Progress on the Cuda... More progress... More PICS

Author Topic: Progress on the Cuda... More progress... More PICS  (Read 4174 times)

Offline Jim

Progress on the Cuda... More progress... More PICS
« on: March 01, 2009 - 08:18:39 PM »
I figure I'm overdue to post a progress thread on the Cuda. I've had a few posts here and there before, but this is an attempt to consolidate.

For those of you that want to catch up, read here:
471 Magnum joins the club
Cuda arrives... what have I gotten myself into...
Big @ss brakes for the Cuda!- UPDATE #1

I haven't made a tremendous amount of progress over the last few months. I went through a period where I was pretty sure I was going to become an unemployment statistic. A new job has remedied that situation, so I'm now putting some time (and money) into the car.

Over the last few months, I've installed the fuel and brake lines. Installed and/or adjusted three for the four windows. Installed sound installation. Installed the tail lamps and rear wire harness. Installed the weather stripping. Today I installed the fuel tank and a few other parts.

I've also made some decisions on the overall direction of the car.

I'm selling the 440 stuff and the four speed (check the classified section for details). It's all headed to the Indy swap meet next weekend. Once that stuff is gone and I have some cash in hand, I will procure a 340 and a five speed set up. I've already got a line on for a pretty good deal on both.

I'm also going with a 72 grille instead of the 70 set-up that came with the car. The '70 grille is also going to the Indy swap meet (also listed in the classified section). I've already got a 72 header panel, head lamp bezels and trim pieces. I'll start hunting for a good grille, or spring for a repop soon.

Next I'm waiting for some nice weather so I can wash and dye the interior panels. I need to put a little more insulation in the rear of the passenger compartment, then I can go ahead and put the interior in.

I'll try to keep you guys posted on how the car progresses from here. I hope to get some momentum going. Some cash in my pocket after the swap meet should help.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009 - 08:11:20 PM by 471_Magnum »
-Jim
"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it. "

Offline Jim

Re: Progress on the Red Rocker... more progress
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009 - 03:55:26 PM »
Made some more progress over the last week or so.

The weather has finally warmed-up enough where I could drag the interior panels outside and scrub them. These suckers looked like they came from the bottom of a pond. It didn't occur to me to take some "BEFORE" pictures, so you'll have to take my word for it.

After scrubbing them and coating them with adhestion promoter, I painted them. I went with a multicolor scheme that I think compliments the exterior.

The charcoal colored portion was intended to be darker so as to match the seats. It actually came out of the can looking green, but dried to a dark grey. It actually comes closer to matching the exterior silver. The burgundy stripe definitely compliments the "Wild Cherry" on the exterior.

I need to order some new armrest pads and paint to match, and I'm missing the metal clips that hook over the top of the door. Carpet still needs to go in first, and I have to re-install the drivers window as well, so it will be a bit before I get everything installed.

My long-backordered fan and shroud arrived this weekend, so I was able to assemble it to the AFCO radiator and modify the radiator to fit the car. The radiator is darn near a bolt-in. Just had to trim a chunk off the passenger side mounting flange, and then mark and drill the holes. Fits real nice.

And for an interesting plot twist, I've got the car posted for sale:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=55841.0

There is a certain Road Runner I've been eyeballing for quite some time that has come on the market. I just can't afford both cars at the same time, so the Cuda would have to go. It's a long shot since it's unlikely I can get what I need out of the Cuda at this point, and I think the 'Runner will quickly find a new home. I figured maybe someone might be interested taking over this project.

Meanwhile, I'll continue working on it. I need to gather a few more parts, then I'll start assembling the motor next.
-Jim
"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it. "

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
Re: Progress on the Red Rocker... More progress
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009 - 05:16:13 PM »
Love the color combo & those door panels look superb  :thumbsup:
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009 - 06:12:09 PM »
Love the color combo & those door panels look superb  :thumbsup:

:iagree:

Nice job.   :2thumbs:

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2009 - 06:49:04 PM »
Looks good I like the matching stripe  :2thumbs:
Go Fast & Have Fun...
70 6.1 HEMI 6-speed Drop Top...

Offline Tubbed440

• Suspension NinJa
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2009 - 09:23:44 PM »
I've said it before, and I'll say it again.  The ideas that come from other members on this site are worth their weight in gold!  Excellent job on the interior panels.  That's going to look killer when you get it all finished up!  :thumbsup:
74 Dodge Challenger
500 inch stroker, Full cage, ladder bars,
coil-overs, 4L80E, 325/50 M/T DR's....street car!
(work in progress)

Offline Jim

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2009 - 10:01:59 PM »
Thanks for the kudos guys.

I probably wouldn't have gone with black for the interior color had the choice been mine. The seats, headliner and dash were already done when I bought it. After owning so many cars with black interior, I had to spice it up a bit. I originally considering doing everything in a dark charcoal, but that wouldn't have been much better than black.

It turned out every bit as nice as I had hoped.
-Jim

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2009 - 12:26:16 AM »
lookin good  :2thumbs:
 Umm did you paint the bottom of the gas tank Black ??  If you have problems with Vapor lock it may be absorbing heat from the pavement & boiling the gas in the tank ... there is a reason why tanks are silver

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Jim

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2009 - 07:34:49 PM »
I've got the rear carpet, side panels and back seat installed. It may have been pre-mature to install it at this stage, but after doing all the work on the panels, I had to get a preview of the final product. I couldn't resist.

I'm wishing the seats would have been done in a lighter charcoal shade. I think I've got one too many shades of gray on the interior right now, but it's going to have to do.

I've procured some new armrest pads and painted them to match. I'm still waiting to get my driver side window back from tinting before installing the door panels.

I'm going to throw the front seats in just to get them out of the way (and for a sneak preview). I've still got some wiring to do under the dash, as well has hook up the clutch and install the steering column., so the seats will not get bolted in yet.

I've also traded off my 70 grille set-up for a 72. The 72 needs to be patched up a bit, and I intend for that to be the next project. A friend is painting the original 72 header panel (as well as front and rear valences) so that they will be ready to install when I'm done with the grille.

Possibly the bigger news is that I've sold the four speed and a deal is pending on a five speed. This is really key to the program as I've always wanted this car to be a versatile driver. I was willing to settle for the four speed initially, and upgrade later, but the deal on the Keisler/Tremec came along and I had to take advantage of it. Unfortunately, that has completely sunk my budget and any chance of finishing the car this year is pretty much gone. I've got plenty to keep me busy though.

I likely will want to swap out the 4.10s for 3.55s since the Tremec is a .82 OD unit, but that is something which can wait. If you've got a fresh professionally rebuilt 489 3.55 third member to trade, drop me a PM.
-Jim

Offline rallye73

• Model cars for the big boys!!
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2009 - 09:09:26 PM »
Looks awesome. Can't wait to see more pics of the progress.
John Moorman
1971 Challenger R/T 383 4 speed (waiting it's turn)
1973 Challenger Rallye 340 4 speed (undergoing full resto)
2003 Dodge SRT-4 Stage 3 turbo daily driver-been as fast as 11.97et
1995 Dodge Neon Sport Coupe DOHC 5 speed Nitro-yellow-green (one of 527 built)

Offline Jim

Bad news-good news
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2009 - 07:10:29 PM »
Unfortunately, progress on the Cuda has pretty much stalled over the last couple of months. I've piddled around and bought a few more parts. I started assembling the short block.

Meanwhile, my priorities have changed. Been spending a lot more time with the family. (not a bad thing)

The big news is that I have another child on the way.

Knowing what would need to happen in the next few months to finish the car, and what won't happen once the baby arrives, I've decided to put the car on the market. There is simply no way that I have the time and money to invest in the next few months to finish the project. I can't bare to see it sit and wait for the day that will never come.

I'll continue to tinker on it while it waits to find a new home.

Check out the ad in the classified section if you're interested.
-Jim

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
Re: Progress on the Cuda... More progress
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2009 - 07:14:02 PM »
too bad....  :walkaway:
but, congrats on the new kiddo  :woo:
*** Bart ***

Offline Jim

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2009 - 07:55:46 PM »
I don't plan on getting out of the game completely. Once the Cuda is gone, I'll find something pretty much turn-key to replace it.
-Jim

Offline Street_Challenged73

• Sr. Resident
  • '73 FC-7 Challenger..Member since October 20, 2002
    • My '73 Challenger Restoration Page
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2009 - 10:05:17 PM »
That's looking very nice!!! :drool:
1973 Dodge Challenger......................The ongoing project. (00/----\00)
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo....The sunny day cruiser (RTBoost)
1990 Toyota Celica GT Liftback...........The new daily & winter driver.
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...Still the Elite and always will be.

Street_Challenged73 from Wisconsin

Offline Jim

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2009 - 05:10:44 PM »
So the last week or so I've been feeling somewhat inspired. I decided to get to work assembling the motor, if for no reason other than to get some parts cleared off my shelves.

I file fit all the rings earlier last week. Yesterday I thoroughly washed the block and crank. Today I figured I'd check the clearances on the mains and get the crank bolted in.

Went to looking through my stash of parts for the main bearings and they are no where to be found.  :dunno:

Since the motor came to me in boxes, I can't recall ever seeing the bearings, but I have a receipt for them from the guy that originally purchased the parts.

Meanwhile I turn the garage upside down in search of them to no avail.  :banghead:

Now I'm stuck for a while because I've already spent my "car allowance" for the next few weeks, not that I'm anxious to drop $90 on a set of bearings. I hope those suckers turn up somewhere.

Dang... I'm pissed.  :swear:

For a limited time only I'm offering a $100 discount on the entire package.  >:(
-Jim