Author Topic: Could this be why GM is in trouble?  (Read 2290 times)

Offline priderocks

Could this be why GM is in trouble?
« on: February 26, 2009 - 10:08:20 PM »
This is my story, and is anectdotal, but relevant I think.

I bought a new Suburban in July 2002. I also purchased an extended warranty (6 year, 72,000 miles). The extended warranties are third-party (not thru GM). To date, a new battery after two years; on my third dash after the first two bubbled; new a/c compressor; new power window motor. But here's the kicker. I noticed a growling noise, a once-per-tire-revolution ominous sound so I took it to the Chevy dealer who told me because my warranty expired in July (the car has only 51,000 miles) I was out of luck. I took it to my regular mechanic who diagnosed a failed axle bearing as well as a failed carrier or possible pinion bearing. Huge $'s here. This car has been pretty babied, and in my opinion no truck should have the bearings shell out at 51,000 miles. The service manager said too bad. It's quite possible all service managers at any make of car would have said the same thing. Do you guys think I should just avoid the high blood pressure and have it fixed, or should I pursue this? And if so, how?

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
  • My M46 Barracuda! Member Since:October 01, 2005
Re: Could this be why GM is in trouble?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009 - 10:14:34 PM »
Take this for what is worth.  I worked on the Chevrolet customer hot line in Detroit and answered many calls like yours.  I would say to call them and explain what is going on.  You might not get all of it paid for but bet you would get part of it.  Explain about what the dealership done as well.  Dont get mad at them just state your story.  Hope this helps.  Let me know if I can help any more.  Gordon
Got a pretty good start on my M46 optioned Barracuda restoration but now it is on hold till I can gather more funds.  Still need a few parts for it.  SIU Graduate 75 AAS Automotive Tech, 94 BS Advanced Tech Studies, 1997 MSED Workforce Education and Development

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009 - 10:17:40 PM »
Now you know why I tell people to leave the tapered roller bearings in their rears. I assume you have a 10 bolt rear? This won't be the last time you have to repair it.  :grinno:
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009 - 10:27:08 PM »
Besides the ole saying the squeeky wheel get the oil so to speak.  So I would call them for sure.  Might still be some there that I worked with but not sure.  There were several that graduated from Southern IL Uniiversity in Carbondale as well that I knew.  Best of luck with getting it fixed.   
Got a pretty good start on my M46 optioned Barracuda restoration but now it is on hold till I can gather more funds.  Still need a few parts for it.  SIU Graduate 75 AAS Automotive Tech, 94 BS Advanced Tech Studies, 1997 MSED Workforce Education and Development

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009 - 10:58:25 PM »
Hate to say... we sell ALLOT of chevy truck parts (tahoe/burb/silerado)... I'm mopar when it comes to muscle... but my trucks got the blue oval...  My brother in laws got a tahoe..... whatta POC! Being in my biz you really get to see what fails on down the line, and everything you mentioned are common probs!  :crying:
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009 - 11:48:26 PM »
My Daughter's boyfriend has a '99 Chevy truck. It had one of the LS-1 motors with the bad pistons that knock like crazy when they're cold. They told him it was "normal" engine noise and refused to fix it while it was still under warantee.
He's fixed the rear in that twice already. 
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

Offline priderocks

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009 - 11:51:41 PM »
What person should I attempt to contact?

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2009 - 12:00:56 AM »
I would just call the customer hot line and explain what is going on and if you dont hear what you want ask for a supervisor and see where that leads.  I am not sure who is still up there or I would give you a person to call sorry.  Just trying to be of some help with having worked there.  It has been several years since I was there.  Gordon

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon

Offline go-fish

• Resident
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2009 - 12:20:46 AM »
My Dad had a GMC that ran up to 2xx,000 miles. It smoked like hell because of the heads being worn slap out but it really had no problems that were major. It was a 92 though???

My Yukon 4x4 I had for three years never gave me any problems except for the idler pulley. It was a 99.  :dunno:

I have always had good luck with GM trucks. I had one Ford. The biggest problem with that one was circled right there on the grille.  :bigsmile:
It was an 03 7.3 F250. That thing gave all kinds of problems. We also have 7.3 AND 6.0 F550's at work in our fleet and we often have all sorts of problems but in thier defense they do get beat to crap by the operators.
The best trucks I have come across are 70's and 80's Rams (if they aren't rusted out). The 94 and up wear out before they start rusting it seems.

Anymore, I wpould say anyone is likely to get a lemon. Guess who had the most recalls in the last few years? Toyota. Yes, the venerable Toyota. Anyone remember the Toyota tacoma and preTacoma truck buy backs? Toyota was actually made to buy back trucks even though the original owners didn't own them anymore, years later.
I know alot didn't want to sell back because they are good little trucks though. I wouldn't mind having one for a rock crawler.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2009 - 03:19:23 AM »
This is why I have bought my last GM product , they are engineered to barely last for the warranty & spend their $$ advertising , I have had similar experiences with GMs , failed diffs are common ,Start maikng some noise ,you may get some help

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2009 - 06:08:26 AM »
Chrysler has regional offices you can contact about service problems but not sure if GM is set up that way or not?Just call their customer service line and hopefully they can give you some help.I have had my Mopars repaired under warranty a couple times even though they were 1-2000 miles over the limit,the service manager can usually Ok it.
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline priderocks

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2009 - 02:51:09 PM »
According to the mechanic who will do the work, the GM axles aren't like the mopar units, in that the GM axle has a machined shoulder that also serves as the bearing inner race.  So, he says we may need to replace at least one axle. Any recommendations here? I see aftermarket axles for $160 or so, and assume theses are made in China. Probably so were the originals. Probably so will the new bearings.

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2009 - 05:20:14 PM »
Parts houses used to sell a gm axle saver bearing. I installed them on a dozen or so cars in the 80/90's era. 

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2009 - 05:29:06 PM »
I think the axles that Kabele stocks are OEM. I'm sure I could order one for you.
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2009 - 05:42:16 PM »
All Gm axles & the 8 1/4 dodge use a hard surface on the axle for the inner brg race smart Huh , so when the inner race wears out you buy new axles , basically you probably need most of a whole new diff now

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t