Author Topic: Coolant leaking from header bolts  (Read 7216 times)

Offline ryanb73

Coolant leaking from header bolts
« on: March 01, 2009 - 03:48:16 AM »
Hi guys, another question.  I currently have hedman hedders and am using the crappy paper type gasket and the header bolts that came with them.  Several times I have pulled the header bolts and put thread sealer on them but they still leak coolant.  Would good copper header gaskets fix this or does anyone have any other suggestions that might help?  This is a problem that has been going on for quite awhile now and you guys were so helpful on my last question I thought if anyone would know it would be you guys.
Thanks,
Ryan

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
Re: Coolant leaking from header bolts
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009 - 07:02:15 AM »
The type of gasket really wouldn't matter here. What type of sealant are you using?

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009 - 08:23:43 AM »
 :popcorn:
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009 - 11:29:00 AM »
the problem is sealing the threads not the gaskets , you need to use teflon tape & pipe dope possibly , if there is a helicoil in there it may never seal as the coolant could be leaking between the helicoil & the head not between the bolt

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline moparmaniac59

• Resident
  • Drive it like ya stole it!
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009 - 11:35:14 AM »
Try using studs in lieu of bolts (if you can). Seat the studs firmly on the stud shoulder & coat the studs with permatex #2 sealant. If The bolt holes are worn, you could have studs (or bolts) made at a machine shop with a zero clearance fit.
Matt

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009 - 11:51:43 AM »
I believe I used the brown permatex. It turns rock hard. Will probably be a nightmare to remove later but it stopped the leak.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline acudanut

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2009 - 12:36:38 PM »
I had that problem. It was leaking on one of the rear Exaust bolts.  I just used a longer bolt and it fixed my problem.  However, before I found that out, I assumed it was a head gasket (young and dumb) and pulled the head. All along it was just a need for a longer bolt.  :banghead:

Offline moparmaniac59

• Resident
  • Drive it like ya stole it!
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2009 - 01:18:51 PM »
Ther are two types of permatex, hardening and non-hardening. They also make a thread sealant. I've had the same leakage problems in the past and tried all the above. Usually one of them or a combination of two gets the job done!! :2thumbs:
Matt

Offline ryanb73

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2009 - 06:29:32 PM »
I've been using the permatex (I think) thread sealer.  Its the white goop that comes in the little white squeeze tube.  There are no helicoils in them.  I tried originally using studs but had a heck of a time getting the headers on them and just went with bolts.  I don't think I've ever used or seen the brown stuff.  I will look for it.  Otherwise do you think maybe the ultra copper or something would work better than thread sealer?

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2009 - 06:36:28 PM »
Ryan,

Out of curiousity, what size engine do you have? The Permatex white goop worked on my 440. I'm just wondering if we have something else to deal with here?   :dunno:

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline ryanb73

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2009 - 04:21:05 AM »
It is a 440.  I actually found an unopened tube of that brown stuff that I had laying around, I just didn't know it was brown.  I don't know what I originally bought it for but I will give that stuff a try.  Do you think there is any advantage to putting the bolts in and letting it sit overnight before filling the coolant or do you guys think that wouldn't matter?  Thanks again for the input.
Ryan

Offline quapman

• Resident
    • Auto-Grip on Facebook
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2009 - 06:17:42 AM »
I've had this problem with every big block I've had with headers. Factory studs seem to seal the best, but when those are gone, I use the longer header bolts or stainless or just regular grade 5 or 8 bolts, 1" long. I wrap with teflon tape, no semi-permanent goop, in case I need to remove later.
My name is Steve and I'm addicted to Challengers...

Offline acudanut

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2009 - 10:51:15 AM »
 Ya, that's what I said too.

Offline ryanb73

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2009 - 04:52:17 PM »
Ah ok.  When I saw cudanut's suggestion I looked on summit for header bolts but they just had some exactly like the ones I have and locking ones that cost $50 a set, but no longer ones.  Sounds like its worth putting trying some 1" regular bolts and maybe that brown goop too (since I already have it).  Thanks to cudanut and quapman, I never would have thought of using longer bolts but it makes sense now that I think of it- more thread contact area to seal.