed the dash pad.
Do most Motor Vehicle Depts. actually check that the body and VIN match? When I recently registered my '66 Charger, all the DMV did was do a VIN verification. They checked for a VIN tag and made sure it matched the registration application. Ct. does not have or require titles for cars older than 20 (I believe) years old.
Would the state issue a VIN if there was a VIN but it didn't match the body number? Would the VIN be similiar to the original ( with model, body style, year, engine,etc.)?
John
'73 Cuda 340
'70 RR 440+6
'66 Charger 383