political posts?

Author Topic: political posts?  (Read 5208 times)

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
  • My M46 Barracuda! Member Since:October 01, 2005
Re: political posts?
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2009 - 10:01:02 PM »
Yes you can.

I was not talking about getting rid of the off topic section.  The only thing I was thinking is that is hard to keep your opinion cival some times.  We see things one sided and we look at the screen and it gets to us at times about what is being said.

"Plus, Gordon...if we kept it to cars and only cars, we wouldn't know about your girlfriend.  We're all hoping she's doing better and know how eager you are to get home and see her."

I hope you guys dont mind that I write about my girlfriend.  She is on my mind for sure as well as my car.
Got a pretty good start on my M46 optioned Barracuda restoration but now it is on hold till I can gather more funds.  Still need a few parts for it.  SIU Graduate 75 AAS Automotive Tech, 94 BS Advanced Tech Studies, 1997 MSED Workforce Education and Development

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2009 - 10:45:39 PM »
You guys are all heavies. Can a newbie submit an opinion?

Im all ears :2thumbs:

Im gullable enough to hear and believe everything   lol

Offline priderocks

« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2009 - 01:32:41 AM »
OK, here goes.

I don't know anyone on the forum personally. I haven't made many posts, but have spent a lot of time reading the posts and have learned a lot about e-bodies. You guys have helped me out a lot in answering my sometimes not-real-smart questions. I appreciate that. My cars are turning out for the better because of the info you guys have taken the time to provide.

Women can make friends over nothing more than a cup of coffee. Guys usually make friends based around a common interest. I kid my wife in saying that guys need to base their friendships around killing things or blowing things up. There are women on this forum that would probably understand this exactly. Nod your heads.

I have a lot of interests and passions besides these cars. I have formed friendships with cars as the catalyst, but soon you are talking about everything else- raising kids, politics, marital stuff, etc. I would not want to not know how people felt about the real important stuff in life. These cars are just sheet metal. That's why I think the off-topic section is really important. That seems where you  could get to know the other members. It's where you can "let your guard down", and discuss what is happening in your life, the world, and any other stuff you feel passionate about. You can get on any number of forums and discuss politcs, abortion, etc., but when you are doing this with people you already have some credibility with and a common denominator with (the cars) it allows for a lot of give and take. I have seen you guys lose your digital tempers, apologize, and others say "that's cool, no problem". That's worth a lot. I would hate to see off-topics nixed or it's content restricted.

But, there are certain things that should be laid down as ground rules for the forums (if they aren't already somewhere). Name calling, racial stuff, slandering someone's country should elicit a PM from the moderator(s). Repeat violators shoud be banned from participation either for a period of time or permanently, if that is possible. Not sure how this forum is set up to do that sort of thing. I avoid the "hot babes" section because that stuff seems high-schoolish to me. People could avoid the off-topics forum as well for their own personal reasons if they were annoyed or offended by what went on there. 

Anyway, that's my two cents.

Offline wiiildcat

« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2009 - 05:57:40 AM »
well said noob  :roflsmiley: J/K Im pretty new also, and this is great group of guys an gals.
     Your point about common interest is dead on, I know there are political forums out there but their not real people to me. Here when we discuss, argue, disagree, it's with people that I actually feel like I know [cyber friends lol] but you know what I mean. Its like me and my brothers, they lean more toward the liberal side and,well you all know which way I lean lol.
   But we will cuss each other, sometimes be ready to fight, then sit down for x-mas dinner and exchange gifts lol. Thats the way I feel here, Hemi71 for example, we disagree about or political views, but I would help him in a heartbeat if there was ever something I had or could do to help him if he needed it. Sorry to drop your name Hemi but you was the last one I bantered with lol. But thats the difference here than on some political forum.

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2009 - 06:58:48 AM »
Good points

I got a pointed head, so I can't understand politics. So I don't post much in them. I always feel like Jethro doing math.  The babes section reminds me of when I was young and when I look at them, it reminds me of the high Maint cost it takes to keep a look at me type person in my life.  I myself have lost a few mill to pretty girls, so if they don't talk, I like them.

So lets all have a cup of coffee, talk about killing things, and post a world united flag.  And the last time I looked up my family tree, a monkey crapped on me, so I figure I have 57 ways to every topic now. And Jesus came an went. Some saw him and some didn't. But my spirit and desire is still alive. 

Soooo,  if you want to talk politics, go for it.  But one person will never solve the worlds problems. It took millions of greedy people to cause them.   

Now how do I get 8 pistons un stuck so as to not put deep scratches in the bores of an engine I want to build.

And if politics suck, you may as well go get a straw, cause as long as you breath air, it will always be around.  It's all about money. So when the money is gone out of everyone, then the world will slow down. Greed breeds thieves. Power builds destruction, and after 40 yrs or so, pretty babes get ugly, and the body heads south. So your mind is a terrible thing to waste. If you get it all cluttered up with things that dont seem to go with the flow, it all breaks down.

Now what were we talking about.........  I must have al's hymen deases. I forget. I'll be back, I wanna see if anyone posted another babe :2thumbs:  Shake hands and enjoy what little life you have by making a good mark in life.  That's all anyone can really do. Politicians will take care of the rest.     Amen

Offline whitesatinmopar

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 3/30/02
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2009 - 08:37:45 AM »
Good points
  The babes section reminds me of when I was young and when I look at them, it reminds me of the high Maint cost it takes to keep a look at me type person in my life.  I myself have lost a few mill to pretty girls, so if they don't talk, I like them.

I look at them Al because a woman is the most beautiful thing the good Lord ever made. True. And ya know what else, they are beautiful in many ways and they don't need to be "model material" either. Does my wife mind, I'm sure sometimes. But she knows I love only her and she is totally self confident within her self. Hey, the lady even gave me a subscription to Playboy for years, then one year I told her not renew it. I started feeling perverted looking at ladies not much older then my grand daughters.  :roflsmiley: Aging does funny things to ya.
1969 Polara 500 vert.
1970 Charger 500
1971 Dart Swinger
1972 R/R 440+6 (wanabe)
1973 Challenger

Offline 1BADFISH™

• Resident
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2009 - 08:52:49 AM »
OK, here goes.

I don't know anyone on the forum personally. I haven't made many posts, but have spent a lot of time reading the posts and have learned a lot about e-bodies. You guys have helped me out a lot in answering my sometimes not-real-smart questions. I appreciate that. My cars are turning out for the better because of the info you guys have taken the time to provide.

Women can make friends over nothing more than a cup of coffee. Guys usually make friends based around a common interest. I kid my wife in saying that guys need to base their friendships around killing things or blowing things up. There are women on this forum that would probably understand this exactly. Nod your heads.

I have a lot of interests and passions besides these cars. I have formed friendships with cars as the catalyst, but soon you are talking about everything else- raising kids, politics, marital stuff, etc. I would not want to not know how people felt about the real important stuff in life. These cars are just sheet metal. That's why I think the off-topic section is really important. That seems where you  could get to know the other members. It's where you can "let your guard down", and discuss what is happening in your life, the world, and any other stuff you feel passionate about. You can get on any number of forums and discuss politcs, abortion, etc., but when you are doing this with people you already have some credibility with and a common denominator with (the cars) it allows for a lot of give and take. I have seen you guys lose your digital tempers, apologize, and others say "that's cool, no problem". That's worth a lot. I would hate to see off-topics nixed or it's content restricted.

But, there are certain things that should be laid down as ground rules for the forums (if they aren't already somewhere). Name calling, racial stuff, slandering someone's country should elicit a PM from the moderator(s). Repeat violators shoud be banned from participation either for a period of time or permanently, if that is possible. Not sure how this forum is set up to do that sort of thing. I avoid the "hot babes" section because that stuff seems high-schoolish to me. People could avoid the off-topics forum as well for their own personal reasons if they were annoyed or offended by what went on there. 

Anyway, that's my two cents.

Very well said....but that last part is just crazy talk....LOL J/K   :smilielol:    :bigsmile:

Dave
Charlottetown, PE
2014 GMC Sierra Crew Cab White Diamond edition.
1970 Dodge Challenger 340-6 4spd.
*Member Since* Oct 11, 2005

Offline 340Challman

• 70 Challenger B5 A66 4 spd
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2009 - 09:34:33 AM »
I too would like to throw my  :2cents: on the table. I usually don't post in the political topics just because I am sick of the whole situation that we have allowed our elected officials to get us in to. When I do I usually just vent frustration directed mainly at the politicians. I think in these times with how screwed up our country is, it is hard not to have political discussions. It is hitting home hard for a lot of us. I think the discussions can be healthy if we keep a few things in mind.

If me and three other people witness the same event and are asked to explain what happened, you are going to get four different accounts of the incident. How can that be? We all saw the same thing. These differences come about because of interpretation, perception and our own personal beliefs. So unless you have video of the event you have nothing more than four opinions of what happened. That is exactly what is happening with our political discussions. We are expressing our opinion of the situation and we need to remember that the other person is doing the same. You're not right and he's wrong, and he's not right and you're wrong. You are both expressing your take on things.

Respect! I was taught by my Grandfather how to respect other people and their opinions, even when it rubs me the wrong way. People say there are two absolutes in life, death and taxes. Well I think there are many more and one is definitely the fact that people ARE going to rub you the wrong way from time to time. If you keep the respect up front, you will most likely refrain from bashing another person or their country. If something gets said that hit the wrong button, walk away and think about it keeping opinions and respect in your mind. Then you can come back and most likely say something that you wont have to regret or apologize for later.

This topic of censoring threads is definitely a double edged sword. There are limits that should not be allowed to be breeched with peoples behavior and the Admin and Mods shouldn't have to be baby sitters for us. As I said though, I think the discussions can be healthy and I would like for the ability to remain. I hope that we can find the agreeable middle road and can continue to have these discussions even if I don't post in them often. It provides me with many other perspectives to ponder and also a reality check as well.

Geez, that looks more like four cents. I better toss two more. :2cents:

:cheers: everybody.

Kevin

« Last Edit: February 27, 2009 - 09:38:30 AM by 340Challman »
Don't look back, I might be gaining on you.
        ___               ___
             ]            [

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2009 - 12:11:57 PM »
I'm down with the respect thing. Expecially when it comes to Presidents. You can tell alot about a sitting or past President just by the way he conducts himself. GWB could have surely pointed fingers after 9/11 and the sub-prime crisis, but he never did. He had privy to all the information about Bin Laden and how Clinton had the chance to eliminate him, and he obviously knew Fannie and Freddie were on thin ice because he sounded the alarm 6 years ago. Even when they were pointing the finger at him for the sub prime loans they all defended he refused to blame others. Quite a contrast to some others that never miss an opportunity to assign blame elsewhere and bemoan what they "inherited". The worst finger pointer of all is Carter. He was the first to break the unwritten rule that Presidents don't speak badly of each other when in office or after they retire. Clinton has had his moments but he has mellowed out. The guy we got now does it with every speach. As if he knows his plan will fail so he wants to divert the blame to somebody else pre-emptively. It'll be interesting to see how long that blame dog will hunt with the media and when they will start asking where these 4.5 million new jobs are at. After all, we just paid $222,000 for each one.  :bricks1:
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

Offline hemi71

• Resident
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2009 - 11:59:14 PM »

No you dont, you stated your views better than I can mine, Im not real articulate when I type or talk lol. It was all good and your views were the ones I referred to as making me research my own opinions more and thats what a debate is all about. I have much more respect for you and your perspective now than I did before the debate. Not that that matters to you but just sayin what Im thinkin.  :cheers:

I appreciate that...again, no disrespect intended.

Offline hemi71

• Resident
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2009 - 12:23:07 AM »

Ding, Ding, Ding, Ding. We have a winner.

This is exactly the reason I deleted my thread, and BTW for whoever asked, in the threads you start there is a "Delete Thread" button at the very bottom left of the page.

Hemi71 knows I disagree with just about everything in the world of politics with him, however, I would like to call him my friend and if it takes not talking politics with him I'll do it. I have a really good hunting buddy that is a big Obama supporter. Before the elections last year we NEVER talked politics. We are both military, adhere to traditional family values, and hunt. He just thinks universal healthcare, social programs, and blah blah blah... are good ideas. Since I knew him before I knew he was a gun loving liberal I was forced into having a liberal friend. So I know it can be done. I really value his friendship.

Hemi71, if you still hate me because I'm a Libertarian there is nothing I can do about that but waddayasay, want to bury the hatchet and accept that I am going to tone down the politics thing? I'd rather discuss cars with you anyway.

I never hated anyone for their opinions, you have a right to think what you think as well as i do, thats what makes this country the best in the world. Now some of the things you have said have pissed me off, and we can discuss those off-line on Pm's..or not, your call.

:cheers:

Lets face it, being a car guy with a viper pickup truck (probably the least politically correct car/truck on the planet next to a H1 hummer) kind of makes me sort of a wild card 

Offline hemi71

• Resident
« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2009 - 12:41:41 AM »
I'm down with the respect thing. Expecially when it comes to Presidents. You can tell alot about a sitting or past President just by the way he conducts himself. GWB could have surely pointed fingers after 9/11 and the sub-prime crisis, but he never did. He had privy to all the information about Bin Laden and how Clinton had the chance to eliminate him, and he obviously knew Fannie and Freddie were on thin ice because he sounded the alarm 6 years ago. Even when they were pointing the finger at him for the sub prime loans they all defended he refused to blame others. Quite a contrast to some others that never miss an opportunity to assign blame elsewhere and bemoan what they "inherited". The worst finger pointer of all is Carter. He was the first to break the unwritten rule that Presidents don't speak badly of each other when in office or after they retire. Clinton has had his moments but he has mellowed out. The guy we got now does it with every speach. As if he knows his plan will fail so he wants to divert the blame to somebody else pre-emptively. It'll be interesting to see how long that blame dog will hunt with the media and when they will start asking where these 4.5 million new jobs are at. After all, we just paid $222,000 for each one.  :bricks1:

What does what you have posted have to do with the topic at hand???  Cant you just leave your political opinions on the side and post something that leaves politics out of it? This post is not about the stimulus package, or what your political beliefs are, or what past or present presidents policies are.

You have 2 posts on this topic, both of which have NO positive input to the topic of my post.

So since you are so into respect, where is your respect for my opinions? Your first post was a poorly vailed attempt to demean my political beliefs, now you go off on your political agenda again when everybody else who has posted has put their politics aside to try and reach some common ground.

You are entitled to your opinions, but to constantly steer every thread to your agenda is getting OLD.

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2009 - 01:02:16 AM »
If this doesn't scare you somethings wrong.
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

Offline hemi71

• Resident
« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2009 - 01:19:13 AM »
You do have a problem.....again, this is NOT about politics, or the economy, it's about political posts on this web site and their effect on the brotherhood we all have for Mopars...maybe your head is so dense it cant get through.

If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem.

As far as respect, you sir have lost any i might have attempted to have for you.

keep in mind one thing....dont come unarmed to a battle of the wits, you will lose.

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2009 - 01:25:43 AM »
You've obviously confused me with someone that cares what you think of me.  :2thumbs: