political posts?

Author Topic: political posts?  (Read 5218 times)

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
Re: political posts?
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2009 - 12:10:49 PM »
I noticed yesterday the thread I posted in was deleted right after my post....I really never meant anything by it, I was not bashing anothers country, I was just trying to get my head around the topic....I guess I shouldn't have posted on a topic i'm not really interested in or have an opinion one way or the other....sorry guys, my bad.  Everyone seems to have a different opinion of gun laws, and I have no opinion nor know the laws good enough to make a comment.    :crazy:

BTW, I have a terrible problem with coming off the wrong way when I type..lol, I get told that all the time by my girlfriend.  Dang internet.

That's what smiles are for Brother Dave. :thumbsup: They're not there to look pretty and is the whole reason they were invented, to get tone across. I laugh at people who think people use them because they like "all the pretty colours". Without smiles, some people might think I'm yelling this, saying it under my angered breath, seeking revenge as I speak, posting drunk :lol: etc......

Later. (in a happy way, as in  :wave: not  >:( )
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline 1BADFISH™

• Resident
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2009 - 12:15:26 PM »
That's what smiles are for Brother Dave. :thumbsup: They're not there to look pretty and is the whole reason they were invented, to get tone across. I laugh at people who think people use them because they like "all the pretty colours". Without smiles, some people might think I'm yelling this, saying it under my angered breath, seeking revenge as I speak, posting drunk :lol: etc......

Later. (in a happy way, as in  :wave: not  >:( )

Very true Carl...I guess i'll have to take a Smiley 101 class....  :smilielol:

Dave
Charlottetown, PE
2014 GMC Sierra Crew Cab White Diamond edition.
1970 Dodge Challenger 340-6 4spd.
*Member Since* Oct 11, 2005

Offline js27

• MOPAR OR NO CAR
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2009 - 12:19:25 PM »
The way I feel like this is not the place for political or religious debates  because it is a car fourm but on the other hand I feel that in the OFF TOPIC section this should be allowed. It is sensorship we are talking about here. I have a hard time with that concept. It is still a free country (for now) and if you don't like what you are reading then CLICK OFF of the post. It is just like people who complain about certain tv shows or raido show and want them off the air.  I know my tv and my raido both have buttons to change the channel or they even have a button that says OFF !.
I am sorry if I offend anyone  it is not my intenion.
Thanks
JS27
1967 GTX
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T Conv.

Offline wiiildcat

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2009 - 12:57:58 PM »
I am glad to see I am not the only one that sees that the political issues can make someone really hot and get out of control really easy.

I thought we here to talk cars and for the most part we can all get along about that.  That too can get out of control. 

We all have bad days and good days.  Sometimes things dont bother you at all then others the least little thing will make you snap.

I Love E Bodies.  I have my preferences but love them both.  I love A bodies as well some more than others.  The 1964 Barracuda will always have a place in my heart because it was the first car I really drove the most and had it for several years.

Think about what I said and I think you will see a lot of truth in it. 

Lets keep our forum about Cars and Cars only. 

Gordon
:stirpot:
not to be the devils advocate but then you couldn't post 90% of the time could you? Dont want you or anyone else to stop posting I like reading them all for the most part. But to say about cars and cars only means no post about our jobs, girlfriends/wives/kids or etc. I understand what your saying but you see what Im saying right? If we cant post about politics I wont, no problem what so ever with that request, great site great people hope I didnt make anybody to upset with my parts of the back and forths  :aarg: I love this site but partly because it isnt like the other site's, it seems more grown up were I can differ with another :swear: member and not worry about them sitting at home crying  :crying: instead they smack me  :horse: right back. Did I do the smileys right? :dunno:  :clueless:

Offline heminut

• Resident
  • owner of the poor man's Hemi Cuda
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2009 - 02:32:58 PM »
not to be the devils advocate but then you couldn't post 90% of the time could you? Dont want you or anyone else to stop posting I like reading them all for the most part. But to say about cars and cars only means no post about our jobs, girlfriends/wives/kids or etc.

:iagree: That's exactly the point of having an Off Topic area. When you start drawing the line then where does the line stop and who decides that? :dunno:
1970 5.7 Hemi Cuda

Offline NoMope Greg

• Resident
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2009 - 02:35:46 PM »
not to be the devils advocate but then you couldn't post 90% of the time could you? Dont want you or anyone else to stop posting I like reading them all for the most part. But to say about cars and cars only means no post about our jobs, girlfriends/wives/kids or etc. I understand what your saying but you see what Im saying right? If we cant post about politics I wont, no problem what so ever with that request, great site great people hope I didnt make anybody to upset with my parts of the back and forths  :aarg: I love this site but partly because it isnt like the other site's, it seems more grown up were I can differ with another :swear: member and not worry about them sitting at home crying  :crying: instead they smack me  :horse: right back. Did I do the smileys right? :dunno:  :clueless:

:iagree:  The fact that most of the members here act like grown-ups instead of flame-headed, full-of-themselves kids (with apologies to the Young Guns we do have) is the main reason I'm on here.  I really feel like part of a community here. 

I also enjoy the off-topic section.  I get pretty fired up at some of the political posts here too, but I always try to think about addressing the issue respectfully.  Most times, I'll write something, read it and then cancel the post.  It seems to help to get something off my chest in writing without going to the trouble of  :stirpot: and making things worse.  Other times, I'll hit the preview button, both to check my grammer and syntax and to re-read what I've written to make sure it's exactly what I want to say in the way I want to say it. 

Plus, Gordon...if we kept it to cars and only cars, we wouldn't know about your girlfriend.  We're all hoping she's doing better and know how eager you are to get home and see her.   :2thumbs:
Greg
2003 Ford Escape XLS
Currently Mopar-less :(

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2009 - 03:13:13 PM »
I did notify everyone that I took down my thread but it was in a thread that was taken down also. I dont have a problem with making political threads but the one I wrote was going nowhere fast so I just deleted it. It was not what one person said but just the general location it was heading. I will always post my personal opinion but I dont want to do it in a way that alienates my fellow mopar nuts. Mopars are the main reason we are here so that is where I will stay for a while.  Peace   :bigsmile:
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline wiiildcat

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2009 - 03:45:45 PM »
Most times, I'll write something, read it and then cancel the post.  It seems to help to get something off my chest in writing without going to the trouble of  :stirpot: and making things worse.
:smilielol: I thought I was the only one that did that lol, sure helps just to type it sometimes. :chatting:

Offline Rare_T_A

• Resident
    • Freiss Family Mopar Site
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2009 - 03:49:11 PM »
What happened to the 2 posts about the stimulus package and gun control? Seems as soon as things get a little heated, the post gets killed.

Personally, I'd like to see all political posts banned from here, when i first joined this site those type posts where never on here. Lately, they seem to be more and more prevalent. Lets keep this site about Mopars. If you want to post about politics, there are plenty of places on the net to get your jollies.

:iagree:  There are plenty of places on the web to post this stuff. I hope this site doesn't turn into one!!!!!!!
'09 Challenger R/T  5.7 HEMI Auto
'70Challenger T/A 340 727

Fargo, N. Dak.
My web Site:  http://freiss.co.nr

My Flikr Page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/102813164@N04/

I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left!

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2009 - 04:10:34 PM »
:smilielol: I thought I was the only one that did that lol, sure helps just to type it sometimes. :chatting:

I also do this occasionally, I type it out and to me it's a fair statement and nothing to worry about but after re-reading it and being around forums for many years, I know it's better now to just bite my tongue and move on, so, I delete it. When said threads go on and on and on with bickering I thank myself for not posting in it. Sometimes (hardly on this forum) they turn into very heated debates that go no where, just a slinging match back and fourth, back and fourth, back and fourth (like so).

You get no where, prove nothing, change no ones mind and all you do is lose respect for what once was a forum member you regarded as a friend, not worth it. When I make posts now I really make sure it offends no one, is honest and factual as can be. That way, I never have to worry. As someone once said, if you don't lie, you never have to remember what you said. ;) I hardly come to CCC any more, a lot has changed over the years and to be honest it needs more maintenance and a good tidy up. Having said that, I still enjoy reading the posts and mingling with the great people on this site.

:wave:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline hemi71

• Resident
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2009 - 05:14:02 PM »
I agree. I'd rather not even know how uninformed and misguided some of my friends here are.  :poopoke:

Chall416...read your own sig..says it all, i dont have to say a word.

My problem is every political discussion degenerates into a pissing contest once a differing opinion is posted.

And BTW, i owe wiiildcat an apology...I stated "backed yourself into a corner" and i can see how you might feel defensive about that..and i guess that's my point. I try to be civil, but it often does not work out that way or come across as such. Nothing personal was intended, my bad.

I may have been involved in some heated discussions, and i may not be of the same political views of the majority here, but i do respect your opinions. I do have a problem with a few on here who show no respect for differing opinions. I've stated this before, and I'll say it again...just because i dont agree with you, that does not mean I'm stupid, ill-informed, misguided, ignorant, or an idiot. I have NEVER said that to anyone, and i dont appreciate it being said to me, no matter how cleverly veiled. And BTW, i have NEVER started a political post on this site. I may get involved, but it's usually after the discussion is pretty one-sided and i am getting tired of hearing the same stuff over and over.

I get to argue all day long with contractors and consultants, this place used to be a little haven away from that. Now lately it's turned into just another place to agrue with people. I'm starting to find Moparts a more civil place, and thats scary... :roflsmiley:

I guess i just need a vacation from here, sorry if i offended anyone last nite, nothing i posted was intended to be personal.

Offline wiiildcat

« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2009 - 06:02:04 PM »
And BTW, i owe wiiildcat an apology

No you dont, you stated your views better than I can mine, Im not real articulate when I type or talk lol. It was all good and your views were the ones I referred to as making me research my own opinions more and thats what a debate is all about. I have much more respect for you and your perspective now than I did before the debate. Not that that matters to you but just sayin what Im thinkin.  :cheers:

Offline go-fish

• Resident
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2009 - 06:25:57 PM »
You get no where, prove nothing, change no ones mind .......

Ding, Ding, Ding, Ding. We have a winner.

This is exactly the reason I deleted my thread, and BTW for whoever asked, in the threads you start there is a "Delete Thread" button at the very bottom left of the page.

Hemi71 knows I disagree with just about everything in the world of politics with him, however, I would like to call him my friend and if it takes not talking politics with him I'll do it. I have a really good hunting buddy that is a big Obama supporter. Before the elections last year we NEVER talked politics. We are both military, adhere to traditional family values, and hunt. He just thinks universal healthcare, social programs, and blah blah blah... are good ideas. Since I knew him before I knew he was a gun loving liberal I was forced into having a liberal friend. So I know it can be done. I really value his friendship.

Hemi71, if you still hate me because I'm a Libertarian there is nothing I can do about that but waddayasay, want to bury the hatchet and accept that I am going to tone down the politics thing? I'd rather discuss cars with you anyway.

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2009 - 06:49:55 PM »

Ding, Ding, Ding, Ding. We have a winner.

This is exactly the reason I deleted my thread, and BTW for whoever asked, in the threads you start there is a "Delete Thread" button at the very bottom left of the page.

Hemi71 knows I disagree with just about everything in the world of politics with him, however, I would like to call him my friend and if it takes not talking politics with him I'll do it. I have a really good hunting buddy that is a big Obama supporter. Before the elections last year we NEVER talked politics. We are both military, adhere to traditional family values, and hunt. He just thinks universal healthcare, social programs, and blah blah blah... are good ideas. Since I knew him before I knew he was a gun loving liberal I was forced into having a liberal friend. So I know it can be done. I really value his friendship.

Hemi71, if you still hate me because I'm a Libertarian there is nothing I can do about that but waddayasay, want to bury the hatchet and accept that I am going to tone down the politics thing? I'd rather discuss cars with you anyway.

This post sums up my thoughts exactly on those whose opinion I disagree with. We all have our own personal ideals. The thing that brings us here are the cars not our personal views on world affairs.
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline priderocks

« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2009 - 09:41:28 PM »
You guys are all heavies. Can a newbie submit an opinion?