Author Topic: Custom Gauges  (Read 2399 times)

Offline conv340

• Myspace CaMopar
Custom Gauges
« on: February 28, 2009 - 03:25:48 PM »
There was several threads on custom guages some where back there but most of the pics are gone and or I couldn't find them. So I started a new one.
Since Rocky mountian is no more. and I'm not crazy about the XV panel. Like so many of you I decided to make my own. Its far from finished but It far enough along Ithiink to get the idea. :clueless:
 I've been thinking about the dash / instrument cluster for a long time. Like every thing on Twistd fish http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=28388.0 I want it to be unique, but carry the feel of the original. I always loved the look of the 70 non rally dash lots of style, curves, textures and levels. It just needs proper gauges. ( tach and oil psi )
I think the pics will do more to describe it then I can do, but here goes. With out a cnc machine I had to be creative to get the curved look of the upper gauge bezel. I used a fiber board mold and glass resin to make top bezel. The rest can be fabbed with steal and a lot of hours.
The basic idea is to create a 6 gauge version of the factory dash. with recessed gauges behind a smoked plexi lens. the gauges are Sport comp II ( led lit ) bight white back lit so when on they are easy to see though the plexi. but go dark when off. They are rebuilt with black bezels to complete the black out look when off. The main housing will be wrinkle finished with the top bezel in satin black or maybe the black pearl of the hood? The trim rings will stay brushed aluminum to set off the gauges. I still need to mount the indicators and switches. I hope to fit the head light and wiper switches on the left like the factory dash. The indicators will be on the lower level again like the stock cluster.
I think the console plate and over head console will carry the wrinkle finish as well to complete the look. I have the grand coupe head liner and will make a new version of the overhead to look like the original but with the air ride controls where the indicator lights were. Thats next. 

« Last Edit: February 28, 2009 - 03:35:14 PM by conv340 »
Two models, Two makes, One year, One body.

Offline Grancoupe

Re: Custom Gauges
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009 - 05:01:21 PM »
Very nice progress. these are the type of threads I enjoy seeing. Someone that takes the time and effort to CREATE a product. I look forward to seeing the progress of this project. My compliments to you and your efforts. tired of seeing CNC'ed specialty items that cost ridiculous prices that and take no effort or talent to just bolt on.

Offline Devil

• Forward, Together Forward
    • Ryan's Cars in Barns
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009 - 09:34:10 PM »
I did something similar, but not to that extent.  I have to finish it, but it is definately different then everything else out on the road.

Ryan
Ryan's Cars in Barns

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hemipwr70/
http://carsinbarns.blogspot.com

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
71 Challenger R/T Clone
69 Charger R/T SE
70 Barracuda
74 Dart Swinger
93 RamCharger
88 Caprice Classic Brougham

Offline Justins72

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009 - 10:36:03 AM »
What did you use for the trim rings? I had a similar idea but i with out the wood peice and smoked lense, also wanted the 2 5 inch gauges in the middle and then two more on either side.  Awsome looking dash though cant wait to see the finished product.

Offline 70 RT Convt

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009 - 10:50:47 AM »
Very nice work looks great :cheers:
1970 R/T Challenger Convertible
2011 R/T Classic

Offline cudagirl4406pk

• Yes i am a Girl and No you cant drive my CUDA
    • Garageartmusclecars
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009 - 12:15:57 PM »
Very nice my husband is going to make me my own dash also.
Yes i am a girl and no you cant drive my MOPAR :)