Author Topic: Ideas for FM  (Read 4706 times)

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Ideas for FM
« on: March 06, 2009 - 12:28:57 AM »
well my car is radio delete so I am not cutting the fender for the antenna , I have the factory AM /FM radio what is the best way to get tunes , can an Ipod or MP3 player hooked into it , I know there was another thread on installing hidden antennas but the consensus seemed to be that they didn`t work unless someone has a good idea

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline fantum

Re: Ideas for FM
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009 - 12:38:21 AM »
Have you looked into satellite radio?  They have "hidden" antennas and you don't lose your station while on long trips.  Down side is they cost about $12 per month.
Mike

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009 - 01:08:53 AM »
I thought of that , problem is Serius only has 2 stations that look interesting to me , I cannot hear them before signing up , if they are like the local stns & have an 8 song playlist that they randomly rotate through & will get sick of it in less than 1 hr ,  I would be paying $12 / month & the car will sit most of the time unless there is a wat ro have it in my truck 99% of the time & can be connected into the car for a few hours occaisionally
 XM only has 1 stn I am interested in

Offline fantum

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009 - 01:17:31 AM »
My son got one for Christmas and the installation was quite easy.  He is still playing around trying to find stations he likes and says "they have too many channels."  One of the good things is they are supposed to be commercial free.  If you plan on swapping it between two vehicles you will need an additional docking station with antenna.   Maybe you might want to go to Radio Shack and play with the ones they have on display to determine how much you like it.

As far as your earlier question regarding using MP3 players to pick up local stations, I believe you will not be happy with the outcome.  I find that the signal fades if you turn 90 degrees in the wrong direction.  How about one of the antennas that attaches to the windshield or rear window?  It won't be quite as good as the standard antenna on the fender/quarter, but will be much better than nothing or the MP3 player.
Mike

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2009 - 01:25:29 AM »
I know Sat radio is not commercial free , they still advertize themselves for some stupid reason , I will look into seperate docking stns
 just looking for ideas

Offline fantum

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009 - 01:32:42 AM »
I have one last idea.  When I was into CB radios I had a magnetic mount antenna that I put on my trunk.  Maybe you could find something similar for your car.  That way you can listen to your favorite radio station while driving, then easily remove it when you don't want it to show.

P.S.  I did say they were supposed to be commercial free  :walkaway:
Mike

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2009 - 01:38:25 AM »
I believe radio shack sells a kit to covert your coax on your radio over to a magnetic antenna that you could run to the front bumper. Or place it anywhere for that matter. It is about the size of a silver dollar.  Instead of it exiting on top of the fender, you can keep it hidden and all the way up front

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009 - 10:39:38 PM »
Well we no longer have Radio shack up here & the company that bought it out has no clue
 do you know for sure you can get it at Radio Shack , if so how much ?

sleepychallenger

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2009 - 11:17:25 PM »
if you have an IPOD, you can use it without any antennas. either with cables or the wireless feature. it is a small transmitter that you plug in the bottom of the ipod, tune the transmitter to a full static station that is static on the radio, and it is like having your own little radio station in your own car. i got one from wal mart for $50 and i love it.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2009 - 11:19:36 PM »
that or MP3 will be the next choice

sleepychallenger

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2009 - 11:21:23 PM »
i have an mp3 as well, just not as satisfied with it so i had to upgrade  :bigsmile:

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2009 - 11:24:16 PM »
if you have an IPOD, you can use it without any antennas. either with cables or the wireless feature. it is a small transmitter that you plug in the bottom of the ipod, tune the transmitter to a full static station that is static on the radio, and it is like having your own little radio station in your own car. i got one from wal mart for $50 and i love it.

:iagree: ....I've seen them for as little as $25
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2153340550%201326223634&name=FM%20Transmitter
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2009 - 11:30:39 PM »
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2009 - 12:03:11 AM »
My old boss had Sirius radio. It was DA BOMB. It's worth it just for Howard Stern.
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

Offline 'Cuda Hunter

• Sr. Resident
  • Tastes Like Chicken
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2009 - 11:29:31 AM »
Sirius does have some commercials on stations like the comedy and news stations. 
All the music stations that I listen to don't really have any commercials.
The songs aren't played over and over again.   I very rarely hear the same some in a 10 hour time period.
Since XM and Sirius has merged, the stations are a little screwy.  They still havn't put everything together.
I have both XM and Sirius.  Can't get Shade 45 on my XM but I can still get it on my Sirius.
The reception is phenomenol.  I can get stations when I am in the middle of no where in the mountains.
Since I installed the set up, I have gotten docks for several of my cars. I can't live without it.
I got a dock for work and for my home.  Matter of a fact, I purchased a set up for my Dad and my Mom, and my Wife.  The second subscription is only 6 bucks a month, so when your wife decides she likes it, it won't cost you much to get her one.
The satellite systems are well worth the money!!  And I do mean WELL worth the money.

The MP3 player of Ipod on the FM transmitter works fine also, you just don't have hundreds of channels to scan through when you are tired of listening to your own music.  And you have to download your own music on the MP3 and the IPOD.   
I use all these systems as I am kind of a music junkie.
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee