Author Topic: Thoughts on Baer Brakes  (Read 1486 times)

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
Thoughts on Baer Brakes
« on: February 25, 2009 - 11:34:39 PM »
I did a search and didn't find the answers I was looking for. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the Baer Serious Street disk brake kits? They have 2 piston calipers and are designed to work with most 14 and 15 inch oem wheels. The front brake kit includes a new master cylinder and I believe new lines and hoses. The kit for the front is 4141001 and the kit for the rear is 4142001. Jegs sells the front kit for $1295 and the rear kit for $1275.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: Thoughts on Baer Brakes
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009 - 03:39:52 AM »
I have not tried these , Bear basically sources their parts from other suppliers & assembles the kits , you should be able to beat that price for what you are buying

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009 - 08:13:59 AM »
Thanks Chryco. I should probably also mention that I am looking for what will give me the most benefit in terms of increased stopping ability for a car that sees lots of road time. If that even means spending more than what these Baer brakes cost so be it. At the moment i do not plan on replacing the stock rallye wheels as i cannot find an aftermarket wheel in a plus size that i like.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009 - 12:19:58 PM »
No personal experience with Baer, but the consensus on them from some other boards I visit is that their entry level stuff is rebadged corvette stuff.  If it fits a 14" wheel, then it isn't going to necessarily be better than the stock stuff you may have as they tend to use 10.5 or 10.8 rotors, which are comparable to stock 14" wheel stuff anyway. The dual piston calipers may be a little bit lighter and provide a little better feedback than the stockiron, single pot units, but otherwise, no big gain in using them over your OEM set up.

Additional braking force comes more from leverage than swept area, so the larger diameter rotor provided greater leverage for stopping, which is why 13 and 14" set ups are so popular with the 17-19 inch wheel crowd. The biggest rotor you can fit in a 15" wheel is 12.19, which will be a special kit, most likely from Wilwood, Red Devil or US Brake, but others may have them too. Expect to spend a few grand on this type of set up. Using stock style stuff, 11.75 is a bargain way to get close to the same leverage without spending a fortune on the system, but it all boild down to intended usage, personal preference, and budget.

Offline IMNCARN82

• Resident
  • LeDZeP
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009 - 09:07:29 PM »
I have baer track brakes. Just about to order rears.They are pricey!  Havn't had any problems. They have nice composite hats.Pre-lubed bearings.  Good power.But with a 14" rotor. 17" wheel.     
'73 340 5 speed,RMS,BAER,... "Supercuda" (O[   ]||||[   ]O)  
'69 Dodge Charger 383,Auto                  (OiiiiiiiiiiIiiiiiiiiiiO)
13' Challenger R/T BlacktoP  6spd. (OO________OO)
71' Demon
75' Duster
87' Conquest TSI
56' Plaza
Boulder CO
Robert    "cuda bob"

Offline 72bluNblu

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009 - 02:13:02 AM »
If you don't mind a 15" wheel I'd just go with the later 11.75" mopar disks in the front. You'll need the later model ('73 up) spindles and a set of caliper mounts for the 11.75" rotors, but thats it. You could also upgrade to wilwood 4 piston calipers if you bought a set of AR engineering caliper adaptors. Even if you bought everything new the caliper adaptors are $170, and the wilwoods are about $130 per caliper. With the 11.75" rotors you could still get out for around $500, a little more if you need the spindles. And it would stop better than a 10.8" rotor...

Offline moprr

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009 - 09:46:33 AM »
A guy at a local show had the brakes in the pic and they liked them.  He said he ordered the complete kit and everthing fit 100% including the lines.  He liked the fact that if he ever needs parts he can go to a local supplier and but corvette parts (cant remember what year)