Author Topic: 70 Challenger forsale-needs finishing  (Read 9238 times)

Offline 704406bblcuda

Re: 70 Challenger forsale-needs finishing
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2009 - 11:19:39 AM »
I noticed torque boxes on the front.  Did you add those?

In '70, all U-code, V-code, R-code, convertables, AAR/TA's were "supposed" to come with the torque boxes standard.  There is no "option" code for them as far as I am aware.  I have owned 440 cars that had the rears, but no fronts.  I have seen many Los Angeles built '70 'Cuda and Challenger RT 340 and 383 cars that have the front torque boxes factory installed.  That may have been the standard at that plant.
'70 'Cuda 440+6bbl 4-spd 4.10 Dana N96 EV2 EV2
'69.5 A12 Bee 440 6pack 4-spd 4.10 Dana EV2 V1X
'69 Dart Swinger 340 4-spd 3.91 F6 V1X
'70 AAR 340+6bbl 4-spd 3.55 EB5 EB5 H6B5 Sold
'70 'Cuda 440+6bbl 4-spd 4.10 Dana N96 FK5 V1G Sold
'70 'Cuda 440+6bbl 4-spd 4.10 Dana N96 EK2 V1X Sold
'70 RR 383 4-spd 3.91 Sold
'99 Viper RT10 blck/cognac 488 6-spd Sold
'05 Ram 2500 CTD auto LWB Bully Dog beast!

Offline b570

« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2009 - 11:37:25 AM »
Great job on the interior, especially the carpet.  What's your secret?
Thank you!My secret is the camera...haha!The pictures really do it justice.I used dye from Automotive Color Supply on the panels.Scrubbed the crap out of everything.I put the carpet in first and worked on the wiring under the dash and put in the new column without any thing else installed.All the crawling around inside got the carpet pretty formed to the floor.Then I put the back seat and panels in.Then the front seat and door panel last.

Offline cwestra

« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2009 - 01:04:09 PM »
Thank you!My secret is the camera...haha!The pictures really do it justice.I used dye from Automotive Color Supply on the panels.Scrubbed the crap out of everything.I put the carpet in first and worked on the wiring under the dash and put in the new column without any thing else installed.All the crawling around inside got the carpet pretty formed to the floor.Then I put the back seat and panels in.Then the front seat and door panel last.
It came out well.  I am near the point of laying the carpet in mine.  To be honest, when I folded it out of the tight box it was in, it is hard to believe it will lay in there as nice and smooth as yours.  If I can ask, did you use any spray adhesive on it?  I'd sure like to get mine as nice as yours.
Corey - in Northern Indiana

Offline b570

« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2009 - 01:29:15 PM »
It came out well.  I am near the point of laying the carpet in mine.  To be honest, when I folded it out of the tight box it was in, it is hard to believe it will lay in there as nice and smooth as yours.  If I can ask, did you use any spray adhesive on it?  I'd sure like to get mine as nice as yours.

No adhesive.I forgot to tell you...I had the pieces of carpet out of the box and layed out on my basement floor all winter.That really helped.Also all the crawlining around on the floor once I had it layed in.Up close,its not perfect by all means! It had no holes for the seats or belts.It was very hard to drill  up through the holes in the floor for the seat studs.It would help if you have 2 people.Plus I didnt put in holes for seat belts.I never got any with the car so it will be up to the person who buys it.Ive seen sets for 400$ in blue on Ebay stores.

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2009 - 04:08:20 PM »
It was very hard to drill  up through the holes in the floor for the seat studs.
Use a soldering iron to burn through from underneath. If you use a drill, you could wind up threads that pull out all of the way to the side. The heat also keeps the ends from fraying forever.

Too bad you didn't paint the column and dash. I thought only white and black interiors had those parts black. I never really thought about it till I saw your pics.

Rob
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline MoparMan440

• Drive fast, take chances !
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2009 - 05:40:41 PM »
Use a soldering iron to burn through from underneath. If you use a drill, you could wind up threads that pull out all of the way to the side. The heat also keeps the ends from fraying forever.

Too bad you didn't paint the column and dash. I thought only white and black interiors had those parts black. I never really thought about it till I saw your pics.

Rob

Not sure about the dash pad but I thought only Rallye dash cars has the painted column unless it was a super early car. Early cars also had the black column with the Rallye dash. Anyone else hear this ? What about the pad ?

Offline b570

« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2009 - 09:18:34 PM »

Rob

That is a great way to put the holes in the carpet.Yes I did get some strands pull through.I burned them after.

The dash  pad is not the factory dash pad.I think its from a 71.The column was original black.I know that.I think its an early car.Door says 69.

Offline b570

« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2009 - 07:16:47 PM »
The  Challenger is now drivable.I took it to a buddies shop this morning and he finished up the linkage fabricating.I test drove it and it barks 2nd gear.

Offline acudanut

« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2009 - 11:47:12 PM »
That is a great way to put the holes in the carpet.Yes I did get some strands pull through.I burned them after.

The dash  pad is not the factory dash pad.I think its from a 71.The column was original black.I know that.I think its an early car.Door says 69.
Another way is to put a cheap phillips screw driver over a propane torch.  It makes a good clean hole also.  For grins I made my S-driver into a sharper point (shank).

Offline b570

« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2009 - 02:04:57 PM »
Ill be putting plates and insurance on it next week.I got the new rear valance on it now just waiting for a liscense plate! Ill be driving it to local shows with the forsale signs in it.

Offline b570

« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2009 - 10:10:36 PM »
Plated and insured!!!!

Offline brianz426

« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2009 - 05:24:14 PM »
Very nice car good luck with the sale.

Offline boydsdodge

• Top end's unlimited....Aaaauuuuugghhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!
    • Boydsdodge
« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2009 - 09:46:55 PM »
How is the rust on your car? Are the window areas ok for rust?
Under the vinyl?
Jackson from Toronto.

Offline 71bigblock

• Sr. Resident
    • Steve's Mopars
« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2009 - 10:30:45 PM »
Man, if this car was up 2.5 years ago, it'd be gone.   It would have been mine.  Great price for a great looking car. 

Offline b570

« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2009 - 11:55:55 PM »
How is the rust on your car? Are the window areas ok for rust?
Under the vinyl?

Thanks guys!!!!

There is some lumps under the vinal top in the back so Im assuming there is rust under there.Other them that most of the rust is on the underbody.It was "undercoated" at one time.