found a bunch of cars but....................

Author Topic: found a bunch of cars but....................  (Read 4985 times)

Offline 1BADFISH™

• Resident
Re: found a bunch of cars but....................
« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2009 - 04:23:24 PM »
The way I see the owner of the vehicles has been given more than enough opportunity to first sell cars to save his house, and second when he decided not to sell them to save his and he lost his house has had more than enough time to remove. He obviously doesn't care that much about them since he hasn't moved them. I know if it were me they would either have been sold a long time ago or they would be moved already. i would not take the chance of loosing them like this guy is. But that's just me.

I agree, the guy obviously has had lots of time to do what he wants with the cars..if they were important to him, they would be gone....period. If you can get them, go for it..... :2thumbs:   :bigsmile:

Dave
Charlottetown, PE
2014 GMC Sierra Crew Cab White Diamond edition.
1970 Dodge Challenger 340-6 4spd.
*Member Since* Oct 11, 2005

Offline cwestra

« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2009 - 04:55:57 PM »
My thoughts exactly.  It's only natural to want to get a good deal but it usually comes at the expense of someone else.  Have some compassion with the fellow car enthusiast.  Afterall, he just lost his house.  If you want the car(s), then offer the current legal owner a fair price.
You're right, wiiildcat.  I was a bit out of line.  Sounds like you're going about it properly.  I just feel for the car owner.  I'd hate to lose my car due to any misunderstanding of the law.  You can bet that if he owns these vehicles outright, which he probably does, then he won't willingly let them go for nothing.
Corey - in Northern Indiana

Offline quapman

• Resident
    • Auto-Grip on Facebook
« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2009 - 07:42:37 PM »
What if they're not HIS cars?

How does he get them back if they're stored on property that he has no legal right to occupy or access?

Quite a twisted web that's been woven!
My name is Steve and I'm addicted to Challengers...

Offline moparmaniac59

• Resident
  • Drive it like ya stole it!
« Reply #48 on: March 05, 2009 - 09:43:18 PM »
I'd offer to store them for the ORIGINAL owner instead of the house flippin' new owner. That way if the original owner gets his stuff straight, he'll get his cars back, but owe you for storage and a BIG favor. Maybe he'd reconsider (especially in his current financial situation) selling one of the jewels to you for helping him out. And if he doesn't pay you for storage, then you'd be on your own for filing a mechanic's lien and not have to deal withe the second home owner.
Matt

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #49 on: March 05, 2009 - 11:25:06 PM »
By the house being flipped. You now own the hose and the cars :2thumbs:

Offline The Cuda Guy

• Support Our Troops
  • Resident
  • Pearl Harbor, HI
    • C-C.com
« Reply #50 on: March 06, 2009 - 01:39:39 AM »

That is what I was thinking to alan?  I mean Im sure they went through a lenghty legal process to get the house up for sale and gave the man at LEAST 30 days to get his **** out.  That is just me.

Don
The Cuda Guy Project is on going!

Member Since January 14, 2002

Offline cwestra

« Reply #51 on: March 06, 2009 - 07:03:21 AM »
The house I can see.  Afterall, he has the title to it.  I would think he'd need the title to the cars as well, in order to assume ownership.

Offline cwestra

« Reply #52 on: March 06, 2009 - 07:08:02 AM »
I'd offer to store them for the ORIGINAL owner instead of the house flippin' new owner. That way if the original owner gets his stuff straight, he'll get his cars back, but owe you for storage and a BIG favor. Maybe he'd reconsider (especially in his current financial situation) selling one of the jewels to you for helping him out. And if he doesn't pay you for storage, then you'd be on your own for filing a mechanic's lien and not have to deal withe the second home owner.
That sounds like you best shot at aquiring any of the vehicles.  The cars need to go somewhere, and keeping them in your sight in the event he is forced to sell them should give you first shot to make a deal.  If nothing else, you helped him out in the interim.

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #53 on: March 06, 2009 - 07:40:02 PM »
That sounds like you best shot at aquiring any of the vehicles.  The cars need to go somewhere, and keeping them in your sight in the event he is forced to sell them should give you first shot to make a deal.  If nothing else, you helped him out in the interim.

Although I feel sorry for the owner myself, I dont think storing them for him will do anything more than put you out of some time and money. If his past history is any indication, when the time comes to get his cars, he will probably throw a hundred or two at you and say thanks.
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline somedaysoon

« Reply #54 on: March 06, 2009 - 08:56:09 PM »
 I do feel for the guy but, if you don't get them a tow company will and he'll never see them again.   
 So what I would do is get them and don't forget all your documentation, including that from the person whom bought the house at auction, showing the person was given notice and time to remove the vehicles. This way you have proof that you did not steal them. After that I would try and make a deal for a vehicle as payment for the transfer and storage. I would do this because of guilt but you're helping him out because he will probably loose them all if not. He and a lot of others will try and make you feel guilty, but think how bad he will feel if he ends up with nothing. Terrible way to look at it and probably not right and I'm kind of on the fence about the guilt.  Chance's are he hasn't gotten them because he has no place to put them.  If they were mine they would have been out of there way before foreclosure, even if I had to park them in the street until I could figure something out.  Pete

Offline brianz426

« Reply #55 on: March 07, 2009 - 09:24:51 AM »
 :popcorn:

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
« Reply #56 on: March 07, 2009 - 09:51:58 AM »
I would think that the issue of the owner having the titles would be a moot point if the cars are officially declared abandoned  :dunno: .  If that's the case, then you would need to get some sort of documentation from the bank or whoever managed the property after he lost it, stating so.  No matter what, if you want to seriously pursue this, I would get a lawyer involved before any money changes hands, because it could get ugly.  The owner does not sound like he is willing to make any kind of "in-kind" deals, so I would just deal with the man who bought the property, and a lawyer.

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
  • My M46 Barracuda! Member Since:October 01, 2005
« Reply #57 on: March 07, 2009 - 09:55:46 AM »
 :iagree:  They were abandoned and I think getting a lawyer involved is a good idea also. 
Got a pretty good start on my M46 optioned Barracuda restoration but now it is on hold till I can gather more funds.  Still need a few parts for it.  SIU Graduate 75 AAS Automotive Tech, 94 BS Advanced Tech Studies, 1997 MSED Workforce Education and Development

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon

Offline kmyles

« Reply #58 on: March 09, 2009 - 10:55:34 PM »
So... What happened??? :clueless:
_________
Kevin

Mopar Lover....Cuda's....Challengers Rule!!!!
- 1951 Dodge - 2 door hardtop (Sold!!)
- 1971 Dodge Challenger
- 2012 Dodge Challenger Yellowjacket

Hard to believe what 20 years will do!!!!

Offline Purple73Cuda

« Reply #59 on: March 11, 2009 - 12:39:04 PM »
What's the latest? Any news?
John
'73 Cuda 340
'70 RR 440+6
'66 Charger 383