Author Topic: found a bunch of cars but....................  (Read 4979 times)

Offline R/T hedkace

• Resident
Re: found a bunch of cars but....................
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2009 - 09:27:09 PM »
Yep.....you've definitely got a TON of good advice on this thread  :thumbsup:

Let's hope you take the advice, and don't get screwed..........if you do, there's gonna be a LOT of "I told ya so's/we warned ya"  :roflsmiley:
Please don't give us the satisfaction, and be smart about it  :cheers:

Jeff     
    Defending the Earth from "uptight" mods!!   an endless crusade..........

1970 Dodge Challenger R/T 440 4speed Dana
1970 Dodge Super Bee
1969 Barracuda
 Massachusetts

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2009 - 10:32:34 PM »
I'm sitting on the edge of my seat to see where this one goes :bigsmile:

Good Luck :2thumbs:

:popcorn: :popcorn:

:popcorn:  This is getting vewwy intawesting.....   :popcorn:
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline wiiildcat

« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2009 - 04:48:38 AM »
I'm sitting on the edge of my seat to see where this one goes :bigsmile:

Good Luck :2thumbs:

:popcorn: :popcorn:

LOL me too, starting to get a little anxious wondering whats going to happen. Talking to a friend of a friend this morning who is a estate lawyer, hopefully he knows something about this kind of stuff also. Thanks for all the advice, was a few things brought up that never crossed my mind.  :cheers:

Offline az-nick

• NicksClassicParts
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2009 - 09:12:40 PM »
Tell us what has happend and have you taken any pictures yet?

:useless:

Offline wiiildcat

« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2009 - 05:53:04 AM »
   Well the lawyer didnt tell anything to make me feel safer lol. Basically He recomended not paying anything for the cars. The other stuff was ok to buy. Since the eviction date has passed, the items in the garage can be disposed of (placed on the street). The cars are another matter.

He recommended that I charge the new owner to remove the cars, not actually take money from him but give him and invoice for removing and storing the cars. That way in 60 days I can file for mechanic liens. If the old owner comes to claim his cars I can charge him the towing and storage if I have the invoice showing I was hired to remove the vehicles but thats it. I cant charge him any monies that I paid the new guy for the cars because by law he had no right to sell them untill he does the abandoned title thing.

So if I gave the guy 25k and the original guy comes to get his cars im out the 25k.

So I'm back to waiting to see how the new guy wants to proceed. I will for sure let you guys know.

And a big THANKS to all who questioned if this was legal because I would have bought the cars no questions asked, and then I might be on here looking for a place to live when the wife kicked me out for losing our savings lol.  :cheers:

Offline 'Cuda Hunter

• Sr. Resident
  • Tastes Like Chicken
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2009 - 02:23:17 PM »
Well, if you charge the new owner 25K to store the cars and you have proof of this on a signed invoice, then the old owner has to come up with the 25k for car removal and storage before he can have them legally. 
So, in that time you could simply wait the 60 days and file for a lein. 
Still seems worth all the trouble. 
I am sure there is probably a ton of tools and parts that are available to be moved also.

"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Offline 69bronzeT5

• SRT Guru
  • Mopar or No Car
    • Forgotten Mopars
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2009 - 02:25:51 PM »
 :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
Associate Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger
1970 Coronet
1971 Charger R/T
1971 Road Runner
1989 VW Cabriolet
2004 SRT-4
2006 Grand Cherokee SRT8
2008 Challenger SRT8
2016 Wrangler Unlimited
2017 Ram 1500 Rebel

Offline MOPAR FANATIC

• Resident
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2009 - 06:13:00 PM »
 :hyper:  :popcorn:  :popcorn:  :hyper:
71 Challenger 340 a/t
2013 Plum Crazy Hemi R/T 6SPD

Offline The Cuda Guy

• Support Our Troops
  • Resident
  • Pearl Harbor, HI
    • C-C.com
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2009 - 06:27:06 PM »
There is a way to be creative and get this done!  Just think.

Don
The Cuda Guy Project is on going!

Member Since January 14, 2002

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2009 - 09:49:31 PM »
Man this one really took a turn. I am all for trying to get the cars but if the guy is unstable enough to lose his house with all that auto equity sitting there he definitely has some emotions tied up in the cars. Be very careful that the guy is not sitting back waiting to do something stupid to the "first sumbich to come get my cars"  Still its easy for me to feel sorry for the guy because his position definitely sucks.
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline Aussie Challenger

• Resident
  • In Kansas loaded for Drive to West Coast.
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2009 - 10:35:01 PM »
  If you do the tow away and storage deal, put them in storage some where out of sight (not at your place) and you will at least have a receipt that the original owner will have to refund you. The new owner must know of these problems about the ownership and just really wants them removed and hopefully make a few extra dollars. As he has bought this property he would have received legal advise as well, if he truely owned the cars he would be advertising them to make their true value.
  If you can title them in 60 days on a mechanic's lien why not make a deal with the new owner that you will pay him a small deposit, which hopefully you will recoupe on the extras that are in the garage and then $XX after the 60 days, he obviously doesn't want to put in any effort.
  Best of luck, keep us posted.    :popcorn:   :cheers:
Dave

Offline whitesatinmopar

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 3/30/02
« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2009 - 08:28:32 AM »
At first this all sounded remarkable and definately a situation to take advantage of even if they were just GM stuff. Now after this progression of at least potential circumstances it seems that in order to get these cars you may be taking advantage of the original owner, and his predictiment? That would make me feel very uneasy?  :dunno:

:2cents: Taking advantage of a situation is one thing, taking advantage of an individual is another. Especially if he is "short" on logical thought processing. ? ?
1969 Polara 500 vert.
1970 Charger 500
1971 Dart Swinger
1972 R/R 440+6 (wanabe)
1973 Challenger

Offline cwestra

« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2009 - 08:44:38 AM »
At first this all sounded remarkable and definately a situation to take advantage of even if they were just GM stuff. Now after this progression of at least potential circumstances it seems that in order to get these cars you may be taking advantage of the original owner, and his predictiment? That would make me feel very uneasy?  :dunno:

:2cents: Taking advantage of a situation is one thing, taking advantage of an individual is another. Especially if he is "short" on logical thought processing. ? ?

My thoughts exactly.  It's only natural to want to get a good deal but it usually comes at the expense of someone else.  Have some compassion with the fellow car enthusiast.  Afterall, he just lost his house.  If you want the car(s), then offer the current legal owner a fair price.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009 - 11:12:06 AM by cwestra »
Corey - in Northern Indiana

Offline wiiildcat

« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2009 - 03:19:21 PM »
My thoughts exactly.  It's only natural to want to get a good deal but it usually comes at the expense of someone else.  Have some compassion with the fellow car enthusiast.  Afterall, he just lost his house.  If you want the car(s), then offer the current legal owner a fair price.

Man Im at a lost on how to reply to this and the one before it?  :dunno: How am I taking advantage of him? Im lost.

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2009 - 04:18:07 PM »
The way I see the owner of the vehicles has been given more than enough opportunity to first sell cars to save his house, and second when he decided not to sell them to save his and he lost his house has had more than enough time to remove. He obviously doesn't care that much about them since he hasn't moved them. I know if it were me they would either have been sold a long time ago or they would be moved already. i would not take the chance of loosing them like this guy is. But that's just me.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe