Alterkation K-member & Disc Brakes

Author Topic: Alterkation K-member & Disc Brakes  (Read 9427 times)

Offline wiging19

Alterkation K-member & Disc Brakes
« on: March 06, 2009 - 07:09:43 PM »
 :naughty: It looks like I may be going to an alterkation front end for my challenger.  Over the years I've upgraded my brakes to the 11.75 system recommended in many mopar web sites.  I'm wondering if I have to give up those brakes when I put the alterkation k-member on my car.   I payed through the nose for the system but have been very happy with it.  I know the alterkation comes with the ford mustang 2 spindles.  I know quite a few people have gone to the Alterkation front end and been very happy.

My second question is if I have to by a new system what size?  I have a 1970 challenger convertible with frame connectors, putting in a hemi engine with about 600 hp, auto with an original dana 60 rear (3.54 gearing).  I'll be taking the car with a young family totaling five people so I want good stopping power.  I'd appreciate any feedback you'd care to share.  Thanks.  :worshippy

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
Re: Alterkation K-member & Disc Brakes
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009 - 07:37:06 PM »
Welcome to the Alterkation family enjoy.  :wave:
There are about 5 others currently doing builds with similar setups in the resto section.  :working:

I would ask Bill about the brakes parts he would know.  :dunno: What parts do you have someone on CC may know also.  :clueless:

IMHO on what brake size would work best it’s a matter of choice 1st one being how deep your pockets are.  Second how large of wheel you are planning to run.  :burnout:

I have a 70 challenger convertible 500 horse hemi also with an Alterkation setup with 12.19 inch wilwoods on all 4 corners with hydrobust master cylinder and I am planning on 17 inch wheels.  :rofl:

I hope to be able to stop on a dime and get 9 cents change.  :22yikes:

keep us posted  :popcorn:

« Last Edit: March 07, 2009 - 11:06:34 AM by thedodgeboys »
Go Fast & Have Fun...
70 6.1 HEMI 6-speed Drop Top...

Offline wiging19

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009 - 10:52:17 PM »
:working: I originally bought a brake master set up in 1998.  I didn't like the brakes they had and switched over parts to the original pin sliding brakes.  Slowly replacing the brake master setup with Mopar original parts (rotors, spindles, caliper brackets and calipers) off of various dodge cars of the seventy eras.  Most of the parts haven't seen more than 500 miles before I found out my engine and transmission had gone in the dumper.  Bought a crate engine and built up from there (1996).  Unfortunately I bought my engine before it was common knowledge they needed to be gone through.  So I'm upgrading everything now to do things right this time around including having Mopar classic car or race builder (Mopar specific guys).

I'm thinking of running 17 inch rims because I like some of the rims other people on this sight have shared.  I might go 18 inch but I'm not sure.  I'm tempted to go with the largest I can buy through Alterkation.  It seems the 18 inch rims have a larger performance selection than the 17.  I don’t want to upgrade and then not be able to buy performance tires like it currently is for the 15 inch rims. 
 :blah:

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009 - 05:20:34 AM »
looks like you will be trading in your current brake setup. Sorry, The good news is someone may buy them.  :thumbsup:

I heard about them early hemis from mopar   :scared:

sounds like you are on the right track now 17 or 18 would be fine IMO lots of choices.

good luck  :bananasmi
Go Fast & Have Fun...

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2009 - 10:22:32 AM »
You can't use your 11.75 brakes on the Alterkation set up, but because of the Mustang 2 spindles in the Alterkation, you do have a wide choice of brakes you can add. Bad news is it is going to cost more money. Good news is you can recoup some of it by selling your current set up.

Size wise I'd recommend the largest rotors you can fit within the wheel you choose. This would be a 12.19" rotor for a 15" wheel, 13" for a 17" wheel or 14" for an 18" wheel. Braking force is generated by the leverage you create at the outer diameters of the rotor, so the larger diameter rotor, the greater the braking force.

Offline Devil

• Forward, Together Forward
    • Ryan's Cars in Barns
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2009 - 03:06:24 PM »
I wouldn't touch an Alter-K in anything other then a drag car.  Doesn't distribute the load of the supension very well, and has the possibilty, of ripping out of the car.  It hasn't happened yet, but it can happen in theory.  The strength just isn't there for long term use.

Ryan
Ryan's Cars in Barns

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hemipwr70/
http://carsinbarns.blogspot.com

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
71 Challenger R/T Clone
69 Charger R/T SE
70 Barracuda
74 Dart Swinger
93 RamCharger
88 Caprice Classic Brougham

Offline wiging19

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2009 - 05:08:40 PM »
Thanks for the feedback.  I've looked at quite a few different systems.  For what I want to do with my car I think the Alterkation is what I want.   If I had a hard top car and roll bar in it I'd take it up another level.  For my purposes and expectations the Alterkation will exceed my needs.   Now I know I have to replace the Brakes and after looking at tire diameters I believe I will go with an 18 inch rim.  Probably a 14 inch rotor.  Will my steering column work or will I have to replace that too?  I've heard XV has for their system.  On the other hand I do like having the exterior look pretty stock. :wave:

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2009 - 08:27:49 PM »
Good choice  :2thumbs:

Yes your colum will work fine Bill will send you the stuff needed to adapt it over.

Here are 4 of my favorite builds with the Alterkation enjoy  :bigsmile:

http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=39316.30

http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=28388.0

http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=48709.0

http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=41617.0
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009 - 08:49:00 PM by thedodgeboys »
Go Fast & Have Fun...

Offline wiging19

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2009 - 10:37:38 PM »
I noticed you didn't have your rotors slotted or vented.  Is that something your saving for later or you find there really isn't a need?  I've seen your posts on a couple of sites when you were investigating your front end.  Did you go with the rear lynx system or stay with the rear leaf system?

Offline autoxcuda

• Spring Fling
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2009 - 12:31:29 AM »
I noticed you didn't have your rotors slotted or vented.  Is that something your saving for later or you find there really isn't a need?  I've seen your posts on a couple of sites when you were investigating your front end.  Did you go with the rear lynx system or stay with the rear leaf system?

Slots and holes are mostly overrated. May be usefull if you take it on the track. The holes should be casted in, not drilled. The drilling causes stress cracks, so better to get slotted rotors.

At that point I'd sure upgrade up to the good willwood brakes that are 13" and large 6 piston calipers.
Spring Fling XXX
April 22 & 23 2016

at Woodley Park Van Nuys, CA.
Special 30th Anniversary Event!
600+ Mopars, 300+ swappers,  50+ manf. midways.
Thrus: Mopar Track Day at Willow Springs Raceway
Fri: Caravan & Cruise
Sat: Mopar Cruise-In

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2009 - 05:37:54 AM »
 :iagree:
 and my  :2cents:
The slots and holes are for looks on the street and offer no real benefits below a certain temperature you will not see on the street. I also believe they don’t stop any faster maybe slower on a street car with less braking surface. I am building my car to drive a lot; money matters they are cheaper and easier to have resurfaced & replace I also hope they should last longer.  Both slotted and drilled rotors increase pad wear compared with plain rotors because the edges of the holes or slots act like a cheese grater to the pad's cheese. Just how much wear increases depends on pad composition, number of slots or holes plus how sharp-edged the slots or holes are.  :rofl:
Go Fast & Have Fun...

Offline wiging19

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2009 - 02:34:32 AM »
 :worshippy thanks for the feedback.  I have read alot of articles on brakes for the E-body and most state if you have the upgraded brakes like I have your better off staying with them unless you get the larger size brakes which I intend to.  I had not heard the issue with potential stress fractures which I really appreciate hearing.  I plan to be driving my car alot but not using the brakes like you would on a race course.  I just want really solid brakes for my ride.  To protect all the money I've put into it and primarily to keep my family safe.  I grew up on english cars and their brakes were constantly failing so I have an ingrained need for really good brakes.  I won't focus as much then on the drilled and slotted brakes any more.  In several articles the key point raised in rotor size and the amount of pad applied to it making the big difference.

I had replaced all the suspension parts on my car in anticipation of putting a Hemi oriented K-Member on the car.  I have an original rebuilt dana 60 with 3.54 that was out of a 1970 RT challenger.  New leaf springs, Koni shocks and poly cushions in all the rubber parts.  I've replaced the front end with mainly poly parts except the ball joints are all Moog parts.  I bought an upgraded torsion bar that is on level above 1.  I can't remember what the next size is.  My PST bar currently in the car is I believe a 98.  I currently have sway bars on the front and rear of the car.  Upgrading to that level made the car a much nicer handling car than it was.  I suspect that the whole front end was shot.  I also had installed a tighter gear ratio in the power steering box which complemented the overal ride. 

I'm hoping we can get the front end in and all the other bells I want to install by the end of May.  I really want to enjoy the car this summer.  If the alterkation improves on what I had previously I will be very impressed.  I have ceramic coated TTI headers with the X crossing system to put in the car.  It will be blowing through 3" pipes so the extra space in the engine compartment will be nice.  I will be upgrading the airconditioning to use a more modern compressor which I purchased through Classic Air so we can press the pedal for power and be cool inside the car.  The interior and exterior of the car looks pretty close to original. I've spent most of my time buying new chrome parts before I discovered my Engine and Tranny needed to be replaced. 

Saturday I'm having the engine transmission builders come look at the car to discuss installing the Alterkation in the car.  Then go over all the other items we need.  Most of which I've purchased and are just sitting in my garage.  I'm stoked and ready to go.  I've owned the car since 1994 and this is my taking it over the top moment.  This is my one vice I won't give up.  It ties back in a special way to my parents who are both gone now.  My working on cars came from growing up with my dad.  We couldn't afford to pay other people to fix our cars and my mom's estate to me has paid for all the improvements to the car since I've been married.  I appreciate your helping me spec out the direction I'm going with the car.  I want to do it right but not add anything extra that really is beyond my real needs.  :chatting:

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2009 - 06:52:17 AM »
Sounds like you are on the right track  :2thumbs: do you have any pictures?

:useless:

Go Fast & Have Fun...

Offline wiging19

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2009 - 05:34:37 PM »
I have to clean up the area around the car for pictures.  I'll probably need help resizing the pictures I do take since I've never insert pictures in the forum before.  I'll include a picture of the car last time I drove it and then shots of all the parts I have waiting to go on the car.  The TTI and March serpentine system are at the engine builders house so I won't have pictures of them.  I'll do that this weekend.